US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq

US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq

Jun 15 05:48 PM US/Eastern

A month after US army reservist Matthis Chiroux publicly refused to deploy to Iraq, the former sergeant on Sunday set himself up for possible prosecution by failing to report for active duty with his unit in South Carolina.

"Tonight at midnight, I may face further action from the army for refusing to reactivate to participate in the Iraq occupation," Chiroux told reporters in Washington.

"I stand here today in defense of those who have been stripped of their voices in this occupation, the warriors of this nation...", Chiroux read from a statement as his father Rob, who had travelled to Washington from Alabama to support his son on Father's Day, stood beside him.

Last month, Chiroux rejected an order calling him back to active duty in Iraq, saying he considers the war "illegal and unconstitutional."

Chiroux served five years in the army, with tours in Afghanistan, Japan, Germany and the Philippines.

He was honorably discharged last year and was placed in the Individual Ready Reserves (IRR), a pool of former soldiers who can be "reactivated" in a national emergency or war.

Prior to the Iraq war, IRR members were rarely recalled to active duty, according to the Military Times, an independent newspaper for members of the US armed forces and their families.

"Many believed they never would be called -- but when the army found itself stretched by unexpected combat demands in Iraq in the summer of 2004 it began issuing mobilization orders," Military Times wrote in an article published a year ago on Sunday.

According to the paper, hundreds of IRR members "refused to report or simply ignored their mailed mobilization orders."

Matthis' father Rob, a rocket scientist who lives in the army town of Huntsville, Alabama, said mobilizing IRR members was a form of back-door draft.

"If our country is in such a dire emergency that we need to conscript manpower, congress has to vote to reinstate the draft," the elder Chiroux told AFP.

"But they won't do that because if congress said we need to bring back the general draft, the war in Iraq would be resolved very quickly," he said.

"Moms and dads, who represent millions and millions of voters, would say: wait a minute -- you want to draft my kid? Iraq's got to stop."

Ellie

I would settle for:
    1. Government reimbursement for all college expenses,
    2. 5 years in the stockade and
    3. Dishonorable discharge.

Ok, what part of "you signed the line" doesn't this guy understand. My wife thought I was going to get called back in 2004, when I was on the IRR list, and jokingly said that she would take me to Canada. I looked her dead in the eye and said, "I won't be that guy." She dropped it right there because she knew I took this very seriously.

We are a volunteer military, when we sign those contracts, that is what it is and more. It's a symbol of your honor that you are going to give the branch you sign to the full time that you sign up for. I knew when I went that I would have to give eight years. I served a little over six on active duty and I knew there was a possibility that I would get called in the twenty months I had left on the IRR. Did I lose sleep over it, no, because I knew that I had signed myself to it. No one held a gun to my head, no one told me I had to sign or I would be a worthless or whatever.

I know I may never know what it's like to be in a combat zone, to have bullets whiz past me or watch a comrade die, I've been lucky, others haven't. If this guy doesn't want to go back because of that, then he needs to speak up. He's saying that this war is unconstitutional and illegal. Umm, hmm, we follow orders first, then we question them, or we go through the proper chains.

I don't know, I guess in my book this guy is just weak and didn't want to own up to the responsibility of the contract he signed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree OB .... he signed a doggone contract and if he was stationed in the Philipenes. Lucky him. Time for your turn in the barrel as a bullet sponge and go crying home to mommy. Ahh the bonus and the college freakin pay it back and run to Canada. That **** should even be in the news. Tell him to put on a pink shirt and run to berkely.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They just came out with a movie like this about a Army Soilder get deployed again. He must have watch it. In the start of the whole War back in 2001 there was a Marine L/Cpl in Hayward that refused to show up to his unit and he missed the movement out. He finally showed up two days later, first he said he did not want to kill anyone and then he said he was gay. This was all on the NEWS back then, I don't remember the L/Cpl name. It is better for them to not go over there because they will put someone in danger with their attitude. I would raither not have them in or there if I was still in, because they might be the ones on watch protecting you and end up getting you killed. Think about this and their messed up attitudes and what can happen in the zone.

Semper Fi

chicken **** dodger

Unfornuately for the rest of the u.s.a.. there are pieces of **** in the military.

Let the SOB make small rocks outta big ones! Better yet send him to china he's yellow n would fit right in.

Former journalist refuses to report for duty with Army
    By Leo Shane III, Stars and Stripes
    Mideast edition, Tuesday, June 17, 2007

WASHINGTON — A former Army journalist recalled to active duty this month refused to report to his new assignment Sunday night, citing his opposition to the Iraq war.

Matthis Chiroux, who served five years in the Army before separating last summer, said he expects and welcomes legal action resulting from his refusal, calling U.S. operations in Iraq an illegal occupation.

"I don’t feel like I’m doing anything illegal at all," he said. "We basically have no cause for military presence in Iraq.

"I’m making this decision because I believe my first loyalty is to the higher ideals of this country, which are being blatantly violated by our leaders."

Army officials said he faces charges of failure to report and desertion for the move, although no legal action has been taken yet.

He was scheduled to report to Task Force Marshall at Fort Jackson, S.C., by Sunday but instead held a news conference in the nation’s capitol to confirm his intentions not to return to the Army.

Chiroux, a sergeant, served overseas at several posts during his enlistment but spent only six days in Afghanistan and none in Iraq.

Since last August he has been attending college and working with Iraq Veterans Against the War but was recalled from the Individual Ready Reserve pool this year.

Two years ago, 1st Lt. Ehren Watada refused to deploy to Iraq with his unit, citing similar opposition to the war and was court-martialed. But a court case against him ended in a mistrial, and charges against him are still pending.

Several other active-duty members of Iraq Veterans Against the War have promised to leave the service or refuse to deploy if sent to Iraq, and last month they protested on Capitol Hill to highlight what they called an unjust occupation of Iraq. Chiroux said he is confident that a reasonable court would not find him guilty of any wrongdoing.

"It’s not about what job I’d do," he said. "Any order to deploy there is unlawful."

Ellie

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Because plenty of people(ya know morons)in this country, even those that say they took an oath or pledge....DON'T!
    Hell this man and a Senator displays his disdain for flag openly!

Their leader and possibly the next "Commander In Chief"

This kills me. The little jerk gets all the press. How about one story about a Marine receiving the Navy Cross? The press swear they" support the troops". Yeah, well print some pro troops stories!
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Too many of our sons have bled in Iraq for this "sgt" to step back and say No. Its ulimately selfish.

He needs to pony up or go to jail, then be deported to Iraq or Iran.

Too many have bled and died for this putz to pull this BS

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Mt step son earns three purple hearts in 8 days serving in Afghanistan and ths puke won't honor the oath he took at enlistment. I bet he does his Daddy and Mommy proud. Can you hear the gushing praise? "My son was to cowardly to defend the freedoms that gave him the chance to be a coward" "We are sooooo proud of him!"

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHMH View Post
    It is better for them to not go over there because they will put someone in danger with their attitude. I would raither not have them in or there if I was still in, because they might be the ones on watch protecting you and end up getting you killed. Think about this and their messed up attitudes and what can happen in the zone.
    Semper Fi
    As much as i think he's obligated, i have to agree with this. So keep him here for the rest of his time, and give him every **** detail there is. If he pulls any more crap, dishonorable discharge and brig time.

He has a contractial obligation...tha's the legal side. He has a moral obligation as a man and he is failing both. Congress ( self-serving ego maniacs ) need to re-instate the draft but they have NO clankers...two years obligation...what's the big deal...can't everyone pay some respect to their country ? Item two, can anyone refuse to fight if they don't agree with the conflict / war ? Past history indicates serious trouble for those who have tried and he should be no different. Congress opened this door.....whom do you think should close it ?

SEMPER FI....>Chuck

Thread Information