Making Lance at boot? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeab84 View Post
    First, I'm ready for all of you to put me in my place for even asking about a promotion before boot!

Can you make LCpl in boot w/o an e-2 promotion going in or making Honor Grad. And what would someone with low ISTs do to make up for that?

I want to lead, but w/me ISTs at 3, 81 and 12:19 I don't want to hold the platoon back. I will give 1000%, as all recruits should at boot.

Any advice on the promotion opportunities and wanting to take a leadership position?

As always, thank you for any advice (or any bit of putting me in my place as well)!
    Because I am in a good mood this morning, I will give you this to read:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...earchid=338179

To address the statement that it can't be done.......ask Cpl Covey_Rider!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Lance Corporal Covey_Rider on graduation day! (now Corporal)
    It can be done, it can be done!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DomsBootCampPics019.jpg‎
Views:	191
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	5432  

Quote Originally Posted by m60mudmarine View Post
    Allen 870922, I was reading your quote & you made a statement that you could only get L/Cpl if you were a PFC, when you go into Boot Camp everyone's a PVT there are no PFC recrute's, I know it's been 42 yrs since I was a Boot busting his ass on the Grinder, the Corps could not have changed that much.

Semper Fi
    Very well Marine, I'll rephrase. If you go to boot camp as a contract PFC after you earn the title... Now the rest can be filled in and such.

Mikeab84, right after the crucible now, if you make it, you are handed your Eagle, globe, and Anchor and are officially a Marine. If you went in as a contract PFC you get to wear the PFC chevrons on your collar, you can talk in the first person and call your DIs by their rank and name.

What in the hell have they done to my Marine Corps, now they're giving out guarantee's if you finish boot camp you'll get PFC, it used to be you had to earn your chevrons there were no guarantee's.

Next your going to tell me that the DI's don't get up close & personal when you screw up, on the program The Makeing of Marine's they showed the DI take his cover off & have some sort of pow wow in the middle of the squad bay with his recrutes like it was some kind pep talk. Dam things sure have changed.

In 1966 if you didn't get it right you might just get a call to the Duty Hut for what our DI's used to call a closed door motovational meeting, we referred to it as "Thump Call", I take it they don't do that either. Chesty would not be amused, not one bit.

Semper Fi.

You get PFC for different reasons. Most common is getting 2 people to sign up. You can also get it for being in ROTC, Eagle scouts, and such. Another way is to get it in boot camp by meritorious because you were an outstanding recruit or because you had been on the island for 6 months or more.

Yes some Drill Instructors will still get "up close and personal" if you **** up. They like to look around first to make sure no one is around.

And that whole thing about the Drill Instructor taking off his cover... There are times in boot camp when they become more mentor than killing you constantly. For most of training its just your SDI who does the mentoring. During the crucible and afterwards they are all mentors.

But that "Making of Marines" that you are talking about Sgt.. Its not a little "pow wow". You get a lot of classes during boot camp from your Drill Instructors.

Hey Allen870922, thanks for the up date, we didn't have the crucible when I was a shower shoe boot. Instead we had the PRT test & I've never heard the name poolees used when I was in, I heard & was called maggoit, worm, scum bucket, a grabasstic whale **** & a few other choice names, but never poolee. Do they give the new boots any exposure to other weapons such as the M-1 or the M-14 or is it just the M-16. When we went to Edson Range we were shooting at 200, 300 & 500 yrds with our M-14 has that changed any. Dam, it feels like I am Rip Van Winklecoming out of a 40 year sllep. Once again thanks.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by m60mudmarine View Post
    Hey Allen870922, thanks for the up date, we didn't have the crucible when I was a shower shoe boot. Instead we had the PRT test & I've never heard the name poolees used when I was in, I heard & was called maggoit, worm, scum bucket, a grabasstic whale **** & a few other choice names, but never poolee. Do they give the new boots any exposure to other weapons such as the M-1 or the M-14 or is it just the M-16. When we went to Edson Range we were shooting at 200, 300 & 500 yrds with our M-14 has that changed any. Dam, it feels like I am Rip Van Winklecoming out of a 40 year sllep. Once again thanks.

Semper Fi
    We train with the M-16A2. Still have to qualify by shooting at the 200, 300, and 500. But now there is a new requirement. That one is called table one. Its still scored the same. You have to get 190 or more to qualify and such. About 2 weeks later we have Basic Warrior Training(BWT). During that is what they call Table 2. You shoot from 25m away and have to get atleast 60 of a 100 points to qualify. Table 2 is added on your Table 1 score. So if you get Sharpshooter on Table 1 you can end up bumping it up to Expert(like I did) with table 2 if you do good enough.

Poolee is only used to refer to those who have enlisted in the DEP and are awaiting to leave. Once you get to boot camp you are a recruit, sh!tbag, b!tch, etc. until you earn the title.

Oohrah Sgt

Well it's good to hear some things haven't changed, is the M-60 still in use or has it been phased out? It was a ***** to have to hump but it sure came in handy when some serious fire power was needed.

In Viet Nam we had the 3.5 Rocket Launcher, the M-79, the .50 cal & the Law, we wore steel halmets, had flak jackets that weren't worth a crap & ate C-Rats, I know all that's changed & for the better.

I've seen Marine's do more with less in times when Joe Average would have been crapping in his Dockers & but as they say if anybody could be in the Corps then it wouldn't be the Marine's.

Semper Fi & thanks for the update.

Listen up everyone I just got back from a graduation at P.I. and out of 3oo+ recruits there were no L/Cpl among them. The highest person on the PFT was awarded PFC and also Highest expert was awarded PFC along with a lot of others that either were garunteed or was given meritorusly. Also I asked a recruit and was told that the Dress Blues are now being issued in boot camp to every one.It was really fun to go back just to see a graduation even though I didn't know one soul that was graduating but they are now all Marines just like me. So poolees and wannabes it can be done and will be done by many poolees both male and female so strive to do your best to join and excell in The Marine Corps.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im going in as an E2 out of boot, Im going to work my ass off...Lcpl would be nice because then id be 9 months out of Cpl.

Provided a low cutting score and a decent PFT and rifle score, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit View Post
    Im going in as an E2 out of boot, Im going to work my ass off...Lcpl would be nice because then id be 9 months out of Cpl.
    You are not going in as an E2 out of boot! You may be guaranteed PFC, provided you deon't screw up. E1, E2 etc are PAYGRADES not RANK designinations!! Marines that I knew served with referred to themselves by rank. Also, while I was on the field and after I know of guaranteed PFCs that came out as PVTs. I don't care how squared away you are, I wouldn't want you as a CPL -- why? Because at that point you have very little experience in your MOS or practical leadership experience. Basically, all you have is boot and training. That doesn't say your a bad individual, but a litlle seasoning would be good,

We had a Poolee Function this Saturday, And the CO Major Fallon was down there and I thought I would ask him about this topic.. I get to leave as a PFC because of collage creidts.. And Major Fallon said its a new policy if your make honor grad with a PFC prior, you have to score a 300pft to get Lance Corporal.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi170 View Post
    You are not going in as an E2 out of boot! You may be guaranteed PFC, provided you deon't screw up. E1, E2 etc are PAYGRADES not RANK designinations!! Marines that I knew served with referred to themselves by rank. Also, while I was on the field and after I know of guaranteed PFCs that came out as PVTs. I don't care how squared away you are, I wouldn't want you as a CPL -- why? Because at that point you have very little experience in your MOS or practical leadership experience. Basically, all you have is boot and training. That doesn't say your a bad individual, but a litlle seasoning would be good,
    Very well put Gunny they have ALOT to learn.

i don't know why, but i don't think anyone should graduate bootcamp a lcpl

Thread Information