Weapon Laws for Veterans
Create Post

Weapon Laws for Veterans

I was curious, I read somewhere that -federally- retired police officers and peace officers are permitted to carry weapons concealed, is the same true of retired/ex military? Just wondering.

Respectfully,
    A. West

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    no!

Just to clarify the corporal. UNFORTUNATELY NO!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    Just to clarify the corporal. UNFORTUNATELY NO!
    Why thank you Sgt! I appreciate it!

Semper Fi

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    I have a CFP.

Quite easy to acquire.

FBI background check takes 6 months.

Cost is ~100 bucks.

Good for 6 years. If it expires and you forgot to renew it, tough ****, you had your chance.

A copy of my DD-214/215 was all it took.

BUT, rules abound!!!

**** up with one rule and it's your ass.

ALSO, you are now on a list and Big Brother is watching.

I guess the worst thing is that it is not a reciprocal thing to all States.

Most states are now "shall issue" states meaning all you have to do is not be a felon or habitual drunkard (multiple DUI or alcohol arrests are how they decide that one), take a class, and send in some paperwork. You will then be able to carry in most places. If you happen to live in a state that doesn't issue permits, you can get a packet from Florida, fill it out, copy your DD214, send that in, and you'll be legal in much of the US.

The law that covers law enforcement officers is just that, law enforcement. And under this law, it actually got more difficult in many places. They now have to qualify yearly, just as they did when they were police officers. Citizens with permits do not have that requirement.

Credits
    Savings
    In NC it's fairly easy. Take a one day course that costs $89. Submit your certificate to the county Sheriff's office and fill out an app. and pay $90. In about 30 days, or so you have your concealed weapons permit. Interesting thing is knives fall into this category, not just guns. If you happen to get caught carrying where you shouldn't, or miss using your piece and have a CWP you get charged with a felony. Without a CWP you get a misdemeanor.

Since the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (18 US Code926C) was passed all Retired Officers (Federal, State and local) can carry concealed nationwide. BUT, you might be careful north of the Mason Dixon, especially in NYC or the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

My old department gives us retired credentials that state we can carry pursuant to the law. We have to go to the range every year for an eight hour day. Class room and day and reduced light quals are required. A fun day with old comrades.

Here in NC concealed carry permits are easy to obtain and we have about 28 states we are reciprocal with. I play it safe and have both

S/F
    Finger

Alas, gun laws are the only reason to hate living in California.
    CWP's are extremely hard to obtain here on the Left Coast. Even Reserve Police Officers are not automatically permitted to carry when not working.

Thread Information