A Tribute To John Wayne, The "Duke"!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation A Tribute To John Wayne, The "Duke"!!!

John Wayne was born on May.26.1907 in Winterset Iowa as Marion Robert Morrison.His parents were Clyde Morrison a pharmacist and Mary Morrison.The Duke passed away on June. 11. 1979 from a long bout with lung and stomach cancer.

Read more about the Duke:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/

Here is a little Trivia about John Wayne.

Did you know.....

That in 1980 he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom,the highest civilian award,by then President Carter

That he was voted the 4th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Prmiere Magazine.

That he adressed the Republican National Convention on its opening Day in 1968.

http://www.jwayne.com/biography.shtml

John Wayne was not only a patriot and hero on the screen,but also in true live.

Ellie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	john_wayne-vi.jpg‎
Views:	277
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	5421  

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What's really amazing,,, such a great actor only needed 1 character

Sparleys floopy

Sparkey I have your floppy hanging down.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You started early today,,,,, Have some respect. This is a John Wayne thread. The only actor I ever liked better was,,,well,,, None.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The Duke didn't like girly champagne so he christened his private helicopter with a bottle of tequila! That's True Grit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I believe John Wayne's trust fund still supports the Special Forces Museum at Fort Bragg, NC. Last time I was there (20-years ago), they had quite a John Wayne display, including a lot of his stuff from the movie "The Green Berets."

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Dark Green 0311

I want tell you what i think of John Wayne his views speak for me.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

John Wayne visited us in Vietnam!

It was the summer of 1966 and 3/9 was opcon to 1st MarDiv at An Hoa. My squad was just about to leave the perimeter for a patrol and we were ordered to stay put. It seems an important dignitary was choppering in to "see some troops!" A chopper approaches and starts receiving sniper fire as was SOP in those days. We're all standing around waiting for this dignitary to exit the chopper when all of a sudden this big guy comes through the hatch and jumps into a "Z" trench. There were no incoming rounds but he must have been told that An Hoa did receive incoming routinely. We are all trying to figure out 'who' this big shot was? As he was finally urged out of the trench and started walking towards us, it became apparent that it was none other than John 'F***ing' Wayne (his official name used by every Marine in the Corps) himself! The Marines were all saying, "that can't be John F***ing Wayne, he's not afraid of anything and would not be jumping into a trench! John Wayne greeted us and told us even though he had played in many war movies, this was the first time that he had actually been shot at for real in his life. We were all still amazed that John Wayne would be afraid of anything. He went on to tell us that he was gathering info for a new movie that ultimately became The Green Beret." He gave us a great pep talk but refused an invitation by one of our native American Indians to join us on patrol!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Where You From Son?????????????????????????????

JOHN WAYNE CAME TOO OUR WARD 3-C IN BETHESDA NAVAL HOSPITAL.HE WENT TOO "EVERY BED" ON THAT WARD,HE WAS CHOKED UP;THERE WERE MANY MANY BLOWN UP OR SHOT UP MARINES ON THAT WARD.HE STOPPED AT "EVERY BEDSIDE",AND THE MARINES WHO HAD HANDS STILL ON THEIR BODIES;HE SHOOK THEM.WE HAD EVERY RACE OF MEN ON THAT WARD IT WAS A GREEN RAINBOW.YES SGT.ZULA THAT IS A TIGHT SETUP AT FT.BRAGG.S/F I'M OUT~~~~~~~

I have many John Wayne "Trophies and images" To say I am a fan is an understatement. I have seen every movie he made, many times over, to include his early westerns.

Now buffs, how many did he die in, no fair looking it up

To the best of my knowledge he only died in one, The Sands of Iwo Jima. He played the same character he always played, but in this movie his name was Sgt Striker.

Ron Sharetts

The Duke also died in "The Alamo", played Davey Crocket......don't know of any more.

I still have this thing on my keychain that opens cans. We used to call it a "John Wayne". I don't know if today's Marines still get these things or not, but I do know that they were named that because of a scene in the movie "The Sands of Iwo Jima".

John Wayne was a great American!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THE ONE WHERE HE WAS AN OLDER COWBOY,DIEIN OF A DISEASE;WITH THAT SHOOTOUT IN THE BAR.TRUE GRIT MAYBEE???

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68 View Post
    THE ONE WHERE HE WAS AN OLDER COWBOY,DIEIN OF A DISEASE;WITH THAT SHOOTOUT IN THE BAR.TRUE GRIT MAYBEE???
    NO THATS THE SHOOTIST, BRO....!!!

Thread Information