Bad Water
Create Post

Thread: Bad Water

Exclamation Bad Water

Any one know anything conserning the bad water at Lejeune. I was there in 73-74..

If you go to marines.mil, they currently have a Camp Lejeune water study in the "Features" section and they urge anyone stationed there at the time to register. Just click on it and you will see blue box with a link to register.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbradley View Post
    Any one know anything conserning the bad water at Lejeune. I was there in 73-74..
    I was there from 2003 to 2006 i never drank the base water neither did anyone else it gave me the worst stomach cramps we only drank it when we had duty it helped keep us awake f###ed up isnt it.

I was there in 73-74 and the water was bad tasteing then so nothing changed about it. was glad to go to okinawa,

Camp Lejeune Water Study continuing

FRANK WALLIS
    Bulletin Staff Writer

The U.S. Department of the Navy is looking for Marines or other individuals who may have been exposed to contaminated drinking water while working on Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., from 1957 to 1987.

Nelson Law, a retired Marine living in Gassville, said he first learned about the contamination Sept. 2 while visiting relatives in Illinois. A Carterville, Ill., television station filed a report on the contamination and related survey and the potential that some Marines may have fallen through cracks in the U.S. Department of Defense's yearlong efforts to identify an estimated 75,000 military personnel who lived on the base during the 30-year study period.

Law, 66, was a motor mechanic for the Marines at Camp Lejeune from 1961-64.

"I don't want to scare anyone, but this is good general information that others may be interested in," said Law.

A Web site hosted by the U.S. Marine Corps is dedicated exclusively to the Camp Lejeune Water Study at https://clnr.hqi.usmc.mil/clsurvey/index.html. Marines who were stationed at Camp Lejeune during the study years are asked to register at that Web site or call the Marines toll-free at (877) 261-9782.

The contaminated water came from wells at three locations on the base that supplied water to treatment plants on base. The wells were shut down in 1984. Contractors for the Environmental Protection Agency first found tetrachloroethylene, dichloroethylene and benzene in drinking water in 1980, according to the Marine Web site. The chemicals are solvents used in an array of applications from dry cleaning to pesticides.

The tetrachloroethylene contamination was attributed to the waste disposal practices of a dry-cleaning service off base. Sources of other chemicals were traced to various underground storage facilities, according to the Web site.

Concentrations were measured in micrograms per liter ranging from 20 to 90. The EPA did not have regulatory standards in place for the chemicals at the relatively small levels at the time of discovery, according to the USMC.

The recurring presence of the chemicals led laboratory scientists to test the raw water supply from the wells that fed water treatment plants. Those tests found most wells on the base to be contaminated with the chemicals.

The EPA sent the information to the federal Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry in 1997.

Registry investigators have since screened some 12,598 former residents of Camp Lejeune and concluded that drinking water contaminated with the chemicals may be associated with elevated risk of decreased average birth weight, childhood cancers and birth defects. The investigation is ongoing.

Today, the EPA can act against water sources containing levels of tetrachloroethylene, dichloroethylene and benzene at 5 micrograms per liter or greater, according to Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

fwallis@baxterbulletin.com

Ellie

I was notified by the Dept. of Navy through the I.R.S. have called the toll free number and have registered hav`nt heard anything since.

I received the same notification through the IRS and responded online. I haven't heard anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Baker View Post
    I received the same notification through the IRS and responded online. I haven't heard anything either.
    Sgt. Baker if u hear anything give a hollar. I was aboard in 1973-1974. Before going to Okinawa

Camp Lejeune Water Study Registry

HEADQUARTERS MARINE CORPS -- Former residents and employees of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., can now register at the official Marine Corps water study website for notification and information purposes regarding past drinking water contamination.

The web registration is a tool intended to assist the Marine Corps in obtaining current addresses of Marines, dependents and civilians that lived or worked at Camp Lejeune prior to 1987. Once registered, at the official site https://clnr.hqi.usmc.mil/clsurvey the Marine Corps will be able to send individuals updates regarding the study by letter mail or e-mail. While the Marine Corps has obtained some personnel records of former residents and workers, many records are incomplete. We need all interested parties to register to ensure that our notification effort is as complete as possible...

Camp Lejeune Water Study

Welcome to the Camp Lejeune Water Study Web site.
    The Marine Corps cares about the health and welfare
    of its Marine Corps family. The purpose of this website
    is to provide you with the most current information on
    the Camp Lejeune drinking water issue. We also
    encourage you to register in order to receive updated
    information in the future and to collect contact
    information from former residents for future studies.
    The United States Marine Corps encourages all those who resided at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune between 1957–1987 to REGISTER now to receive updated information and notifications regarding the ongoing Water Study. If you know of any family members or friends who were at Camp Lejeune during this period, please encourage them to register.

The Marine Corps is reaching out to other government agencies in attempt to reach Marines, civilians, and family members who resided at Camp Lejeune, NC between 1957–1987.

In response to this effort, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will be sending out letters on our behalf. The IRS has not disclosed any addresses or other tax information and has no involvement in the matter aside from forwarding the HQMC letter. If you receive a letter from the IRS and are already registered, no action is required. If you are not registered, please click on the Registration link or call our toll free hotline: 1-877-261-9782. If you are already registered and need to update your information, please call the toll free hotline at the number provided.

https://clnr.hqi.usmc.mil/clsurvey/

Ellie

Thread Information