Man's direction, discipline is from Marine Corps

June 8, 2008

By Jim Hook, Staff Writer

Brian Schiller dropped out of Illinois State University after only a year.

"I didn't live up to my potential," he said matter-of-factly. "I went to Moraine Valley (Community College) and worked some odd jobs."

But for the resident of Chicago's Beverly community, there still was something missing from his life.

"I needed direction, and I needed discipline," said Schiller, 39. "So I enlisted in the Marine Corps.

"Outside of my children (Nick, 19, and Brittani, 11), joining the Marine Corps was the best decision of my life," he said.

Schiller has been a Marine for 18 years, during which time he has served three combat tours (one in Saudi Arabia as part of Operation Desert Storm and two in Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom) and served as a recruiter.

For the past three months, the gunnery sergeant has been in charge of the patient affairs team at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

"We're taking care of some real heroes," Schiller said, referring to the soldiers and Marines at the hospital recovering from burns and amputations suffered from the war. "I am honored to be able to help these great Americans."

He said he and his team are responsible for "every non-medical aspect" of their care and recovery.

"From administration to helping boost morale, we're here for them," said Schiller, who served as grand marshal of last month's Memorial Day Parade down Longwood Drive in Beverly.

Schiller spent seven years recruiting young men and women to become Marines. Then in 2005, he volunteered to deploy to Iraq.

"I had spent years enlisting men and women to go and fight," Schiller said. "I wanted to lead by example.

"So I went. And I hope I taught my own kids a lesson about sacrifice," he said. "I hope I taught all kids a lesson about sacrifice."

He said he is proud to serve his country. In fact, it's something each generation of Schillers has done since the Spanish-American War began in 1898.

Each generation has fought in combat, including World Wars I and II, Korea and Vietnam.

"God's will has always been to bring us home," Schiller said. "I love the Marine Corps. And I love this country."

Jim Hook can be reached at jhook@southtownstar.com or (708) 633-5961.

Ellie