Oif 1/ Oif 2 - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oif 1/ Oif 2

I'm sure airbases were very spartan back in the early days of the war. When I got to there in 06, they were pretty much garrison fwd. I remember Al asad, having an actual bus system driven by civilians, and multiple bus routes.

It was being on the major fobs where it was like a different world, one time we had to go do a casevac and while sitting outside of fallujah surgical, a gunny walked up and started devildogging Marines for not wearing covers and having dirty cammies. It got so bad that we had to put a cover in the back of the flack, where the sapi plates went in case we had to go to camp fallujah for a casevac so we wouldn't get lifed out by some fobbit

I was at Al Asad in 06 also. I do remember the bus systems also. But that doesn't mean I was stuck on base the whole time I was there! Who do you think built those FOBs you stayed in and kept the MSRs cleared of IEDs? Even though I was based out of Al Asad, I don't recall it being garrison fwd. My unit had its fair share of torn/dirty cammies. As for getting devildogged out, just give an "Aye Aye Gunny" and let him walk away and laugh afterwards. If you can't take an ass chewin and laugh at the bastard for giving it cause of the situation you were in then something is wrong. also It would help if your SNCO/Officer had a back bone to back your ass up to the gunny!

Why are you being so defensive?

Al Asad was camp cupcake. I'm sure you know that, since you've been helping build the fobs and everything. I'm sure you noticed that the multiple chowhalls were all much better then any in the states, let alone the ones on the fobs you helped build. You may have noticed that there were many people who NEVER left the wire and, as such, were disconnected from what was happening outside of it.

As for the ass chewings, well it's kind of hard to laugh about it when you're sitting right outside the building waiting to hear if one of your friends who just got shot is going to live. We worked at the squad level, so the highest rank out there was a Sgt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Why are you being so defensive?

Al Asad was camp cupcake. I'm sure you know that, since you've been helping build the fobs and everything. I'm sure you noticed that the multiple chowhalls were all much better then any in the states, let alone the ones on the fobs you helped build. You may have noticed that there were many people who NEVER left the wire and, as such, were disconnected from what was happening outside of it.

As for the ass chewings, well it's kind of hard to laugh about it when you're sitting right outside the building waiting to hear if one of your friends who just got shot is going to live. We worked at the squad level, so the highest rank out there was a Sgt.
    As for the chow halls from what i know there were 3. the big one from what I heard had a kitchen fire and burned to the ground and it was better than some in the states but it wasn't completed till a couple of months into the deployment. Also the Marines who never left the wire may have been disconnected but never stopped them from preforming their jobs which didn't intend for them to travel around on 8 to 24 hour convoys. For those of us who were there, we all lost a friend or two. And I'm being defencive cause you signed the line and raised your hand. If you can't handle the crap that comes with the job then being a Marine wasn't for you.

I am unfairly railing against everyone that didn't leave the wire. I know that every Marine has a job and it takes 10 support Marines for every grunt. I was just sick of those 10% that ruined it for the rest.

I was sick of suckdicks who picked up staff and boot Lts. that wouldn't listen to their NCOs. I think the day I decided to get out was when my boot platoon commander yelled at the entire plt. saying that we didn't know what combat was.

Why didn't you stay in?

Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Why didn't you stay in?
    Had Orders for Recruiting Duty. If there is anything I hate more is getting stuck behind a desk job. Found out when I was made Legal Chief for 7th ESB. I hated not going to the field and having some great training for a week or two. It was the worse year of my life in the Corps. So when I was told that I was to report to the school 5 days after my EAS I said no thanks and packed my bags. I refused the orders and went on my way. of course they gave me a crappy RE code but I don't care. I still work on Pendleton everyday and get a paycheck from the Navy bi-weekly! I would have rather been a DI or MCT Instructor. My last year in I got to use my 2nd MOS and was a Range Coach.

Ya know what, we're all Marines and everyday was a chance to lose your life out there. I had 2 specific times where I almost lost mine & luckily I didn't. I did 2 tours in Fallujah. I was there for when we built up Camp Fallujah & took command of Blue Diamond from the Army. I was there when we were getting hit with atleast 3-5 mortars a day. I was there when you barely could drive thru the Cloverleaf without a firefight. When I came back in 05-06, Camp Fallujah was not the same place... The 2 worst places in Iraq from 04-06 were Fallujah, Ramadi & Baghdad. TQ & Al Asad where SKAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    I hear you brother I was told to push north and so we did. We stopped whenever they wanted to fight. Life was a blurr in 2003

Convoy from Baghdad

This photo was taken in May 2004. We had to pick up and drive these vehicles from Baghdad.. Look at the armor. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jrod02 View Post

This photo was taken in May 2004. We had to pick up and drive these vehicles from Baghdad.. Look at the armor. LOL
    Nice armor. Great seat covers, too!

Quote Originally Posted by CrockettJW View Post
    Nice armor. Great seat covers, too!
    I know right.. That was crazy man, that drive thru Baghdad was intense. All I can say is thanks to whomever was our security that day, because I saw what IEDs where doing to HUMVEES and 7 Tons at that time. So just imagine what a .155 round packed with C4 would've done to that lil piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jrod02 View Post
    I know right.. That was crazy man, that drive thru Baghdad was intense. All I can say is thanks to whomever was our security that day, because I saw what IEDs where doing to HUMVEES and 7 Tons at that time. So just imagine what a .155 round packed with C4 would've done to that lil piece of crap.
    Yep, a 155 would really mess up your day. I liked the MRAPs, though. Those things were nice compared to the Rhinos and pretty much anything else.

i was always given the schittest detail during police call they always put me in the head detail i served there a lot

I was in OIF 1 with 1st TSB at LSA Viper. Anybody else????

Thread Information