Thinking about enlisting, need a little advice, talking to parents is difficult.
Create Post

Thinking about enlisting, need a little advice, talking to parents is difficult.

So this is my first post. I just want to say how much I respect every Marine on this website, as corny as that sounds. I love reading all the different stories that you all have experienced as well as reading the funny comments that are posted here and there. I always get a good laugh. So my thoughts and prayers go out to you all!

On to my post.

I'm 20 years old, a semester or so away from getting my AA in Criminal Justice. Yes, I want to be a cop . Since I graduated high school in 2006, long before that actually; I've always thought about enlisting in the military. It's been a dream of mine. All of my Grandparents have served in the military along with my Great Grandpa in WWI. I remember going to Indiana for Christmas, going down in my Grandmas basement and looking at all my Grandpa's old medals, uniform and manuals, and would just be in awe.

Anyways back to the point of my post. I want to enlist in the Marines. The difficult part about this for me isn't talking to a recruiter or choosing an MOS but telling my parents. I've talked to my parents about the military before. I brought up the subject of enlisting about a year ago and needless to say it didn't go over too well. My Dad wanted to disown me and constantly told me I would be throwing my life away and my Mom well I more or less got the silent treatment from her.

I'm 20 and able to make my own decisions, I am an adult after all. Not having my parents approval or support really bothers me though. I can't explain the feeling, it just sucks, it hurts. Someone once told me, sometimes that's as good as it gets. And right now I'm starting to believe that more and more. I actually wrote a letter explaining why I want to enlist, why I want to be a Marine more than anything.

I was just wondering if anyone on this site has had a similar experience with their family, and gaining their support and approval. Also what did you do or what do you suggest I do to try and make my parents understand? I'm just in need of some advice and I really have no one to turn to at this point.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ibunkerpeople
    I'm 20 and able to make my own decisions, I am an adult after all.

Man Up, Cowboy!

Credits
    Savings
    You got a way with words Bigal.
    YOU have to make the decision. If your parents needing to know is so important, just tell them you are enlisting ,and thats that. No discussion, no arguments. They will be behind you , or they wont. If you sit around worrying about there approval you will never make your own decision, never course your own life.
    Mine, mom, was dead set against it. When it came down to it she supported me 100%.
    If they disown you or give you a lot of grief, cut off contact until they can be civil parents. Sucks to have to do that, but at times parents need to realize when there kids are grown.
    As bigal so eloquently put it....... Man Up! Take control of YOUR life.

[quote=ibunkerpeople;358989] I'm 20 and able to make my own decisions, I am an adult after all. .

You are 20 and can't talk to your parents??? What will happen when you are under fire and can't talk to your fellow Marines?

I actually wrote a letter explaining why I want to enlist, why I want to be a Marine more than anything.

Adults talk, not write notes to each other.

Listen, I would normally be the first person to try and encourage you to join. You have done nothing but snivel about wanting to be a part of our Brotherhood. Grow up.

You're not the first person to have trouble telling mommy and daddy that you want to be a Marine. A lot of parents are initially unsupportive of their kids joining (it's their protective nature, they don't want to see anything bad happen to you). The fact is, you're 20 years old. You have stated to us what you want to do, so do it. You don't need any advice, you know what you want. We can't tell you want to say to your parents. What I can tell you though is that if you DO make it and become a Marine, your parents WILL be proud of you when they see you graduate in your uniform.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Let me see if I got this right......you're 20 years old, and about to get your AA and you want to be a cop but you want to be a Marine first...Right?

I must assume that they are ok with you being a COP, right? Statistics show that there are more policemen in America wounded or injured every day than there are Marines wounded in both wars! The experience you get in the Corps will help you be a better COP and all aspects.

I suggest that yo tell them that you are gonna be a Marine first and then a COP, simple as that! You don't need their permission, so man up and do what your heart tells you. You will forever regret it if you don't! Time to cut those apron strings pal!

Now stop thinking about it and do it, then tell the parents what your plans are. Like it or not, it is your life!

Dave

I just wanted to thank you all for your replies. It helped. Sometimes you just have to be smacked back into reality. It is time I man up and take control of my life. I'm meeting with a recruiter on Wednesday, and tonight I'm going to sit down with my parents and let them know I'm going to enlist and that I would appreciate their support. Even if they choose not to support me I will love them but I won't let that change my decision.

Thread Information