Extending Ship Date
Create Post

Extending Ship Date

Hello Marines!

This will be a question about extending my ship date since my family and I will be traveling to a different country for a couple of weeks. My ship date is on July 16, but my family plans to go to Cambodia on July 18. A country where I never been to, to meet my father's mother and families before it is too late.

--I asked him the day after MEPS (last year), "Can I get next summer off (Year 2008)," he said "he will see what he can do." The problem is that I have never reminded him to do so.

When asking my recruiter, will he be able to extend my ship date? I will go straight to MCRD when I return, to become a Marine.

Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    Get the summer off?

While in the Marines?

Excuse me, but WTF is your question? Didn't you sign a contract?

Are you asking if you can get the summer off while in the Corps? That's what your question looks like.

If it is -- you're completely out of your damn gourd. This is the military; more so, the Marine Corps! This is NOT a school teaching job and it is NOT college. I'd consider smacking myself, if this is what you meant.

However, if for some reason, what you actually meant, "Can I have next summer off [because I'm going reserves]?" that's slightly different. One weekend a month, two weeks in summer.

If you're going active, though, and seriously asked that, take my advice of slapping yourself very hard, very seriously.

Sorry, I said that I will be traveling to a different country for a couple of weeks. I told my family that I have to go Boot Camp, but they said that family is more important. Since my grandmother is not going to live much longer...

I stated that in the beginning of the sentence. I really didn't ask to take the summer off, just for a couple of weeks.

I meant going to boot camp in a later date. When I return. Not while in the Marines (of course not!)

If it's that important to you that you get to spend that time with your family, then you need to tell your recruiter now. You can get a later ship date. Your contract isn't official until you get on the bus. Just remember that your recruiter has a tough job, so don't be stupid about it. Just let him know what's going on and hopefully you can get a later ship date.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotGirl422 View Post
    If it's that important to you that you get to spend that time with your family, then you need to tell your recruiter now. You can get a later ship date. Your contract isn't official until you get on the bus. Just remember that your recruiter has a tough job, so don't be stupid about it. Just let him know what's going on and hopefully you can get a later ship date.
    Thanks for the help! I will let my recruiter know ASAP, but if he can't do it.. What can I say? I will just have to go to boot camp.

Thread Information