Getting Married - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Married

Quote Originally Posted by mukora View Post
    This Is why the recruiter told you to get married after boot camp. The more dependents you have the more difficult it is to enlist without a dependency waiver. Your new wife will be considered a dependent period. which will make a total of 3 for you.

with more than 2 dependents you can only join the reserves. This is NOT waiverable. If you have 3 dependents you can join reserves but only with a dependency waiver. You may augment to active duty at later point and only if your reserve unit releases you.

I am in a similiar situation. 3 dependents, asvab score of 86, clean criminal record and my waiver has been pending for 6 days now. I checked an hour ago ad its sitting on a colonel's desk for approval. Take it from me, get married AFTER boot camp.
    Does this rule apply to those trying to become officers? I ask because per the USMC Officer website, a newly minted 2nd Lt. will serve a minimum 3 1/2 years of active duty. Please clarify.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    or maybe he is just worried jody might get her nocked up again while your in boot camp

I' m not sure if it applies to officers or not. But I do know the number of dependents changes with higher rank. It is a simple function of looking to see if it is possible to support your dependents on the salary you will earn.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    I' m not sure if it applies to officers or not. But I do know the number of dependents changes with higher rank. It is a simple function of looking to see if it is possible to support your dependents on the salary you will earn.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Angry Getting married before boot camp

I have a question i leave for boot camp soon and me and my fiance wants to get married before i go. If i do that does that affect me leaving? Can i be denied even though im already in the DEP? Because i never saw anything that i signed say im not allowed to get married.

My recruiter said the same thing for me. Im married and got two little ones and he said I could only go reserves but I could always go active after my first year. He said the reason being is because the Marine Corps beleives it would be to hard to support a family on a Pvt or PFC salary on active duty. Which Im not complaining because I had to get a dependent waiver and it was a pain. There was alot of paper work and I had to sit up at MEPS for 3 days waiting on it just to clear. I was told that waivers and especially dependent waivers are hard to come by these days, so Im very happy it went threw.

so you think i should just wait until i come back from boot camp to get married?

Do what you wont to bud, if you really wont to get married get married. You can only make the decesion for yourself. Im not saying dont listen to your recruiter but just try to take in some advice. Do what you feel deep down you really wont to do and trust me it will work out.

I can just throw this out there...
    If you get married, your recruiter has to redo your entire package :P

My recruiter told me if I have a kid and I'm not married before boot camp I get a DEP discharge.. I saw some people in this thread talking about how they went to boot camp with a kid and no marriage, some clarification would be great right now!

Thanks!

Thread Information