Getting Married - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Married

Quote Originally Posted by JT1987 View Post

How are you going in with a kid and without being married? The way I understand it is that all branches of the United States Armed Forces do not accept single parents? I guess you may not be the biological parent?...or you can give up your parental rights, but then you can't be called a parent.

Just curious...help me understand.

Thanks.
    Thanks. I obviously didn't know, and asked for it to be explained.

By the way, I don't mean for any of this to sound like me being an *******. I truly respect you, I just think the post came off the wrong way. I was only agreeing with you, and my post about 'no single parents' was really for me to be informed.

Thank you sir.

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry it's a bit off-topic, but so I don't make a new thread.

Am I allowed to join the US Marines if my parents are divorced?

Hmm, well, I guess I have to step in here for a moment.

You most certainly can enlist, active duty no less, if you are a single parent or have a child but are not married to the mother. Kapeesh?! You don't have to waive any rights or whatever, you will just not see your kid as much depending on where you are stationed.

Your recruiter may or may not have your best interests in mind. If you are in love with the lady, tell your recruiter that you're getting hitched and go for it. But if your relationship is not 100% and don't give me any BS about how you would do anything for each other and all that. Just know that 13 weeks can change a relationship, you will most assuredly change after your time in Boot.

Last thing, as has be said already, go talk to your recruiter and get the straight story about why he/she wants you to wait.

NickItaly:

Yes you can, it makes no difference unless you are under 18, then there might be a signature issue, but if memory serves, whoever has primary custody of you can sign off. (But you may want to clarify that.)

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Staff Sargeant.

How are you going in with a kid and without being married? The way I understand it is that all branches of the United States Armed Forces do not accept single parents? I guess you may not be the biological parent?...or you can give up your parental rights, but then you can't be called a parent.

Just curious...help me understand.

Thanks.[/quote]

I am the biological parent. She just had to sign a paper that said she would take care of the child and that i don't have to pay child support and she knows i could be deployed for long periods of time. We have been together for 7 years now and plan on getting
    married when i get out of boot camp.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can answer your question Nicholas with SSGT OB MSG's permission. I just went through that when I DEPed in, in March. You DO need your Biological fathers signature UNLESS he has not been in your life. In that case your mother would sign an ABANDONMENT STATEMENT stating that your father has never been a part of your life. That's it. Best of luck to you Nick!

Oh hell no....

LOOK HERE, "MARINE FRIEND," THERE IS ONE THING YOU NEED TO KNOW FIRST AND FOREMOST WHILE ON THIS SITE AND I REALLY HOPE YOUR PEA-FRIKKIN-BRAIN ABSORBS IT THROUGH YOUR DENSE, THICK SKULL....HAVE SOME RESPECT WHEN YOU TALK TO MARINES.

YOU ARE NOT A MARINE AND ACCORDING TO YOUR PROFILE YOU'RE NOT EVEN A FRIKKIN POOLIE!! WHAT TRUE BLUE MARINE WOULD CALL YOU HIS FRIEND WHEN YOU COME ON HERE SHOWING BLATANT DISRESPECT FOR HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND WHAT KIND OF FRIENDSHIP ARE SHOWING HIM FOR ACTING LIKE A HORSES AZZ?!?! I'LL TELL YOU RIGHT HERE AND NOW, BOY...YOU WATCH YOUR FRIKKIN MOUTH HERE BOY OR YOU'LL BE BANNED FROM THIS SITE AND WATCHING FROM THE OUTSIDE, LOOKING IN AND WISHING YOU COULD BE A PART OF THIS GREEN MACHINE!!!

YOU ARE ARGUING MARINES, A CORPORAL OF MARINES AT THAT, ABOUT MARINE CORPS ISSUES AND YOU WITHOUT EVEN BEING A MARINE!!! WHAT THE FVCK WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT ANY MARINE CORPS ISSUES?!?! MAYBE YOU OUGHT TO JUST JUST STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW AND THAT CAN'T BE MUCH!!! SLIMY FRIKKIN CIVILIAN....!!! THIS WAS YOUR 1ST AND ONLY WARNING NUMBNUTS!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Maybe your recruiter thinks you should wait because you're just a baby? I mean, based on your profile, you turn 18 in a little more than two months (and apparently you're shipping on your 18th birthday). I know I can't be the only who noticed this.

I dunno, barely 18, potentially freshly minted Marine, new wife and baby, holy crap that's a lot to deal with.

Perhaps your recruiter wants you to just focus on earning the title.

Forgive me if I'm out of line pointing this out but it's been bugging the heck out of me since this thread was first posted.

Yes sir.

Thanks for all the advice Marines and poolees. And yes, I do ship on my 18th birthday. My girlfriends due date is August 9th. I ship on August 18th. My original ship date was July 15th. My recruiter pushed my ship date back so I could see my baby. It just happened to fall on my 18th birthday.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm about to be 30. I got married at 21 and I really wonder about anyone getting married before they turn 21. I know two couples who had kids at that age who got married. Neither couple are still together. And one of my buddies, Greg, went into the Army.

I can't comment on any of the logistical reasons behind your recruiters motivation for you to wait but that's three huge life changes at once and frankly I'm not sure there's very many 18 year olds equipped to deal with all that simultaneously.

Have you gone back and asked him why he suggested you wait to get married? I'm curious to know his reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    I'm about to be 30. I got married at 21 and I really wonder about anyone getting married before they turn 21. I know two couples who had kids at that age who got married. Neither couple are still together. And one of my buddies, Greg, went into the Army.

I can't comment on any of the logistical reasons behind your recruiters motivation for you to wait but that's three huge life changes at once and frankly I'm not sure there's very many 18 year olds equipped to deal with all that simultaneously.

Have you gone back and asked him why he suggested you wait to get married? I'm curious to know his reasoning.
    He said that it could cause problems before I shipped. I have enough on my mind to have any more problems with me becoming a Marine.

This Is why the recruiter told you to get married after boot camp. The more dependents you have the more difficult it is to enlist without a dependency waiver. Your new wife will be considered a dependent period. which will make a total of 3 for you.

with more than 2 dependents you can only join the reserves. This is NOT waiverable. If you have 3 dependents you can join reserves but only with a dependency waiver. You may augment to active duty at later point and only if your reserve unit releases you.

I am in a similiar situation. 3 dependents, asvab score of 86, clean criminal record and my waiver has been pending for 6 days now. I checked an hour ago ad its sitting on a colonel's desk for approval. Take it from me, get married AFTER boot camp.

Thread Information