Serial numbers? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers?

Bob, in my haste to "unload", I didn't mean to question the dedication of either the draftees or volunteers. (I was a volunteer that was going to get drafted! So rather than be a doggy if I got drafted, I chose to be a Marine and volunteered) What I really should have emphasized, was the deplorable waste of lives that were scarred by being discharged from the service without an honorable discharge. I'm sure that you took the same Oath of Allegiance in the 70s that I took in the 60s and that many took in the 40s. And if those words were as valid then as they are now, then I think it is a sad state of affairs that some of the people I knew back in the 50s were destroyed because they simply couldn't "fit in". And I guess that what I mean is that if they couldn't "fit in" back then, then why do the ones nowadays that can't "fit in" get off Scot-free (more or less). And mind you, I don't know anyone personally that is in this category. I just hear about it on the radio (and not that often - it's not like this happens every day!) and I could be all wet. I haven't applied for a job lately, but I know for a fact that back in the 60s when you went to apply for a job you were asked those kind of questions - "What is your draft status", "Were you honorably discharged from the service?" and etc. If you couldn't answer that you were honorably discharged, then "We have no work for you!" Now that I do know happened.

Brother,I took the oath 1/31/66! There is a process to upgrade a bad discharge if it is unjust! I remember a potential employer who told me "that because I was an honorably discharged Vietnam combat vet,he couldn't hire me!" Told me the war was too contreversial,and he didn't think I would fit in! How do you like them apples?I still stand by that oathe,and will 'til the one I made it too,relieves me!!Semper Fi !

I took the oath on Sept.11, 1959, I received an Honorable Discharge on Nov.9,1962. When I applied for a job, I always had my DD214 with me. I could get two jobs in the same day. The best one was the phone Co., I think it was because of my MOS4011. I believe we only had advisers over in Vietnam. I'm a cold war veteran, I think. Semper Fi Sheila Hays LadyM59

First off - Bob, if you were here now I would give you a big hug. And I would say very sincerely "Thank you." The war was very controversial - and guess what - it still is. I grew up believing in the domino theory, and for those who make fun of "our" (my generation) for believing that way, they don't know their history. I was against the war - I won't deny it. I had two brothers who served in it. My older brother pulled two tours over there, but he was an officer in the Army. Flew L-19 spotter planes the first tour and was a helicopter pilot the second tour, but ended up being the Company XO. Never got in a helicopter while he was there. My younger brother was stationed in Japan at the time in the Air Force and flew in and out of Nam almost daily until being assigned to operate a teletype machine in Japan. (what a switch!) I was lucky to have sweated it out during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but being stationed at MCAS Beaufort, we really wanted to go (to Cuba). Looking back, how dumb can a group of guys get??? Anyway, this bullsh_t floating around now that if you don't support the war, your against the guys over there fighting. Once again I say bullsh_t. I am against all war that doesn't have any meaning and if it has meaning, I think we should fight it and not namby-pamby around the question. We should have sent everything we had into Afghanistan and kicked some ass and then got out. The reason I say you can be against the war and not be against the guys fighting it is that you and I had no say (have no say) when it comes to strategies, manpower needs, logistics and etc. We are just told to go and fight and that's that. It is the Bushes and Odiornos and whatever his name is that was just promoted, that call the shots and it appears that they aren't doing a very good job of calling. The same thing went for Viet Nam, Korea, Somalia, Beirut, and on and on. Those generals and Commanders in Chief have lost sight of what it is they took an oath of office for. Sometimes I even wonder if they took an Oath. As for Poor George, I think he's doing a pretty good job,,,,,,for someone with an IQ of 90.

I couldn't agree more, Brother,and I always accept hugs from my "Brothers and Sisters" Semper Fi Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by pnwhite View Post
    First off - Bob, if you were here now I would give you a big hug. And I would say very sincerely "Thank you." The war was very controversial - and guess what - it still is. I grew up believing in the domino theory, and for those who make fun of "our" (my generation) for believing that way, they don't know their history. I was against the war - I won't deny it. I had two brothers who served in it. My older brother pulled two tours over there, but he was an officer in the Army. Flew L-19 spotter planes the first tour and was a helicopter pilot the second tour, but ended up being the Company XO. Never got in a helicopter while he was there. My younger brother was stationed in Japan at the time in the Air Force and flew in and out of Nam almost daily until being assigned to operate a teletype machine in Japan. (what a switch!) I was lucky to have sweated it out during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but being stationed at MCAS Beaufort, we really wanted to go (to Cuba). Looking back, how dumb can a group of guys get??? Anyway, this bullsh_t floating around now that if you don't support the war, your against the guys over there fighting. Once again I say bullsh_t. I am against all war that doesn't have any meaning and if it has meaning, I think we should fight it and not namby-pamby around the question. We should have sent everything we had into Afghanistan and kicked some ass and then got out. The reason I say you can be against the war and not be against the guys fighting it is that you and I had no say (have no say) when it comes to strategies, manpower needs, logistics and etc. We are just told to go and fight and that's that. It is the Bushes and Odiornos and whatever his name is that was just promoted, that call the shots and it appears that they aren't doing a very good job of calling. The same thing went for Viet Nam, Korea, Somalia, Beirut, and on and on. Those generals and Commanders in Chief have lost sight of what it is they took an oath of office for. Sometimes I even wonder if they took an Oath. As for Poor George, I think he's doing a pretty good job,,,,,,for someone with an IQ of 90.

Serial numbers and wars

My family was involved in every war since the Spanish American War, my Grandfather was there. World War 11, my Dad Army, my Uncles were Army and Navy. Vietnam two brothers, the oldest was in the Navy, the youngest in the Air Force. The Iraq scituation, nephews, one in the Army, Air Force, and the best of all one Marine, the Gunny. Now I just cry because my first born grandson will be sent over to Iraq, he joined the Army. He tried to join the Corps, but he was rejected because he had asthma when he was younger. They wouldn't give him a waiver, now he is a tanker. He was twelve and only had one attack. He's at Fort Irwin now, waiting to be deployed. I was the only other Marine in the family. Please pray for all those young men and women, who are over there in Iraq. God Bless. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

my number

my number was (is) 2020956

My number was W711***. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

I joined 02-1977

And we used SS numbers.

I think if you have a less than Honorable on your DD214 you can work for a company that has any goverment contracts.

Serial numbers

They (The Marine Corps) issued us service numbers W711***, I'm glad they did. I wouldn't want to have my SS# used. I don't know why they changed to SS#. The W was because we were Women Marines. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

They used SSN's when I was in - 76-80. In fact, they used to encourage everyone to engrave your SSN on personal property, such as stereos. Back then, ID theft was non-existant.

Credits
    Savings
    Boot...Mine was 14597989Rapid City, South Dakota

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Times They Are A Changing???????????????????????

THE "USMC" HAS SERVICE NUMBERS-NOT SERIAL NUMBERS

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jul 1966 - Nov 2008 Ser# 2144322.

Last but not least. . . . #2380178

Thread Information