Serial numbers? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers?

Serial numbers

Thanks, but no thanks, the only time I wore them was when I was in Boot camp. Yes, cortisone creme takes care of rashes. Where were you when I came down with the measles? Now that's a story all in itself. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Well, my service # was 1957XXX and I was in MCRD SD in February 1961 in Platoon 313. After AIT(?) I came back to San Diego for Aviation Radar Training. As for rank, I spent 2 Years 11 Months and 28 days active duty and finally made E-4, just 2 months before being released from active duty. I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort and when I finally made E-4, my section WO talked to me and showed me that he had put me in for meritorius E-3 and E-4, but my promotions had gone to Marines up at Lejeune. I was really looking forward to E-4 because there was some type of extra pay which would make me "rich" (about $150/month), but they cut it out just before I got my promotion and I actually took a pay cut. So much for incentive! I can't remember now, but I think I ended up making about $120/month as an E-4. This will probably get some responses - as an E-1 in boot camp, we made $78/month. How much do they make today?

Hello All

2510--- Here Nov 5 1968 P.i.

Semper-fi Always

Serial numbers or service numbers?

In reply to how much money we made, as a Pfc. $83.50, as a LCpl I made $99.37, as a Cpl. I made $122.50. We ate alot of taco's, sometimes we had a date and went to dinner. The reason we never got back to the chow hall, because you had to log into your barracks and log out. I thought I was rich, I have no idea what they make money wise now. I was stationed at MCRD San Diego. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Our pay in Boot Camp.

We had to bring $33.00 with us to Boot Camp, and we were paid $78.00 as Pvt. Sheila Hays

Our SN's were six digits and we were paid $50.00 a day once a month (Pvt). Complain and get your TS slip punched by the Chaplin, among other good things.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What is the pay scale now???//

$50.00 a day? What Marine Corps was that?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

$50.00 dollars,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    $50.00 a day? What Marine Corps was that?
    1 day a month,,,,,,,,,,,Get with the program, Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Hays View Post
    In reply to how much money we made, as a Pfc. $83.50, as a LCpl I made $99.37, as a Cpl. I made $122.50. We ate alot of taco's, sometimes we had a date and went to dinner. The reason we never got back to the chow hall, because you had to log into your barracks and log out. I thought I was rich, I have no idea what they make money wise now. I was stationed at MCRD San Diego. Semper Fi Sheila Hays
    I guess I'd better stop grousing about only making $143/mo as a private.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Leave it to a woman,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Hays View Post
    To remember,,,, Wish I could,,,,,,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    2516671 ...boot camp plt no 3030...ITR Lima Co....and cant remember the pay

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    mine was 261####

Montana - Now that you mention it, it was ITR and (believe it or not) I look back on that time as one of the favorite times in my life. I know it was only 30 days, and memories of it are kinda fuzzy, but it was actually fun. When I went into the Corps, I had just about flunked out of college. I was on a deferment, and if you didn't use it (for the whole 3 years), then when you dropped out of college, you could stand by your mailbox and wait for your induction notice. My brother was a career Army officer and I wanted to do him one better, so I joined the Corps. And when I talked to my recruiter, he told me that if I wanted to be a Special Forces soldier (my brother was a Ranger), I had to have an infantry MOS. While in Boot camp, about 2 or 3 weeks before graduation, we had to sign up for any schooling (or special MOS) that we wanted. The DI in charge that day told me that I couldn't get electronics with only a 3 year obligation,,,,BUT, "we promisd you that you could sign up for anything, so go ahead and put electronics as your first chioce. But choose what you really want for your second choice because you'll never get electronics." So (back to Camp Pendleton and ITR) while we were up at Camp San Onofre (?) there was this big U.S.M.C./U.S.N. war games going on. The Navy put a huge group of Marines ashore just north of San Diego and they played mock war games all the way up to Los Angeles, and they came right through our camp. I'll never forget seeing those "grunts" sitting in the back of those 6 X 6's covered from head to foot with a layer of dust. And by the way, I got that electronics schooling afterall. Whew!!!

Thread Information