Serial numbers? - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers?

my warrant fol l/cpl in 1972 both ser.# 2702372 and ssn xxx-xx-xxxx they were in the middle of the change over you might not see a number much higher than that

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfiman View Post
    my warrant fol l/cpl in 1972 both ser.# 2702372 and ssn xxx-xx-xxxx they were in the middle of the change over you might not see a number much higher than that
    My first three were 272xxxx

My serial # was W711***, I joined 1959. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

My serial #'s were W711***, the W is for Woman. I joined in 1959 and they were still using serial numbers when I was discharged. Semper Fi Sheila Hays
    I was discharged in 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
    My # was 136++++ March 1953 MCRDPI SC Plt. 95 Semper Fi
    Misfire, there is no way you could have been a Corporal (E-4). Given your dates of service in our beloved Corps, I can believe Sergeant (E-4).

Some one in this thread said it very nicely - - trucks and rifles have serial numbers, I had a service number!! My service number is 159++++. Dates of service 20 FEB 56 to 19 FEB 60.

Semper Fi,
    Ed

Hey SGT. I Might Have the grade # wrong But I was a CLP. whe I waqs in the Corps and I did enter Boot Camp In March 3 1953. and left the corps in 1956 Any thing else you want. 1 THING THAT I WONT DO IS SAY SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT DO WHILE IN THE CORPS SEMPER FI

service number 185**** issued in 57 do not remember any 170*** those just ahead of me 160****.

227xxxx. Enlisted in April 1966, Chicago

W711*** service # or whatever, I still have one of my dogtags. It's all metal, it made me break out in a rash when ever I wore them. I had to put cream on my chest. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Cerial Number ???

My cerial No. was 109**((m. Do I get a prize??? S/F Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fmoyer View Post
    service number 185**** issued in 57 do not remember any 170*** those just ahead of me 160****.
    Here's what I found in an earlier post I made:
    Quote Originally Posted by EGA1957 View Post
    While Googling about SSNs and USMC service number usage, it seems the USMC service number BEGAN at 20001.
    Quote Originally Posted by EGA1957 View Post

Along with that tidbit, the earliest for SSN-in-place-of-service-number authorization appears to be some time in '72.

An earlier post I had on here about the use of the 1700000 series got no responses, but the URL I looked at:
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Service_number_(United_States_armed_forces)
    indicates the block may have been "reserved" for WMs (and then possibly never utilized).

I'm not quite sure if "full" SSNs are still used, but when I go to the VA my SSN is redacted to the last 4 digits in sign-ins and correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
    Hey SGT. I Might Have the grade # wrong But I was a CLP. whe I waqs in the Corps and I did enter Boot Camp In March 3 1953. and left the corps in 1956 Any thing else you want. 1 THING THAT I WONT DO IS SAY SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT DO WHILE IN THE CORPS SEMPER FI
    Misfire, I'm not giving you a bad time. You're like me - - a misfit in todays world of Marines. I was given my avitar by a kind soul in here or I would have been like you. Sometimes it's tough to get folks to understand that you and I held the rank and all of its responsibilities - - we just didn't get the benefit of their pay grade/pay raise.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksgted View Post
    Misfire, I'm not giving you a bad time. You're like me - - a misfit in todays world of Marines. I was given my avitar by a kind soul in here or I would have been like you. Sometimes it's tough to get folks to understand that you and I held the rank and all of its responsibilities - - we just didn't get the benefit of their pay grade/pay raise.
    Been there, done that.

My number was 2185xxx joined Oct 65-Oct69,and your right back then you could almost tell by your serial number how long you have been in.I guess nobody has heard If it ain't broke don't fix it.SS#'s bad idea.
    Ignacio.

Credits
    Savings
    Hey IGNACIO CASTIL, Mine was 2177*** went in Oct 65 from Kentucky. Where did you go in from??

Thread Information