Serial numbers? - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers?

My serial number was W711***, there I put it down for the fourth time. W is for woman. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Semper Fi Sheila. What was the time frame of your hitch in the Corps?

Serial numbers

I joined the Marine Corps on Sept.11 1959, graduated from Bootcamp on Oct.23rd 1959. I was Honorably discharged on Nov. 1962. I was stationed at MCRD San Diego, my MOS was 4011 Data Processing. If you need any other information, I'll get my DD214. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

My serial number was 1964xxx ----- bootcamp in July 1961 at MCRD, San Diego.

SEMPER FI,

My serial # was W711*** The W was for women. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

I went in 1978 they use the SSN. I don't think that was a good idea. And that was not because I was from Tennessee lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    2546439,,,,,,,,,,,Today was Elvis B-day,,,,,,, I can forget that. My service number,,,, I cannot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ya but don't you all remember a few years back the guy from the VA that lost his Laptop with a whole lot of people records on it. There were WW2, Korea, Nam all era Veterans on this and the guy from the VA lost it. So Serial, Service or SSN does not matter.

Semper Fi

was social security number when i was active 1975-79

they used to use it for id on orders name rank and ssn

While Googling about SSNs and USMC service number usage, it seems the USMC service number BEGAN at 20001.

Along with that tidbit, the earliest for SSN-in-place-of-service-number authorization appears to be some time in '72.

An earlier post I had on here about the use of the 1700000 series got no responses, but the URL I looked at:
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Service_numbe...s_armed_forces)
    indicates the block may have been "reserved" for WMs (and then possibly never utilized).

I'm not quite sure if "full" SSNs are still used, but when I go to the VA my SSN is redacted to the last 4 digits in sign-ins and correspondence.

My # was 136++++ March 1953 MCRDPI SC Plt. 95 Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHMH View Post
    Ya but don't you all remember a few years back the guy from the VA that lost his Laptop with a whole lot of people records on it. There were WW2, Korea, Nam all era Veterans on this and the guy from the VA lost it. So Serial, Service or SSN does not matter.

Semper Fi
    In 1981 mine was the SSN, was always printed on my Orders. And Yes, I remember that fiasco about the lost VA info. I got a letter from the VA, so did my dad saying that the info was not compromised. Then I heard that theres some kind of pending Class Action Suit against the VA for info that was stolen, i.e identity theft.

Well, mine was 1386xxx. Not that it would do anybody any good, I don't think. We was swore in, in Dallas, TX. A good feeling while riding the train to San Diego. But, all HELL broke loose for a few weeks after we got there...............However, it made a better person out of me. Money couldn't buy my experiences.
    Semper Fi
    Platoon 93
    Feb.1953

P.S. Rifle number anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    I have been out of the Corp for a few years now but I heard something that I never heard of and it is hard to believe. Someone told me that the Marine Corp went from using serial numbers to using SS#s, Is this true, if it is, who is the moron responsible for that.
    You say you were in the Corps but you don't know how to spell Corps? I doubt it. But like the other Marine said, we went from serial # to SSNs in the 70s as I recall. Semper Fi -

Thread Information