Serial numbers? - Page 20
Create Post
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Serial numbers?

Melvin, I graduated from MCRD, San Diego in September 1961 (Platoon 244) and my serial number is/was 1964391. AND you are right, it does stick like glue. Also agree that NO MATTER HOW OLD we get (will be 74 this year) we will all remember that we are still Marines. Semper fi Brother.

I went in Aug. 1961 and was in Platoon 162

Perhaps I'm paranoid but be careful of where you display your complete serial number. Enterprising hackers can use it to access your personal information, i.e., full name, serial ##, when/where you entered military, training, and so on. Best to release first three digits like last four of SS## to protect yourself. And if you disclose your SS# as was once required, double jeopardy. Be safe.

Semper fi,

Yeah, definitely not a good idea to post your entire service number ... Mine was 242****. My "original" dog tags from boot camp had the "tooth notch", too.

True story, I lost my first set of dog tags in a ***** house in Bangkok (they called it a "massage parlor") while on R&R.. My second set didn't have the notch, and came with my ssn, instead of my serial number. I lost that set, too.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, you could tell pretty much when a Marine had joined by the first couple of numbers in their serial number. And it was part of the fun to be able to profess your saltiness as your serial number became lower in the stack, so to speak. Mine was 198xxxx. Really, did they change to the ssn because those Northen boys couldn't remember their serial number and their date of birth and their ssn all at the same time??? Naw not true!!!

Looks like there were 3 of us that were real close on the times we were at MCRD as per the post on here including TECK. I remember it was so hot in Aug or Sept that DI had us doing pushups on the blacktop and it blistered our hands, I can't remember his name but he had a sadistic side to him. We had a huge recruit that lost his temper and knocked the DI on his rear. The next day the recruit was not in formation and found out he was in hospital, rumor was the DI and his fellow DI's got together and had a little fun with this recruit. Nothing ever came of this that I know of, no charges filed etc. No harm no foul, just getting even. Couldn't get away with that in this day and age.

Semper Fi TECK, we were right there together, I am thinking I was in Platoon 157 but age can play tricks and I would assume you are right there with me as far as age goes, I turn 72 next month.

Did you get the 4 month extension? It went into effect on my discharge date.
    20 Aug 1965

Sure did Teck! I was chief legal clerk/court-reporter for 1ST MAW at Iwakuni when I found out about it. I worked with a bunch of lawyers and one of them wrote up a brief for me to submit to Hq Marine Corps protesting the extension since I volunteered to do a 3 month extension to be able to transfer to Japan. It fell on deaf ears of course because they said my volunteer extension did not count.

1963 Gen Krulak came to see Operation Shuy-Fly at DaNang an that evening walked into the room we used to watch movies and asked "DO YOU NEED ANYTHING?" One of our LCpl's answered, "WE DON'T HAVE ANY POPCORN GENERAL!" That night his C-130 took off with on or his aides and flew to MCAF Futima. The night we had the MCAF Futima base theatre's popcorn machine with all their supplies for it up and operating. He was not a Manager. Instead he was a LEADER!

I joined USMCR in Aug 59 in Springfield, ILL and was assigned service number 1810XXX. Went to PI Aug 1960 and everyone in my platoon had a 19XXXXX service number. In 1962 at Camp LeJeune ran across a Cuban Marine with a 2XXXXXX big time service number when we were just beginning to see the 20's. I challenged him only to discover Cuban's enlisted in the USMC under some special contract were assigned this series in case of Revolution in Cuba hey could quickly be identified and released to fight against him. Had a hell of time verifying it was true as it was classified at the time. Then we all took a boat trip down but didn't get to visit after the Russian's pulled their rockets/nuclear stuff back home.

One of the last service numbers!

I enlisted in August 1971 and started boot camp on September 28 1971. My service number was 277XXXX. I went through ITR in January 1972. When I got to my first real duty station after ITR I was issued a new ID with my SS# on it. When it comes to service numbers I will forever be a (Boot)! LOL , SWIFFTTY

Thread Information