Serial numbers?
Create Post
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers?

Serial numbers?

I have been out of the Corp for a few years now but I heard something that I never heard of and it is hard to believe. Someone told me that the Marine Corp went from using serial numbers to using SS#s, Is this true, if it is, who is the moron responsible for that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar
    I have been out of the Corp for a few years now but I heard something that I never heard of and it is hard to believe. Someone told me that the Marine Corp went from using serial numbers to using SS#s, Is this true, if it is, who is the moron responsible for that.
    I rekon they've been doing that since the mid 70s Sgt! I think it was DODs idea!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    right...jan '02 went to ssn...everyonw still remember thier service #?

Doesn't that lead to ID theft? My ssn is not available to anyone. I hope! Had one brush with stealing my Credit Card No. lucky I caught it early on the
    1st use. I try to be very careful with my SSN....too much at stake with that
    number. The DOD must have had their collective heads up their own Azzs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vmfn513
    Doesn't that lead to ID theft? My ssn is not available to anyone. I hope! Had one brush with stealing my Credit Card No. lucky I caught it early on the
    1st use. I try to be very careful with my SSN....too much at stake with that
    number. The DOD must have had their collective heads up their own Azzs.
    I heard rumors that DoD is re-thinking issuing serial numbers again just because of the ID theft problem.

And I still remember mine, but not telling.

Gentlemen in 1971 while stationed at eltoro after returning from Nam they changed our service numbers to our SS because we all had to get new ID cards. I mean everyone got new ID cards

As I recall, if your name was on some type of roster that had the potential to be seen by a large number of fellow Marines they only used the last 4 of your social. Orders always had your full social though, another reason not to lose them!

The latest I've heard on this issue is that DOD will be taking the SSN off ID cards and replacing it with a service number. Their ssn will still be used to record and/or track a Marine's service.

If anybody thinks that there SSN# is safe they had better think again. With all of the computers in the world and all the hacking going on everyday your SSN# is always out there in the cyber world.

I have just been informed the reason for what was done because some of you southern boys could not remember the serial numbers so they changed it to our SS the worst i guess was the boys from Tenn...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrscowboy View Post
    I have just been informed the reason for what was done because some of you southern boys could not remember the serial numbers so they changed it to our SS the worst i guess was the boys from Tenn...
    Actually the DOD finally realized that those GOAT ROPERS in Kansas have trouble walking across the road and chewing buble gum at the same time, so they made it easier for them to remember the SSN.

FNG, thinks he knows it all......

My service # started with 14 and I retired in 1973. We used to be almost able to figurfe when a guy enlisted by his service #, but California boys always got a bigger number because more of them enlisted back then.

Fifty four years ago my ser# was 1485912.

Mine was 1583xxx Feb 1956

Mine was 1597xxx, 20 FEB 56, MCRDSD, Plt.138

Thread Information