I need some advice...
Create Post

I need some advice...

In three years I enlist, or in five years I go to OCS. What's got me is this; I know I want to make the Marine Corps my career. There is nothing else I want to do in life than be a Marine. I've heard that if you want to make it your career, you'd be better off being an officer. The only thing that's got me is the physical fitness level (ran a 3 mile today, and it was 31:54...how do the 18 and 19'ers do it?!), and going through four MORE years of school. Of course, it'd be more pleasing to my family if I went to college, but if I know I want to be in the Marine Corps, why go through four more years of school? Of course, to be an officer. The main thing is that I'm not a great runner. That three mile that I did today, I had to just speed walk on the last half mile, and now I'm burning. I know I want to be a leader, and that'd be easier to get to by being an Officer, but 'every Marine is a leader', and once you're to Corporal, you're an NCO. Any advice? Can you make a good career out of enlisting? Any help is appreciated, Marines, and I don't expect you to solve my problem, I'd just like some advice from some people who have been there. Thanks.

101matt1-

You're asking questions from both sides of the fence. Enlisted vs Officer. Each side will tell you the benefits/ disadvantage of both. No one individual can answer this for you. I know you want to be a Marine. What do you want to do in the Marine Corps? Does the college you plan to attend have an NROTC program? Have you talked to a recruiter? Since you do not have any college credits, yet, I would not talk to an Officer Selection Officer at this time.

The answer to your low running times....run some more. Do a search on this site on running and you will find two things.

1. a large list of threads on good running programs to get your time dwn.

2. you will make Marine84 very happy and off you ass for not doing a search!!!

We are on here to help with your questions. Never be afraid to ask.

The ultimate Marine Corps career is different for every individual. Pay, privileges and career longevity is better for the officers. However, the enlisted get the down and dirty, hands-on, kick in the door assignments and duties. I always admired the salty Sgts Majors and Master Gunnys who basically ran the place.

You're still a bit young and the first enlistment is always an eye-opener to the our lifestyle. That is when you'll really determine if the career is right for you.

As for running. Do a search in Poolee Hall. There's enough resources to keep you reading for hours.

MyCorps,

I'll search around for the running time information. Thanks for the suggestion.

What do I want to do in the Marine Corps? Infantry. Everyone says it, I know, then half don't get around to being in Infantry, but that's what I want to do. Hopefully, leading Infantry. That's the advantage for me in being an Officer, I know I'll be leading. If I enlist, I might lead, once I move up through the ranks. (btw, awesome job, Sir on being one of the few to get promoted to Captain) Yes, the college I plan to attend does have an NROTC program. Haven't talked to a recruiter yet. I guess what I need to do is just work on my run time, and just work for it, if Officer is what I really want. It's just the idea of having to focus on college, while knowing I want to be an Officer is going to be tough. I'll practically be majoring in something I won't ever use, if I plan on making the Marine Corps my career.

It's just, why go through five more years of school and training? I guess if I'm going to be in for the long run, then it'd be the better option, but it seems so pointless now. I'm just too anxious, probably.

rvillac2,

Thanks for the advice.

Alright, I don't normally recommend any books. Pick up a copy of "One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick. This is the best book written on the subject of becoming a Marine Corps Officer. Captain Fick becomes an infantry officer, then moves to recon and ends up leading the initial attack in Afghanistan.

From my experience in the Corps, nothing is as important as how well you can run pt. You could be building nuclear subs from scratch in your back yard, but if you can't run your buns off, well, then you'll be labeled a sh!tbird no matter what else you do. I always thought that this was the most assinine part of the Corps.

MyCorps, I've heard a lot about that book, and I'll be sure to try to pick it up. Thanks for the help, Sir.

MotherGoose, guess that means no matter what I'm going to have to run, so I might as well go for Officer. Thanks for the heads up.

Do not discount the usefulness of a college degree in or out of the military. A bachelor's degree is the summation of a rich variety of classes and experiences that will greatly help you in life and career. No matter the major, you will be confronted with obstacles and problems that you will need to confront and overcome. Successfully resolving these problems trains your mind in several different ways. This mental training leads can lead to success in every path of life you decide to take. If you take your studies seriously, this will not be a wasted 4-5 years. It may also be the funnest time you'll have in your young life.

Also find a copy of Rifleman Dodd by C. S. Forester. Always a motivator!

S/F
    Finger

Marine Free Member Shotgunner12Ga's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    101Matt1,

Marine Free Member Shotgunner12Ga's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    101Matt1,
    The running issue seems to have been covered. As for your Enlisted/Commission dilemma, Do a search on Marine Enlisted Commisioning Education Program (MECEP). Ask Marines about it. This could also be a possibility for you. Many Officers in the Corps started out as Privates, then utilized this program.

Thread Information