How I joined the Corps - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    When I went to the local Armed Forces recruiting station, the Marine Corps recruiter was out but the Air Force recruiter happened to see me and asked me if there was anything he could help me with.

He was a pretty cool guy and made the Air Force sound really fun. I seriously considered it for the next three to four days, but then I asked myself, "Did I want to join the military to take it easy or do I want to be the best I can be (NOT THE ARMY)?"

Despite all the cool things that the Air Force recruiter talked about, for once in my life, I chose something that I needed instead of wanted (though I feel as though I need and WANT to be a Marine). I never went back into the Air Force recruiter's office again. I'm sure he sees me walk by when I go into the Marine Corps office every now and then Lol. He was nice enough to leave a note for the Marine Corps recruiter to call me back though.

@Buffs: I'll be praying for you, my man! Don't give up on God; believe me, He doesn't give up on you (in fact, to me, Jesus Christ is the epitome of Semper Fi!).
    @Jungholee: Thanks! My recruiter keeps saying that that determination is something the Marines look for, anyway!
    Oh, and is "Ears open, Eyeballs click" any good? I have only seen clips of it and my dad ordered it online the other day.

I've never considered any other branch. My dad is a former marine and he would have killed me...not to mention I want to be the best...and I wanna be super bad ass.

I just walked into the recruiting office, asked which one recruited for my school, and gave him all my info right there on the spot. Few days later I was at MEPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzack View Post
    I've never considered any other branch. My dad is a former marine and he would have killed me...not to mention I want to be the best...and I wanna be super bad ass.

I just walked into the recruiting office, asked which one recruited for my school, and gave him all my info right there on the spot. Few days later I was at MEPS.
    Those are the recruits that the recruiters really like (ones who simply approach THEM). Makes it easy on the recruiter since 99% of the time he's trying to hunt down people to enlist.

Yah I was a walk-in. Just showed up and started asking questions, I was their only customer so all five or six of them were talking to me at a time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade View Post
    Yah I was a walk-in. Just showed up and started asking questions, I was their only customer so all five or six of them were talking to me at a time lol.
    Customer? Lol, anyway, I always wondered how that was like (having five or six recruiters talk to you at the same time). How WAS it like? Were you more confused than anything?

Well at least I got my questions answered in a straight-up matter...I could tell they were having fun with me, and thought I wasn't serious about the whole thing like 95% of people they interview, so they were very very blunt.

I asked about bonuses and all of them just laughed and the Gunny pointed across the street and said "the Army office is right there".

I wasn't confused or anything, all of them gave their opinion on each of my questions...why they joined, why I should join, what kind of job is the best, etc.

They also showed me "EOEC" 30 mins in the meeting and warned me that it was a "horror movie". LOL, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade View Post
    Well at least I got my questions answered in a straight-up matter...I could tell they were having fun with me, and thought I wasn't serious about the whole thing like 95% of people they interview, so they were very very blunt.

I asked about bonuses and all of them just laughed and the Gunny pointed across the street and said "the Army office is right there".

I wasn't confused or anything, all of them gave their opinion on each of my questions...why they joined, why I should join, what kind of job is the best, etc.

They also showed me "EOEC" 30 mins in the meeting and warned me that it was a "horror movie". LOL, good times.
    So when you were interested in joining, were they surprised (since, like you said, most people aren't too serious about joining up)?

I think when I actually took the ASVAB and got a good score and started coming on Mondays to PT before I was even a poolee is when they thought: "oh wow, this guy is really going all the way, AND he was a walk-in! Sweet!"

Check this out, The SNCOIC of my recruiting office was a Gunny, who was from the area but an active duty recruiter...He got promoted to Master Sgt. when I was at Boot...(this was in '92) The he got promoted to Master Gunny and retired in 2000....I haven't seen him since being on leave from MOS school summer of '93.....Last Monday (Memorial Day) I was at the local Marine Corps League for their open house (my neighbor invited me) I was in the chow line...I look to my right, and there is the Master Gunny, When I told him my name and went I left for bootcamp he remembered...I basically thanked him for making the impression on me ( an 18 year old at the time) to make the best decision of my life....As I had a beer with him I said, I had a great 4 years, and you didnt' put in no ****bird! It was a great feeling to see him....

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Never considered on joining the Army! NEVER!
    My goal is to enlist in the Marine Corps. And become a U.S. Marine.
    That's the goal of my life.

my 2 Cents

Ha. I was originally going to join the Air Force. I was almost going to sign papers too when I got a call from my Marine recruiter. He said he noticed I wrote down on my ASVAB test at school that I was interested in the military. Then he asked me why I hadn't called him. It was sort of like he knew the Air Force wasn't for me. LOL. I was skeptical at first that the Marines didn't have anything interesting for me until we looked over jobs. Intel sounded pretty fun though. That and the MECEPS program sounded pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    Check this out, The SNCOIC of my recruiting office was a Gunny, who was from the area but an active duty recruiter...He got promoted to Master Sgt. when I was at Boot...(this was in '92) The he got promoted to Master Gunny and retired in 2000....I haven't seen him since being on leave from MOS school summer of '93.....Last Monday (Memorial Day) I was at the local Marine Corps League for their open house (my neighbor invited me) I was in the chow line...I look to my right, and there is the Master Gunny, When I told him my name and went I left for bootcamp he remembered...I basically thanked him for making the impression on me ( an 18 year old at the time) to make the best decision of my life....As I had a beer with him I said, I had a great 4 years, and you didnt' put in no ****bird! It was a great feeling to see him....
    That was a cool story! There is a Marine I am currently looking for, but I can't find him. He taught NJROTC at my high school when I was in it back in 9th grade (2004-2005). Stupid me, I can't even remember his name. We all called him "Gunny", and that was it.

Thread Information