How I joined the Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How I joined the Corps

I know I'm pretty new here, but I thought I would go ahead and share my story about how I came to be enlisted in the Marines.

The whole story actually goes back to Feburary of 2006 when I was in 10th grade. That's when I first started thinking about military service after I finished high school since I only had two years left. The Marine Corps was the first branch I looked into. But, there was a major problem: I was 200 lbs. at 16 years old (and I was only 5'6 tall, btw). I knew I was totall inadequate for the Marines. So, I looked at the Army and Navy because, in all honesty and no disrespect, they have lower physical standards. Well, I pretty much gave up on the Marines at that point. However, I wanted to change my physical stature, so I prayed to God to help me, and one sunny day that Feburary I went outside for a 40 minute brisk walk. I got back home and eliminated sweet tea and sodas from my diet, and started drinking nothing but water. I went out and walked and such every single day from that time forth. After a month, I had already lost almost ten pounds. I was pretty excited, so I kept going with the same routine (though I admit at certain times I slacked off a bit). So, come summer of 2007, last year, I was at 139 pounds (thank God!). During this whole time, even though my physical fitness level had increased dramatically, I still had my heart set on the Army. I came VERY close to enlisting in the Army and going to basic during the summer break, but I told the Army recruiter that I wanted to enjoy my summer and such. Looking back, I thank God I made that decision. Later that summer, which would be this past August right before I started this school year, I was at home alone and headed out for a walk. I go outside and a man is standing there in uniform, and it turned out to be Staff Sergeant Cox, the Easley Marine recruiter. We set up a meeting for the next day so I could learn more about the Marine Corps and what it had to offer. I told him at the recruiting office about how the Marine Corps was my first choice, but how I knew I WAS inadequate, and I was going to go Army because of the lower standards. He then posed the one question that really struck me: "Do you want to live the rest of your life knowing that you settled for less?". After talking with him a while, I realized how special the Marine Corps was even though it didn't offer hardly any of the benefits the other branches offer (for example, the Army recruiter tried to hook me with the 40,000 dollar enlistment bonus you get or what not). I realize now that it was the "pride of belonging" that really attracted me (being part of something incredibly special). Honestly (and this is what I told my recruiter), I have never been on any sports team the whole time I have been in school or anything, and I have never exactly "belonged" to anything, and the closeness of Marines and that special unity really attracted me. Plus, college honestly, at this point in time, does not interest me; I am not incredibly interested in "chasing after the dollar" or something. I wanted to do something meaningful that would benefit others and be pleasing to God.
    It took about a week for me to decide to join the Marine Corps. Really, it all went back to what my recruiter asked: "Do you want to live the rest of your life knowing that you settled for less?". I prayed about it the whole week, and I praise God for the chance He has given me to join the Marines. I also praise Him that Staff Sergeant Cox came to my house, and gave me this opportunity. I honestly believe this is what the Lord wants me to do. I prayed about it that entire week, and looking back to Feburary of 2006, I can see that God has had His hand in preparing me for this time.
    I know boot camp is going to be tough, but with God's help I know I can make it through; I am so thankful to Him for the opportunity to be a small part of the Corps. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sounds and looks too close to my story about enlisting in the Corps.

Met with Army recruiters several times, agreed to meet, took the ASVAB, nearly set out for MEPS. Then for some reason (I honestly don't remember why I did it), I noticed the Marine Corps Career Center right across the street (believe it or not) and just decided "what the hell" and just walked in.

Fifteen minutes later I knew these are the sort of men I want to be around and trust my life with! They showed me "Ears, Open, Eyeballs, Click" and debunked a few BS promises the Army gave me, which was a very unpleasant experience on it's own.

Six weeks later, the Army called again (woo, they remembered me!) and asked I was ever going to DEP; so I surprised them with news. The Sergeant there told me "well if it makes any difference to you, we pay people $1000 every month they are in the DEP"...

So, you think I made the right choice this time?

@DonutBrigade: Sounds like we BOTH made the right decision!
    Like I said, my whole reason for wanting to go Army was originally I was so out of shape, and the Army's physical standards are a lot less demanding than the Marines.
    It's kind of funny: when I first met the Army recruiter (Staff Sergeant Gillens, who is a really good guy, btw), he thought I wanted a job with computers just because I wear glasses and I'm a little bit short; simply put, I can't stand computers half the time, so that was kind of funny.
    But anyway, it wasn't just an instantaneous thing for me to decide to join the Marine Corps. Like I said, it took me a week of thinking and praying about it before I decided I wanted to be a Marine. Again, it really came back to what Staff Sergeant Cox asked me ("do you want to settle for less?").

I have never considered joining the Army!

@bonnjanry: And that's probably a good thing, lol. J/K! The truth is, each service has something for each person. The Marine Corps just really appeals to certain people...being all of us here.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnjanry
    I have never considered joining the Army!
    Same for me. The Marine Corps is the only branch of the military I have even considered joining!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Haynes
    I realize now that it was the "pride of belonging" that really attracted me (being part of something incredibly special). Honestly (and this is what I told my recruiter), I have never been on any sports team the whole time I have been in school or anything, and I have never exactly "belonged" to anything, and the closeness of Marines and that special unity really attracted me. Plus, college honestly, at this point in time, does not interest me; I am not incredibly interested in "chasing after the dollar" or something.
    Same reason for me, though I've always done team sports. I'm an only child with no cousins or anyone near my age, so there was never really anyone I could play with. Sports helped, but the Marines offer the siblings I never had. Best benefit ever. 40K doesn't really match up, eh?

edit: I admit to considering the Army for about a day. It ended quickly.

@YMPfcDeremer: Just asking, but what is it about the other branches that turn you away?

@Parks: In my opinion, that 40K the Army gives you is nothing compared to what the Corps can DO to you (as far as changing you as a person). The Corps is much more special in so many ways.

Exactly. I spent a fair amount of time with the Air Force recruiter (long story) and he was forever going on about how great and easy it was, how he always back talked his superiors, and how it wasn't even like being in the military. Every word just seemed to make the Corps's values seem that much more important to me for joining.

And the Army...well, I don't want to disrespect them, but I can't say they had a lot of respect for themselves or their branch.

@Parks: If you don't mind, would you post your story about the Air Force recruiter (like I did)? I'd like to hear it!
    And yeah, I hear that a lot about the Air Force (it's ease and such). People here at school always sprout out how the Air Force is the best of the forces, and when I inquire as to why, it always goes back to how easy it is (as far as training). 95% of the people at my school, even the football players, are too scared to join the Marine Corps because of how tough boot camp is. Lol, I always try to tell those guys that if I can do it, you can do it (though I haven't been to boot camp yet; I just mean taking the courage to enlist).

IMHO it was better in the end for me to explore other branches than the Marine Corps before finally making the big choice. It really gave me an image of the Corps being the best and second to none. After all, all great things are only relative.

@DonutBrigade: Really, the only branch I didn't check out was the Air Force (they didn't have anything that interested me too much). And from what I hear about the Air Force...I'm not missing too much.
    What interested me about the Navy were submarines. I thought about becoming a submariner if I went to the Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade
    IMHO it was better in the end for me to explore other branches than the Marine Corps before finally making the big choice. It really gave me an image of the Corps being the best and second to none. After all, all great things are only relative.
    Quoted for truth. Even knowing which branch I wanted, listening to the Army and the AF really made it that much clearer. (Granted, I didn't even bother with the Navy. Who wears white uniforms?!?)

Haynes: I'd post it, but it was really more of me being sneaky and not wanting to deal with my parents than anything interesting. I told them I was joining the military and the only branch the viewed as 'safe' was the AF so I went to the Af recruiter and told him I was interesting in joining. All the while I was filling out paperwork for the Corps and sneaking over there while my parents were out (lucky for me they travel quite a bit). When it was time to go to MEPS, I told my parents I was joining the AF. Went to the Marine office after school that day and the next, came home with my recruiter and the title of Poolee.

Thankfully, the AF recruiter didn't really have anything else to do besides play golf so he wasn't really upset with me about it. He was kinda shocked when he called a couple days later asking when I wanted to MEPS though...

The AF recruiter played golf with you? My recruiter told me tales of adventures, women, and snappy looking uniforms, it was plenty enough for me.

Thread Information