Moment of Truth - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moment of Truth

if it's gonna make you feel better, tell him...my understanding was as long as you don't fail the **** test, it's all good.

i told my recruiter first time i met him, he didn't seem to care too much...just asked how often and when was the last time.

i was a BIG pothead (daily or so, for 4 years) and tapered off and then finally quit. actually, i have tried to quit before, didn't make it more than 6 weeks...when i decided i wanted to join the Corps, i stopped smoking, then i came here, and that was all i needed haha. i don't remember which Marine on here said it, but he said, "No room for dopers in my beloved Corps." that was when i decided for good to give it up. the term 'doper' just has such a bad sound to it. plus, if i could not quit weed to actually DO something with my life, i think i'd feel like a big piece of ****. all i told my recruiter was that i used to smoke weed, quit a few months ago, and have no plans for future use....which is all true. i did USED to smoke, i did quit a few months ago, and i do have no plans for future use...so approach it how you will. and if it makes you feel better, at least it's not coke, or meth, etc...i know drugs are drugs, but there are in fact varying degrees and at least you stuck with the easy one. and only a dozen times...that is another thing to be proud of. tell him if you want, but in my opinion you have nothing to feel bad about.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    Remember there are only two rule on this site;
    1) the Marines are always right
    2) if the Marines are wrong...see rule 1

get it?

Dave
    Yes, Corporal.

My apologies. Noted and drilled into this poolee's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Discord
    During MEPS I did not truthfully answer the question on prior drug use (Cannabis about a dozen times when I was 16/17)
    If I may ~ now that the Marines have spoken. I've counseled alot of young men going into MEPS (Navy) about this. No need to go into how wrong it was - you already know this son. Come clean. Get your waiver and get on with your Marine Corps Career with a clean slate. In the future do what YOU know is the RIGHT thing to do.

So, good luck to you and have a great Career in the Marines! One of the hallmarks of being a Marine is your HONOR .... remember that.

OldSwabbie

Treat the Marine Corps the way you want to be treated. Always show integrity and be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCorps
    Treat the Marine Corps the way you want to be treated. Always show integrity and be honest.
    I couldnt have put it better Sir. This is a big problem these days. I bet we have at least 1 or more a week with the same issue or with something medical that they "neglected" to mention. Some of our guys work so hard to qualify for the SEAL PFT that they will do just about anything ~ not realizing that there are waivers for quite a bit of it.

OldSwabbie

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The obvious solution is to tell them ASAP, get the waiver and go on with it. If you are being honest with us here and now, then you will have no problems, but if you pop on that p test, then you lied to them and us, plus the Corps wont take you!

You Prospective Poolees need to realize that being honest is the best policy for enlistment. Most problems can be waived, but you do not want to get caught in a lie by the Corps, and you will get caught!

It is YOUR responsibility to be honest, It's your recruiters job to help qualify you for enlistment, But it is MEPS responsibility to disqualify you for what ever reason they find. The ones that BS their way thru MEPS will get caught up with at Boot Camp, most of the time! Even the ones that squeeze thru Boot Camp, will always have that hanging over their head during thier career, I can jump up and bite you in the azz at anytime, say for that well earned promotion.

The fact about a lie is that you have to remember what you said for years, but the truth is what it is anytime you are asked! There are a lot of people that fall thru the cracks, is that right....NO it is not. If you fail to disclose anything and later in your career you are passed over, you won't ask why! You don't want to know, and you hope they don't know as well.

The people, at MEPS, that will turn you down are MDs, PHDs, and Jag officers, they know what they are doing and can see thru BS without x-ray vision! It's thier job and they do it well.

In my experience, Poolees, once they have gone thru MEPS become experts in enlistment procedures. But let me give you some sound advise, if it ain't in writing, it don't exist! Just hearing someone say it, or someone that read it, or whatever does not make it so. If it is a regulation or policy it is in writing. Ask to see that proof, if your recruiter tells you something that don't sound right to you. It's better to light a candle than it is to curse the darkness.

Going thru MEPS is an experience in itself, but it's different for everyone, and by no means makes you an expert when some unknowing poolee/wannabee asks questions about it! Leave that to the poeple that know the answers. You don't have to post a reply to a question just because it's on poolee hall forum! You'll be surprise at what you can learn if you just sit back and read the replies from experienced Marines and Corpsmen! We do Have Recruiters and Corpmen here ya know?

My advise......tell them ASAP and get this cleared up ASAP!

Dave

Nevermind. Do whatever you feel is right.

Thread Information