was going to put this in open squad bay....
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

was going to put this in open squad bay....

but i want to hear what poolees think as well.

here's something I want to see what others think.

Are Marines born or made?

personally I think Marines are born to be Marines. You have to have it in you before you even stand on those foot prints, if you don't you'll just be another of the hundreds sent home throughout recruit training and SOI.

That's a question that truly hinges on one's grasp of metaphysical existence. You could get into a huge chicken and the egg debate over this.

I personally degree with the notion of someone being born into a title, such as Marine. Seems to have the essence of noblesse d'epee all over it. As Petrach said, "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."

Some people may have a natural affinity towards being a Marine in terms of physical fitness or moral character. Conversely, there is always talk about how the physical superstars eventually give up because of a weakness in their spirit. Spending 10 months in DEP, I've seen a fairshare of Privates and PFCs come back who when first shipping out, strayed from what one might consider an ideal Marine.

I believe what makes Marines is that willingness to surmount the fatalistic idea of having to be "destined" for the title, no matter how difficult that 3 month journey is.

Same goes for Marine Officers. Althogh OCS is much more selective in nature and is said to focus on looking for "leadership potential," it seems like a trait that is developed rather than inherent in one's self. The peope who DOR or get kicked out because of leadership failures are the ones who elect to be a victim of fatalism and destiny. I'd argue the only factor you may not have control over is if you NPQ due to injury.

Since everything in the Marines Corps is earned, the idea that one is "born into" the title seems odd to me.

First time the recruiters called me, I told told them I wasn't interested and asked them not to call again.

Here I am, nearly 8 months later, with 3 weeks to ship.

If you've got the motivation and physical ability, I don't see it as anything supernatural to make it through Marine boot. I suppose I have to find that out myself, though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Whitey honey...........it wasn't written in the stars anywhere that any of us would be Marines when we grew up and we surely weren't made until we hit MCRD. You are correct that you have to have it in you that you're ready to make the change once you get there or you won't make it.

Here......... have another beer and forget about it.

I wasnt born wanting to become a Marine but some of the things that I have overcome in my life I believe led me to wanting to become a Marine. I dont think anyone is born a Marine but just because someone can do boot camp physically, doesnt mean that they would be willing to sign four years of their life to the Corps during war time. Not many people are willing to risk their lives for America so I do believe it is a special thing to do.

I was born into a famly of Marines, but I can't say that it was my destiny or my being born into a Marine family that is making go to the Corps. If you've heard of Darwin's natural selection you could say that we (we as in poolees, Marines Past/Present) are selected by variables of moral ethics, honor, behavior, and maybe some other varibales but those are just my thoughts.

-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by DBrown
    If you've heard of Darwin's natural selection you could say that we (we as in poolees, Marines Past/Present) are selected by variables of moral ethics, honor, behavior, and maybe some other varibales but those are just my thoughts.

-Brown
    and by that natural selection thats where i derive my point that we are different from birth. Being brought into this world with something many people will never have to earn the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    and by that natural selection thats where i derive my point that we are different from birth. Being brought into this world with something many people will never have to earn the title.
    Yes, I suppose we are different from birth, but then again there are those few who can raise to the occasion without being catergorized in the "Natural Selection" group. All-in-all though I do agree with you in saying that we are born "differently" then everybody else.

-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by DBrown
    Yes, I suppose we are different from birth, but then again there are those few who can raise to the occasion without being catergorized in the "Natural Selection" group. All-in-all though I do agree with you in saying that we are born "differently" then everybody else.

-Brown
    I'd suggest refrain from saying 'we' until you've made it. So far you're just another nasty civilian, hop in line to be a maggot recruit. Have a good Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade
    I'd suggest refrain from saying 'we' until you've made it. So far you're just another nasty civilian, hop in line to be a maggot recruit. Have a good Memorial Day.
    If you've read my previous post you would see what I mean by we. Thank you for your input though.

hey now no flaming here.

My mistake DBrown, didn't mean to come off as a flame.

I understand what you meant now.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade
    My mistake DBrown, didn't mean to come off as a flame.

I understand what you meant now.
    No problem Donut Brigade, I apologize too if my response came off as a flame. Back on topic nobody else has any input on this?

-Brown

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe. Looking back there were many indicators on joining the Marine Corps. The desire to seek challenges and excell was always there before I even talked to a Recruiter. Once I did it seemed like a natural course of action.

I was born to be a Marine. I didn't always know it (I used to be against women in the military lol). But I did always know that I had something inside me that was telling me to do something great. I always have loved America and loved the military, and then I realized one day that it was what I was meant to do. After I realized that I was going to be a Marine, I knew I was where I was supposed to be.

Thread Information