Local athlete stands by decision to join Marines

By Bruce Whetten
The Daily Dispatch

Earlier this year local running phenom Kenny Cormier stunned the community of Douglas when he announced he was giving up a full ride athletic scholarship to the University of Arkansas to enlist in the United States Marines.

Now, after a grueling 13 weeks of basic training in San Diego, CA. Private First Class Cormier stands by his decision of fulfilling what he called a childhood dream.

“Receiving the eagle, globe and anchor (the marine emblem) about three weeks ago was one of the happiest moments of my life,” said Cormier, who was home on leave this past week before reporting back on Tuesday for additional training at a school for infantry. “Everything that I’ve accomplished these past 13 weeks is something I’d never give up.”

Cormier said as each day passes and he comes to the realization he is a full fledged Marine he feels his decision to join was the right one.

The local phenom had won numerous state championships in high school, won the Footlocker National Championship, was the Gatorade Athlete of the Year for the state of Arizona, had an appearance in Sports Illustrated and had received a full-ride athletic scholarship to the University of Arkansas where he was a team captain and an All-American honoree his freshman year.

“Receiving the eagle, globe and anchor is an experience that I really can’t describe,” he said. “We had just got done with a 56 hour training event; we walked on to a parade deck after a 10-mile hike … your dirty; haven’t taken a shower in three days. … When you receive the eagle, globe and anchor tears swell in your eyes. Everybody had it, I had it. … It was one of the proudest achievements in my life.”

Ellie