Anyone else the first in their family? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I will be the first one to be a marine (If I make it).
    Paternal Grandfather was navy, paternal Great-Grandfather was navy, Lieutenant General I believe, and my aternal Uncle was Navy, served on the subs.

My grandpa was in the Navy, dad in the Navy, and great grandpa in the Navy. Other grandpa in the Army, Step dad was in the Army, brother in Army boot camp right now, other brother awaiting to go to Army boot camp. Guess I am just the only one that decided to join the real Military. Just joking, ALL military is respectful and I respect all of what They have done and going to do. Oh and my Dad is now in blackwater over in Iraq. So a very supportive family.

Just me too man. I will be the first, if I make it.

I'll be the first, as far as I know. My paternal grandfather was in the Navy in WW2 in the Pacific. Maternal grandpa was also in the Pacific, but Air Force. A relative of my dad's was an Army journalist who landed on Omaha Beach with a typewriter strapped to his back, but no Marines that I know of in my family.

Still got some stuff (getting a hold of medical records) that needs to be sorted out before I can go to boot, but if I'm meant to be a Marine, I'll get there.

I'm the first in any service in my family
    well correction.. My uncle joined the Airforce and was "promised" the job of Electrical Engineer and as soon as he got in they said he was going to have to be a cook for a year or so till the job opened up and but he found a way out right after that

Two of my uncles were in the Army (my uncle Chris was a Ranger; really funny story of how he got into that, if you guys wanna hear it!). My grandfather, while not in any official branch, was a Merchant Marine during World War 2. As far as the Marine Corps goes, though, I'll be the very first one. My older brother, Troy, joined the Navy back in December (and yes, I tried to get him to enlist in the Marines, and he seriously considered it, but he decided the Navy was the best for him).
    I'll be proud, by God's grace, to be the first United States Marine in this family.

My father is a former marine. He's extremely harsh though. I think it's just because he knows how it is in recruit training. I appreciate it.

The rest of my family is supportive-ish..I keep getting the "Why did you join?" question with all the other stupid why questions. Especially "Why...how could you do this to your family, Heather!? WHHYYYY?!?!?!" followed with crying.
    Anyway. I'm basically my own support system. Go me! =]

Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs10
    Just me too man. I will be the first, if I make it.
    With an attitude like that, you won't.
    Be positive. If your giving up on yourself now then I'd hate you see you during recruit training.

Long family history in the military. My great great Grandfather and Great great uncle served in WWII, my great uncle served in Korea but none of them ever talk about it. Actually the prefer to avoid the topic of war.

Grandfather was a Marine who served at Guadacanal, otherwise none at all. I have two very anti-war liberal parents so the situation at home is just lovely when we talk about my enlistment.

Credits
    Savings
    Ive had lots of relatives who served in the military, only my dad served in the Corps. He was an 0351 and im going in as an 18xx.

I recently learned that my great grandfather was in the United States Army. He's originally from England, and his two other brothers served in the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, respectively. They both died in battle in what I would assume were for colonial skirmishes.

My great grandfather wanted to join the British armed services as well, but his father forbid him to do so because of how his brothers died. So he ran away from England and went to New York City and enlisted into the United States Army.

This was during the time of the Spanish-American War and Spain had just lost, and in the Treaty of Paris, Spain relinquished the Philippines to the Americans in order to pay for the war. My great grandfather was sent to the Philippines to help claim it, and that is how he met my great grandmother.

The rest was history! This gives me a lot of serious moto. I thought I was the first in my family history to enlist into the military, but now that I know that I'm carrying on a family tradition, it makes me want to work harder.

Also, my maternal grandfather was a civilian doctor at Clark Air Base in the Philippines during the Vietnam War. He was head of the communicable diseases department, and treated G.I.s with V.D. before they can return to America. If any Vietnam era Marines had to go through this, you can thank my grandfather!

Gramps was in the Navy during Vietnam, then switched to the Army Reserves. Dad was in the Air Force during the first Gulf War, now he's in the Army Reserves. I will be the first in my family to join the Corps.

All My Family Were Army Officers,great Grand Father Was Retired Lt Col.paratrooper Ww2 During Normandy...korean War...he Worked For The State Dept. During Viet Nam...my Uncle Is Retired Major Infantry Army...there Was Only One Way To Out Do Them...become A Marine!!!....i See Alot Of Poolees Making Statements That They Are The First In There Families To Be Marine......you Haven't Even Come Close Yet!!! Get Through Your Training First!!!then These Statements Will Be True!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzack View Post
    With an attitude like that, you won't.
    Be positive. If your giving up on yourself now then I'd hate you see you during recruit training.
    Poolees chewing up their own,,,,,,, Kinda like Dr. Phil,,,,, " I cut off the wrong foot".

Thread Information