Advice from an Ironman
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice from an Ironman

I'm back from boot and ready/willing to answer any questions people have about what boot camp is like, what to expect, how to best prepare yourself, and anything else you might want to know. I will not give away boot camp secrets and such, you will have to find out about that trash when you get there.

Boot camp for me was fun. I was in very good shape going into it. I was in PLT. 2163/Hotel, the all Sergeant Platoon. I was a squad leader, head scribe, platoon/company Ironman/High PFTer at 299 (the Chevron says PFC Cormier at a 300, but he'll be the first to tell you that he only scored a 285), expert on the range, honor platoon (we also had Company Honorman), and recieved a meritorious promotion to PFC.

Boot camp is what you make it. If you want to just get by or slip through the cracks, you'll get away with that trash. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll punch you in the face. You can probably miss more than half of the training days and still graduate. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll drop kick you. If you work your a$$ off day in and day out you'll be reaping the benefits in the end. You'll know that you are a Marine and not a civilian in a Marine's uniform.

So ask away about anything, even what it's like to be a squad leader or what it takes to be a guide. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

God bless,
    PFC Cory

First off congrats, second what is it like to be squad leader and how do you get selected for it?

Yea congrats! What do you mean, you can just not PT!???Wow! Im not an outstanding Pter but I will work my ass off and do what im told. I just dont understand how you can get away with not doing anything.

Thank you. Sqaud leader, truthfully, sucks! You will be quarterdecked for everbody elses mistakes. You are responsible for getting things done and done right. Attention to details is the biggest thing for a squad leader. You hold a lot of responsibilty and will have absolutely no free time or time to sqaure away your trash. You have 8 hours of sleep every night and a sqaud leader gets used to doing their own trash during that time. You are the example to follow, so you must conduct yourself properly all day everyday, no matter how sick or tired you are. Don't expect to have any friends besides your fellow squad leaders. You are expected to be the drill instructors when they are not around. It's a tough position and I was also the scribe, so I was pretty much stressed out all the time, but stressed out at how stupid recruits can be. It's tough, but worth it in the end. I'm glad I did it.

You become a squad leader by volunteering for it. Its that simply, being able to hold that billet is up to you.

If you want to know anything else about being a squad leader, just send me a message and I'll answer it.

The people who miss the training days are the ones who spend all their time at sick bay. And yes, you will have those pieces of crap in your platoon. Don't be like them, EVER!!!

You don't need to be a great PTer. As long as you give it your all, you earn my respect. Respect is everything, like everything else in boot camp, you have to earn it.

Wow...thats is rediculous...how could they hand them the EGA if they spend that much time in the sick bay. Oh, dont worry, I wont be like them.

They just do, some will get dropped to MRP, but there are those who slip through the cracks. It's sad but true.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaCo
    I'm back from boot and ready/willing to answer any questions people have about what boot camp is like, what to expect, how to best prepare yourself, and anything else you might want to know. I will not give away boot camp secrets and such, you will have to find out about that trash when you get there.

Boot camp for me was fun. I was in very good shape going into it. I was in PLT. 2163/Hotel, the all Sergeant Platoon. I was a squad leader, head scribe, platoon/company Ironman/High PFTer at 299 (the Chevron says PFC Cormier at a 300, but he'll be the first to tell you that he only scored a 285), expert on the range, honor platoon (we also had Company Honorman), and recieved a meritorious promotion to PFC.

Boot camp is what you make it. If you want to just get by or slip through the cracks, you'll get away with that trash. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll punch you in the face. You can probably miss more than half of the training days and still graduate. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll drop kick you. If you work your a$$ off day in and day out you'll be reaping the benefits in the end. You'll know that you are a Marine and not a civilian in a Marine's uniform.

So ask away about anything, even what it's like to be a squad leader or what it takes to be a guide. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

God bless,
    PFC Cory
    Welcome home Marine, now follow this link and get squared away, you ain't a poolee any more!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62292

Dave

Just to point out, there are those that use sick bay as a way to try to skate through. There are also those that are actually hurt. If you have a problem, and I mean a real problem, don't try to be the tough guy and get through it. I did that with cellulitis in my foot. At one point the doc thought they were going to have to amputate the stupid thing because it was still spreading despite a serious course of antibiotics. I ended up spending 30 minutes a day getting an IV of some really strong stuff to kill the infection. (Luckily that was during team week I guess.)

So, do what you need to do- don't be stupid just to be tough.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Congratulations, Semper Fi Marine

Very true, if your are actually hurt or sick where you really need to go to sick bay, go and get back to full duty as soon as possible. Just don't be the one going there to get out of PT. Also, don't be the one to come back with the piece of paper saying "N/V/P"(no visible problem). You will get slayed for that. And there ain't no party like a slay party because a slay party don't STOP!!!

That's awesome. I don't remember a N/V/P chit- either we were just fortunate that we didn't have anyone trying to skate that badly or it is new. Knowing my platoon, it must be new!

And since I forgot to mention it, congrats PFC, and welcome to the family brother.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaCo
    I was a squad leader, head scribe, platoon/company Ironman/High PFTer at 299 (the Chevron says PFC Cormier at a 300, but he'll be the first to tell you that he only scored a 285), expert on the range, honor platoon (we also had Company Honorman), and recieved a meritorious promotion to PFC.
    Kinda curious what you missed the last PFT point for--probably something dumb like making 18:01. How is the scoring on the rifle done? Did you have any shooting experience before boot? Do they go over "squeeze don't pull"--I've never understood that but I've never used a gun before so. Also, how well were you doing before you went to boot camp as far as pull ups, sit ups, run time go? Thanks and congratulations.

PFC Cory on Graduation Day

Congratulations on all the accomplishments! Quite impressive. Here is a question which it seems like you guys have touched on briefly but I am curious: How far do you push through an illness or an injury until you know the sick bay is your only option? That is not a place I would imagine many recruits would want to be (though as you said there are always going to be those that just try to skate through). What constitutes a real sickness or injury worth of a visit? Because I think I would be too motivated/intimidated to actually admit to a sickness or injury.

During your time there do you get a better understanding of what your body can truly take and how it will react to certain injuries? I'm also very curious as to how quickly your body and sleep patterns adapt to the new environment and what is demanded of you.

Hey but congratulations again and welcome back.

-matthew

Congrats ZaCo!! OOORAH!!!

now get your avatar squared away.

Thread Information