OCC dates
Create Post

Thread: OCC dates

OCC dates

Recent college grad here interested in a career as an officer in USMC. My question is how often are OCC courses run? I heard it was only during the summer, if so I need to speak to a recruiter ASAP and get my paperwork started. Thank you for your help.

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by cbman03
    Recent college grad here interested in a career as an officer in USMC. My question is how often are OCC courses run? I heard it was only during the summer, if so I need to speak to a recruiter ASAP and get my paperwork started. Thank you for your help.

Brandon
    OCC is offered three times a year: In the summer, fall, and winter. Fall usually picks up around late September, Winter in January, and Summer in May or June. In a lot of ways, the Fall session is the best: the Quantico weather is pretty good that time of year (it will be hot when you first arrive, then cool down to a very pleasant level after a couple of weeks, though the end gets pretty chilly). The winter is ridiculously cold, and the summer is ridiculously hot, and the summer also tends to be very crowded with PLC and NROTC also on deck.

My guess is that, at this point, it would be a pretty tight squeeze to put in a package for the summer class.

Thank you for your help sir. I will most likely spend the summer training hard for the fall OCC class. I've heard the class is about as rigorous and intense as it gets in the military and I want to be ready.

Regards,

Brandon

Thank you for your help sir. I will most likely spend the summer training hard for the fall OCC class. I've heard the class is about as rigorous and intense as it gets in the military and I want to be ready.

Regards,

Brandon
    You are welcome.

As for the rigor and intensity.... It is and it isn't. It's nowhere as mentally demanding as enlisted boot camp, but far more physically challenging (most OCS drops are due to overuse injuries, stress fractures, and things like that), and somewhat more intellectually challenging (you take a lot of tests, and there's not a lot of time to study). OCS drop rates are hovering around 36 - 40% right now: more than double that of traditionally seen in boot camp.

That said, it's not BRC or BUD/S or sniper school or anything like that, but those all presume you are already in the service. I would definitely say that Marine Corps OCS is the toughest entry *test* in the US armed forces.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

I have really been pushing myself hard during workouts. This summer I plan on pushing even further to be ready for the course, I dont want to drop because of some stupid injury. With all that said, I have one very important question. I experimented a little bit with marijuana in high school, its been almost 5 years since that time. Is this a DQ for the program?

I have really been pushing myself hard during workouts. This summer I plan on pushing even further to be ready for the course, I dont want to drop because of some stupid injury. With all that said, I have one very important question. I experimented a little bit with marijuana in high school, its been almost 5 years since that time. Is this a DQ for the program?
    Cbman03- Although it is unfortunate that you experimented with drugs, 5 years is enough time for it to clear your system. Do you have any convictions/ arrests in relation to this? Have you ever failed a drug screening? If the answer is no to these then I do not see it being an issue. Have you mentioned this to your recruiter?

Never failed a screening, never been arrested period. I meet with my recruiter next week, I will bring it up to him during the meeting. Thank you for your help.

Just to clarify, you do not need a recruiter, you need an Officer Selection Officer.

rvillac2 is correct. There are two seperate processes here. If you want to enlist, then see a recruiter. If you are wanting to become an Officer of Marines, then see an Officer Selection Officer (OSO). They will evaluate you and give you a OCS date. (Officer Candidate School). Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Thank you all for your help. I talked to my selection officer Thursday morning and was told the next OCS date is slated roughly for the second week in October. I have my medical exam and PFT next week. I'm fired up for this, can't wait for a shot at being among the best warriors on earth.

Thread Information