Questions about College Funding/DE?
Create Post

Questions about College Funding/DE?

I am not entitled to post on any of the Marine forums, so please forgive me if this thread is out of line.

I still want to join a service branch, and I still want to go to college. Pretty much, I have it down to the Army or the USMC, two Military institutions for which I have high amounts of respect.

The kicker is that the Army Reserves/National Guard has a College First program, so that I can continue two years of college uninterrupted by deployment, and I will be going to art school so the first two years are fundamental foundation years to build a large body of work. I would rather not wait and let art school tuition pile higher and higher in the passing years.. the increases are staggering.

My question is, if I may ask, does the USMC/USMC Reserves have any sort of similar delayed enlistment program for recievers of tuition assistance/MCCF?

Is tuition assistance/GI Bill only for Active Duty?

As some of you may have read, I have great interests in the "combat crayola" MOS, and art school training is something I feel would better my artistic skills, as well as help me put together a portfolio to get in to the MOS, if it were even available. Even if it weren't, it's highly important to me.

Now, I know I am probably ruffling feathers here asking about tuition assistance programs... I know being a Marine is first and foremost about being a Marine, and an artist second, and that you really have to love the Corps. However, I feel that the USMC trains its personnel better and tougher than the US Army does now. I'm not saying BCT is a cakewalk in a field of flowers and pixies, but I'd rather go that extra physical mile for combat readiness.

So I do apologize for asking, I did a few searches before posting this but I thought I'd get it off my chest a little. Regardless of which military branch I can join, I'd like to say that this site is still exceptionally motivating in my quest.

Thanks,
    Brittany

A Follow Up:

In the interim I have been researching and it appears that the only USMC college assistance benefits are for Active Duty personnel. If anyone has information to the contrary, please let me know.

Otherwise, I could always transfer from the Army to the Marine Corps after I complete my schooling should I decide to stay in the Service. I know well that I would have to go through boot camp all the asme. If personal computers are allowed, I could freelance using any available downtime I had even deployed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can already tell YOU won't make it in the Corps babe - GO ARMY!

Brittany it sounds like you may have one too many caveats above for the Corps' patience level. If you are half committed to becoming a Marine and half committed to schooling... it's not enough for the Corps and you will not be happy under the demands of the Corps especially during a time of war.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSzynal
    Brittany it sounds like you may have one too many caveats above for the Corps' patience level. If you are half committed to becoming a Marine and half committed to schooling... it's not enough for the Corps and you will not be happy under the demands of the Corps especially during a time of war.
    I definitely see what you mean. There's really no such thing as a part time Marine.

@Marine84: Did I portray a message that I wouldn't be fully dedicated to the Corps becuase of my wishes to go to school? If so I am terribly sorry and meant absolutely no offense to you Marines or the Corps. I do believe I could make it in the Corps, but perhaps it's best done after art school.

I remember reading that one must submit a portfolio to be a 4611.

(2) Submit a portfolio to CG MCCDC (C465VIM). The portfolio consists of 20 pieces of original artwork created within the last 2 years. The portfolio should clearly demonstrate the MOS 4611 candidate's artistic skills with emphasis on his or her ability to draw proportions in naturalistic artwork (e.g. faces, equipment, landscapes, etc.)

Hence, why I felt art school at this time might help me be the best I could be for the Corps, should the MOS be available.

If I joined ANY service branch, I would want to be able to dedicate myself to it fully. Hence why I mentioned the option for transfer to the Marine Corps after college. I will then have a BFA.

Also damn you Marine84 for motivating me. Not sure if that was your intent, but now I feel like doing more military presses

- Brittany

I am not sure how an Art Degree is going to help you in the Marine Corps. Listen, the Marines do not have a problem finding well intentioned personel to apply and attend OCS. ( I assume OCS is the track you are wanting to take). Remember this, The Marine Corps does not offer contracts like the lesser branches do...only commitments. Make sure there is NO DOUBT about what you want to do or you will not earn the title- Marine.

Thread Information