Overseas
Create Post

Thread: Overseas

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Overseas

Hello Im a Soldier in the Canadian Armed Forces and i was just curious how long it takes for infantry soldiers in the American military to go overseas from basic. Theres always speculation over it between people here in Canada and i would like to know just to clear things up.

Im considering going to the USMC after my contract but i have the whole Canadian issue and ive read a lot of topics about younger kids wanting to go after high school and stuff and they might need to get a green card but would my situation be different because of pre military experience in the infantry?

Thanks

Pte. Hardie

Can't speak for the other services, but when i was in, the average time that it took for a new fleet Marine to be deployed overseas was 8 months to 12 months. The Corps will place newer Marines into Units that are close to deployment, in order to fill empty slots. So, depending on the situation and the needs of the Corps.
    Like I said, it was different when I was in, but that was about average for me and my new Marines assisgned to me.

I hit the fleet not too long ago.

If your asking about being on a MEU. It depends, 8 months to 2 years depending on what battalion you will be in.

For deploying to OIF or OEF. Usually 8 - 12 months.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the answers, thats generally the same length of time as over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthor
    Im considering going to the USMC after my contract but i have the whole Canadian issue and ive read a lot of topics about younger kids wanting to go after high school and stuff and they might need to get a green card but would my situation be different because of pre military experience in the infantry?

Thanks

Pte. Hardie
    You would be treated as a regular canadian citizen, you still need a green card, and secondly just cause your in the canadian army, you would still have to go to bootcamp and earn the title. So whatever you decide to do I wish you luck.

8-12 months?

My unit is deploying in less than half that!

And I know guys who, on our last deployment, had only gotten here 3 weeks before.

Thread Information