M1911a1
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1911a1

M1911a1

Anyone know what the A1 stands for, and what is an M1911A1?
    Seems our younger Marines are not familiar with this device.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyhiles
    Anyone know what the A1 stands for, and what is an M1911A1?
    Seems our younger Marines are not familiar with this device.
    Our Poolies NEED to know this weapon, Gunny! I hope this information is sufficient!! The M1911A1 is the model number for the .45 cal. pistol that is still in service for almost 100 years!! As an Armorer and a match-grade Armorer, I've worked on and rebuilt and tailor-made these pistols for requalifications as well as individual competitive shooting. The pistol was originally built by Colt in the year 1911. Here are the specifics:

The .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol M1911A1 is a recoil-operated hand weapon. It is a magazine-fed semiautomatic weapon, which fires one round each time the trigger is squeezed, once the hammer is cocked by prior action of the slide or thumb. This design is referred to as "single action only." The thumb safety may only be activated once the pistol is cocked. The hammer remains in the fully cocked position once the safety is activated. (Note: More modern pistol designs of the "double action" type will allow the hammer to move forward to an uncocked position when the thumb safety is activated.) Any questions?

M1911A1 .45 Caliber Pistol

Primary function Semiautomatic pistol
    Caliber.45 (11.4 mm)
    bullet wt 230 gr, charge 5 gr

Muzzle velocity830 fps (253 meters)
    Muzzle Energy356 (ft-lbs)
    Magazine capacity7 rounds
    WeightMagazine empty: 2.5 pounds (1.14 kg)
    Magazine loaded: 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)
    Length Overall8.625 inches (21.91 centimeters)
    Length of Barrel5.03 inches (12.78 centimeters)
    Max Effective range82.02

Guess you said it all, and correctly! Still have my guidebook from bootcamp.

Wish I got to use the .45, that damn 9mm pee-shooter i carried around for 4 years wasn't worth anything, mid as well throw the damn thing instead of shoot it. It was effective against Iraqis though, they hated it and would practically **** themselves if you drew it out. But than again they would do that for any pistol. The Corps needs to go back to .45 now!

Quote Originally Posted by egbutler1
    Wish I got to use the .45, that damn 9mm pee-shooter i carried around for 4 years wasn't worth anything, mid as well throw the damn thing instead of shoot it. It was effective against Iraqis though, they hated it and would practically **** themselves if you drew it out. But than again they would do that for any pistol. The Corps needs to go back to .45 now!
    Yeah...when they made that .45 cal. pistol, they were hard pressed to find improvments on it for its basic simplicity and functionality. I've seen those pistols fire underwater! They were good, solid and dependable firearms. Thats hard to beat in the firearms world...

Now lets see who here has one. Mine is a Springfield Amery 1911A1. Love it.

Amery

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    Now lets see who here has one. Mine is a Springfield Amery 1911A1. Love it.
    Would love to buy any M1911.

1911a1

I have the Springfield Armory 1911A1(Mil. Spec model)
    I love shooting it . It has a real good feel and balance to it

9er,
    I was a Drill Instructor 65-67, 1st Bn B Co. In the Quanset huts by the little PX. Our platoons most likely crossed paths. I was the good looking one

Gunny,
    I was to busy running around a??hole to bellybutton with the maggots around me to notice . I was in plt 348, 3rd Bn. from july to sept 1965

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you hold the .45 at about waste level and firing on a 50 meter target look about midway to the target while firing you can actually see the round going down range.

Credits
    Savings
    I have a Rock Island Armory 1911.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I went shopping, the 45s were all pretty beat up, so I went for a new Smith and Wesson 1911 stainless. Not authentic, but a fine shooter.

P.S. none of the younguns figured out the A1 yet? I ain't sayin nuthin.

Credits
    Savings
    Am I young enough to list the 6 changes?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You look pretty young to alot of us. Go for it. I think I'll make you a buddy.

Thread Information