Commandant
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commandant

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Commandant

OK...so my dad and I are wondering. How does the Commandant become the Commandant? He was watching something and it sparked his interest. Just wondering, thanks.

Same way as the Pope. By committee. LOL.

Just like any other command, there is a selection process. It would involve the SecNav and SecDef. It is important to remember that the CMC is not an operational commander. He does not actually order line units around anymore. He is in charge of the general welfare, conduct and standards of the Corps. He is a policy maker and enforcer.

He is also a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff which is a board of advisors to the President.

I'm curious as to what sparked the interest?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't really know what sparked his interest. He was watching TV and afterwards wanted to know. I didn't know so I thought I'd ask someone who knew. And obviously this is the best place so... anyways, thanks for the answer.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    I'm curious as to what sparked the interest?
    Maybe he wants to be one when he grows up.....................everybody else wants Infantry, somebody HAS to want to take the Commandant's spot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That would be cool...but what does the Commandant do? I don't really know, and google doesn't really either, it just keeps giving me articles with his name in it, or a list of Cammandants through the ages.

He runs his Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    But how does he do it?

Go To A Recruiter, Sign Up And You Will Learn That

Quote Originally Posted by ElDiablo
    But how does he do it?
    To tell you the truth I never followed him in my time in the Corps but don't tell him but us Sgt's run the Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    But how does he do it?
    Let's put this into a civilian perspective. The Commandant is roughly analogous to the Chief Executive Officer of a big corporation. A big corporation that is a wholly owned subsidiary of an even bigger corporation (Department of Defense).

Which, in it's turn, is a wholly owned subsidiary of a still bigger corporation (the US Government).

Technically, Congress is the Board of Directors of that really, really big holding corporation and the President is the uber-CEO. The President picks the Commandant/CEO of USMC, Inc. and the Senate half has to OK the pick.

If he wants to, the President could pick ANY Marine to be Commandant. Just like any Roman Catholic male could technically be elected Pope. Could happen, but ain't gonna.

Unfortunately it all falls apart there because of the Supreme Court being involved in the mix, plus massive politics. But I won't go there because Jetdawg will get wound up more than normal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks for that. I think I understand now.

Thanks for that. I think I understand now.
    ROFL...you couldn't possibly.

The Commandant sets the administrative policies and sees that they are enforced in the Corps. If he wanted Marines to wear chevrons on their cover again, he could do that. If he wanted every Marine to learn the words to a Kelly Clarkson song, he could do that, too. He is only limited by the bounds of his approved budget. If any of his policies require more money, then he would have to dance for Congress.

What he doesn't do is order Marine units around the globe. Operational units get their marching orders directly from Theater CINCs who get their orders from the President. The Commandant can determine which units will be ready for deployment and the schedule of their rotations.

But as for running the Corps...that's an NCO's job.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks. Now I can tell my dad pretty much how he gets to be Commandant and what he does. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477
    To tell you the truth I never followed him in my time in the Corps but don't tell him but us Sgt's run the Corps.
    ERRRRRRR!!!

OK...so my dad and I are wondering. How does the Commandant become the Commandant? He was watching something and it sparked his interest. Just wondering, thanks.
    I think he has to wrestle the other Generals in a cage match. The victor becomes Commandant.....

Thread Information