Active Duty job switch
Create Post

Active Duty job switch

I updated my information. My shipping date for boot camp was June 9th and now it is June 23. I qualified for every job in the Marines so I chose UAV Pilot. My family had a meeting with a Marine recruiter yesterday and he said my job was not UAV Pilot but in the Aviation Field as Air Support. My mom was talking with a female Marine last night and this Marine said

"You sons job can be changed no matter what he is. Active Duty or Reservist. The recruiters can tell you all they want because they have a quota to meet. If they don't meet that quota they loose their job."

I'm sure that last line can't be true. Recruiters have a job too. My recruiter, Sgt. Talington, told me random people are selected to be a recruiter and if I were to join and drop it wouldn't matter to him because he does not get paid to send people like I off to Parris Island.

So my main question is

Can your job be changed, like it or not, once you go active duty?

My brother is in North Carolina for Field Training. He just called me and said "This isn't for everyone brother I tell you!" and I believe him 100%

Your Mom is misunderstanding what the Marine said or most likely meant. Your job CAN change up until the day you ship out. On that day, you will sign your final contract that will have the job field that you were promised. After you sign that contract and ship out to boot, your MOS field can only be changed under extraordinary conditions. Those conditions include you failing out of the MOS school.

So, as long as you are a poolee, you can change between Active and Reserve and can change MOS fields as much as you want. The only time your choice will count is on ship date.

Thank you for telling me this I didn't know. I did some research and I found out she was under the field of 65XX and I am under 73XX. My mom thought my job was under 65XX so this is a misunderstanding as well.

You are not signed up to be a UAV pilot unless you're a reservist. You sign up to be in the job field. You will get sent to a school in that field. If you fail, then you're free game. What you want isn't important... if your life long dream is to be 99999 they could easily decide to assign you to 99998 and there is nothing you can do about it. (Clearly, just random set of numbers not actual MOSs)

As for the quotas, yes they have them. If they don't meet the quota that can well mean the end of a career. (I know one person now acting as a weather man in the Navy that was an up and comer in the USMC until recruiting duty, then it was over.) Your recruiter does care if you ship or not. If he didn't he wouldn't bother talking to you. He isn't doing you a favor, he is doing his job. However, his job is not to screw you over.

Thread Information