introduction, Question re:transfer first or ?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

introduction, Question re:transfer first or ?

Dear Marines and Pool (ee)'s,

I am 20 years old and have decided that i want to earn the title of Marine.
    I have been working out 5-6 days a week and went from:

(3 mile run) 40 minutes ~ 28 Minutes
    (pull ups) 0 ~ 12
    (crunches) 25 ~ 50
    (weight) 245 pounds ~ 210 pounds

I know that i have a long way to go but wanted to say that the Leatherneck forums have been really helpful in finding information and reading experiences of Marines. Its also great for motovation.

I need your wisdom and advice.

I currently have 80% of required credits to transfer from a 2 yr JR college to a 4 YR university/college.

Goal: ENLISTED Active duty in field of 03xx. Called a recruiter and he said I should just go now.

QUESTION: Should I enlist before or after the transfer to a 4yr university?

Sincerely,
    Ben

Why are you wanting to transfer after? If I understand what your saying correctly, you don't plan on graduating from the university. Correct me if i'm wrong.

If your not planning on graduating from the university I don't see the purpose of transfering.

I agree with DGardner. If you are planning to enlist and not finish your university time first, then there is no point in transferring.

The only reason would be if you want to finish your degree first and possibly go into OCS and be an Officer. If you want to go that route then by all means transfer, but finish your degree, don't half-step it. You could also go the reserve route and go to Boot now, then go to school as a reservist, but you stand a good chance of being activated while in school. Your choice.

Also, while your at it keep getting into shape. Officer lead Marines, but you can't lead if your sucking wind on the side of the road and can't keep up. You should be as good or better, than the Marines you lead, at PT.

That being said, your still to slow but improving, the run always sucks. Your Pull-ups seem to be doing alright, but they are money makers so get them to 20! Lastly, you need to get those crunches up, they are cake and you should be at 100!

You have 80% of the credits, which means you have somewhere around 48 hours. I assume you can knock the last 12 or so out in one semester. So, I see no reason not to enter the DEP now and plan on shipping in December or January.

There is no need to transfer to a university and then leave anyway. So, you may as well finish the associates degree and then move on. After your time in the Marine Corps, whether that is 4 years or 30 you can use the GI Bill to finish up.

With the Ed benefits going on now, he could take some classes while in and over the course of an elistment earn a Bachelor's before ever leaving the Corps, and have it paid for. Or he could go into the MCEP or BOOST program.

I went in with 105 credits under my belt. The only reason I didn't finish while I was in was that I would have had to lose 15 credits in order to transfer to another school. So I did my time then went back to school and got my degree.

I wasn't able to get that many classes. I was able to pick up about 18 hours during my four years- and we didn't have the deployment schedule that is going on now. It just depends what your MOS is, what unit you're with, and what is going on around you. Some people can get it done. One person I knew ended up with an MBA (He had a BS when he enlisted) and others weren't able to get more than a couple of classes done.

Credits
    Savings
    First, thanks for the replies!

Dgardner - i don't plan on finishing University until after time in the Marine Corp (if the Marine Corp deems me worthy). I just thought if I didn't transfer then the credits "expire" and i have to start all over again.

OBMSG - working hard to drop weight and improve my fitness.

I do not think I want to be an Officer until some time in the the Marine Corp /Fleet.

Looking back at it i should contact the school I am applying (UC Berkeley) for and my current JR college. The way I thought it out was, after the Marine Corp, it would be easier to transition to school then to a Job, instead of going straight to a job.

Once again, thanks all for the replies.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benw17
    First, thanks for the replies!

Dgardner - i don't plan on finishing University until after time in the Marine Corp (if the Marine Corp deems me worthy). I just thought if I didn't transfer then the credits "expire" and i have to start all over again.

OBMSG - working hard to drop weight and improve my fitness.

I do not think I want to be an Officer until some time in the the Marine Corp /Fleet.

Looking back at it i should contact the school I am applying (UC Berkeley) for and my current JR college. The way I thought it out was, after the Marine Corp, it would be easier to transition to school then to a Job, instead of going straight to a job.

Once again, thanks all for the replies.
    That one line speaks volumes about your education! Haven't you heard the kind folks in Berkley don't like the Marines?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    That one line speaks volumes about your education! Haven't you heard the kind folks in Berkley don't like the Marines?
    Too be honest,

Code Pink and Berkeley made me think alot... At first I questioned why did these hippies and crazy people were preaching peace but hating the Marines/Troops.

Then i read somewhere to the effect of, "you know peace because you know war". Instead of taking sides, I want to know from first hand experience instead of CNN, FOX, and the other liberal media sources.

After my curisousity and reading the forums, espeacilly Accord's Post, this made me question, am I a good citizen? What have I done for my country? Next thing you know I'm working out and running to try to make weight to enlist.

But back on topic, The Citadel and alot of other Military affiliated colleges do not accept transfers. UC Berkeley is close to home. My plan was transfer there and put things on hold to ship off for some years and come back to school and start everything over.

Once again for the answers.

Thread Information