How long do you remain in DEP?
Create Post

How long do you remain in DEP?

Hey everyone. Me again.

I am STILL waiting for the recruiter to get back to me on how long my meds need to be out of my system before I can go any further...he's taking his sweet time. He does not return my calls and when I do get a hold of him he says he needs a few more days...I'm getting kinda fed up.

The Army guys at least have me signed up for the ASVAB. I'm definitely not going Army unless my medication is an automatic DQ, but I don't think it is...the recruiter said he thinks it just needs to be out of my system for like 6 months.

I've been working on PT too...in the last week alone I have dropped 8 pounds, which is nice. Two years at college, I needed to drop some weight. My girlfriend is giving me more attention too

But my question is, once I am sworn in and all of that, and how long will I be in DEP before I go to boot? Since I have decided for sure that this is what I want to do with the next 4+ years of my life, I'm getting a little excited and I want to get going! I can wait, but the sooner the better. I can't wait for my chance. Thanks for all your help so far, you all have been most helpful and I have had a lot of ammo to back myself up when dealing with my parents, who don't want me to go (well...my dad is secretly pretty excited I think. He asks me where I am in the process all the time, and what job I want. Just never when Mom is around).

You can be in the DEP for 365 days after you are sworn in. You do not have to go to boot camp at the end of those 365 days, however. If you haven't gone by then, you are simply out of the DEP.

I think its 410 days now. I've been in a year and 2 days. I ship june 9.

I've also heard it's more now as well, but i'm not sure how much more. I'd say your best bet would to just call your recruiter. Since you said he usually doesn't answer, call another recruiter up at your recruiting station and ask them. That's the best way to get the most accurate information.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Theoretically you could be DEP'd in one day and gone the next.

Well I am a bit confused...it sounds like they choose for you? Or is it you sign up and can go at the first available date of YOUR choosing?

Ideally I would get sworn in and go ASAP...

Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs10
    Well I am a bit confused...it sounds like they choose for you? Or is it you sign up and can go at the first available date of YOUR choosing?

Well, you have to take your ASVAB test...if you're not ready for that, you'll take practice tests...then the recruiter's have to get you ok'd by MEPS and signed in and sworn in and if thats ALL good, meaning no medical investigations or anything, and THEN choose your MOS which will determine your ship date to see if there's any openings in that job and THEN schedule you a ship out date to go to boot camp!! So, really...there's nothing ASAP about being in the DEP!! You get tested and checked and probed and made to sign and hold up your right hand and turn your head and cough and then you wait to ship out...sound fun?! Thats the quick route, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs10

If you do not specify a prefered ship date when you're at MEPS, they will choose one for you, but you can change it at any time. They can't MAKE you go on the date that is set for you, or any date for that matter. Your recruiter will try to tell you that you have to, but you actually dont, no matter what your reason is for not wanting to go. You don't sign the final papers giving your butt to the Marine Corps until you arrive at boot camp.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I take the ASVAB next week. I took a practice test at the Army place and they said I scored 50pts higher than average...I assume they made that up, but oh well! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by imkopaka
    If you do not specify a prefered ship date when you're at MEPS, they will choose one for you, but you can change it at any time. They can't MAKE you go on the date that is set for you, or any date for that matter. Your recruiter will try to tell you that you have to, but you actually dont, no matter what your reason is for not wanting to go. You don't sign the final papers giving your butt to the Marine Corps until you arrive at boot camp.
    Actually you do it at MEPS the day you ship.

Quote Originally Posted by DGardner
    Actually you do it at MEPS the day you ship.
    Oh. Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead.

lol. I'm a perfectionist sometimes. don't worry

Thread Information