My son deployed this am ... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    [quote=Wardey]...my son, Pvt. Robert D. Warden III deployed to Parris Island this morning,
    Dad you need to write, write, and write. And I'd refer to him as “Recruit” not Pvt or Pfc, that is just a suggestion. Give him all the support you can. Have everyone you know write. Always be positive even when he gets down and he will get down!

Make it fun. Send pictures, post cards, jokes, news clippings, & letters from pets. If you the SDI’s email address, use it! Be respectful but don’t be afraid to show your support for the SDI and the entire platoon.

And learn to wait by the mail box. One letter will make your week but one graduation will make your life.

Now go and wait for the call.

My appologies on the Pvt. I was going by the address the MC told me was his:

Pvt. (your full name)
    Plt. (platoon number)
    Company ( your company designation)
    Battalion (battalion*)
    Recruit Training Regiment
    Marine Corps Training Depot
    Parris Island, SC 29905

Also, when he called last night and read from the MC card, it was Pvt. ???

Smile

No apologies needed.....Just wait til you hear him refer to himself as "This Recruit"... They are NOT allowed to say "I", or "We". They can not talk in first person, just third. Their Hats , specially the Heavy, will be on them like Flies to Manure. lol

Sincerely,

VPMM of LCpl Adam
    MAG 39
    HMLA 169
    Camp Pendleton, CA

When you address mail to him be sure you use the title of Recruit
    Recruit Last, First middle initial

Don't want to call any unneeded attention to him, he will do that on his own.

Enjoy the ride, the pride at the end can't be described it can only be experienced.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This has been a change and maybe the manuals haven't caught up. It used to be that private and recruit were interchangeable. We used to use this private in the 3rd as in this private requests permission to make a head call etc.

I believe the change was to give notice that recruits are no rank until they earn the title of Marine. Some never do and it would be a shame for them to walk around saying "I was a private in the Marines for a short time". It is also part of the training and lingo for a drill instructor to say if you make it then you are (insert rank and name here), but that is a big if and until then you are not. Dang it's gotten so PC I'm afraid to report what they really say.

Credits
    Savings

Recruit vs Rank

I have been told by my son that they are referred by their rank after the "Crucible" when they are awarded the Eagle, Globe, & Anchor (MCRD PI)

This may be different at MCRD SD. I have also been told that this was conducted at graduation in the past and PI was the first to change. My son's (Bravo CO 2007) was one of the first Companies to do so.

Thank you. I wrote to him last night and I addressed it to : Recruit Warden, Robert D. III. I still don't have his platoon number but hopefully the letter finds him when he can receive mail. Thank you all. Dave

Credits
    Savings
    I would write the letters but DO NOT mail them until you get your first letter.

He may not get your letter for weeks otherwise .

Credits
    Savings
    Wardy going by his start date your son should graduate on aug 8th what i saw listed was 1st battallion charlie co. somtimes the orignal listing gets changed .i couldnt get on the pi grad date site for some reason so this might not be right.

keith

Hi Wardy! I wrote and wrote the week my son's left, but didn't send any until I had all the information for his Platoon. My son's Recruiters got it for me the first Friday, they called down there in the afternoon and asked for me. I then sent all the letters that day. They get sooooo much mail there, I hope your letter makes to to him quickly. It is hard to stack them up :o( Just a suggestion, I numbered the backs of mine, in the lower corner, in case they didn't get them in order. They still read them when they got them, but at least could understand some stuff by looking back. I also dated mine and put the date on the very top of my letter...my son's never knew what date it was in the beginning. Time passed Boot Camp style and one day just ran in to the other.

I wish your son the very best experience....if you ever need anything, just holler.

I better get it out of the mailbox then !!!! Thanks for the advice. Yes he does grad PI on Aug 8. To be exact it is 85 days 12 hours 34 min !!! Thank you so much everyone for helping me on this. Dave

Thanks Gator !!! The websites you gave me answered ALOT of questions and really helps alot. Man, I wish I was up there with those recruits !!! Dave

Smile

Hey Wardey,
    I am sending you a link that was a lifesaver to me when my son was in Boot in SD.
    It is full of info and the forums are fantastic, Great Folks can help you there.

http://www.marineparents.com

You will be able to hookup with other parents from your son's specific platoon.
    Hope this helps.

Cindy

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardey
    I better get it out of the mailbox then !!!! Thanks for the advice. Yes he does grad PI on Aug 8. To be exact it is 85 days 12 hours 34 min !!! Thank you so much everyone for helping me on this. Dave
    Been there, done that! Just keep the support positive. The DIs will get him through this. If you think you're proud now? You ain't seen nothing yet.

You have done your part and what a great job you have done. Soon you'll reap the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardey
    ...my son, Pvt. Robert D. Warden III deployed to Parris Island this morning, well it started in the morning at 0600 and they did not get on the bus untill after 2:00. My son and I are very close. He is my best friend. This hurt as a father but I was also so proud of what he has become. I will be waiting for the "famous" phone call in the morning hours and can not wait for the couple of weeks where he can start receiving mail. Threre were 17 Marine Recruits leaving from Tampa this afternoon. I only wish I could have been on that bus with them. God Bless these young men and women.

I want to give a special thanks to Gen. "Butch" Neal for all the help and insight he gave to my son and I on his decisions with the Marine Corps.
    Dave Warden Jr.
    (Papa Warden)
    Everything will be fine with your son he will be trained by the best, you wish you could have been on the bus? lol,

Thread Information