Purple Heart for PTSD
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Purple Heart for PTSD

Just throwing this out there -- I am a Purple Heart recipient from Vietnam and all of us have some form of PTSD. Gates is contemplating the issuance of a Purple Heart for PTSD. What 's you views on this? I personally think that it will degrade the award.
    Those of you in the camp Lejeune Area, I am the adjutant for the local chapter of the Purple Heart WE are always looking for members, go to http://www.ncmoph.org/ and visit our web site.

Semper Fi

Last edited by thedrifter; 05-09-08 at 06:02 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    keep the heart the way it is......issue a PTSD heart iffen they want ta give somthin to us that went boo coo dinkydow.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree 110% it will downgrade the award.

I have PTSD too. But how much of that PTSD is from Vietnam, how much from Desert Storm, how much is due to police and paramedic work, and how much is due to being married to a bi-polar psycho?

Personally, I'd put Desert Storm, then Vietnam, at the lower end of the percentage scale of reasons I have PTSD. So why should I get a Heart for that?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by montana
    keep the heart the way it is......issue a PTSD heart iffen they want ta give somthin to us that went boo coo dinkydow.
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

If that passed I wouldn't wear it nor would i want it. Keep the PH as is, i know if this did pass no Marine would wear it. I seen guys get their legs blown off and am w/o a scratch that'd be a downgrade.

Purple Heart for PTSD

I agree with you. I don't think a purple heart should be awarded for PTSD. I believe PTSD is a condition and not a combat injury. The awarding of a purple heart would indeed degrade it. PTSD can come from many different possibilites and not just combat injuries.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    It should not be awarded for PTSD! Wounds or death in war or conflict ONLY!

Think of the new claims.....everytime someone has a episode,dream or gets a new med.....put in a claim and get a star....government BS at its finest!

I agree with all the above entrys. Don't change the Critera for the award. It will short change the warriors that earned it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree 100%, if they award it for PTSD then I should get it for my injuries in Nam as well. I was hurt while working on a BullDozer, Gunny Ermy was hurt when a bunker fell on him, there are injuries and there are wounded, lets keep it for our honored wounded and dead!

Thats my 2 cents,

Semper Fi

Dave

PTSD is currently classified as an illness and not an injury. Does that mean other illnesses might be considered as well? ...dang, how many purple hearts would've come out of Subic???

Quote Originally Posted by Amtracs
    I agree with all the above entrys. Don't change the Critera for the award. It will short change the warriors that earned it.
    Ya know it's funny (strange) "Top", but my father-in-law earned 2 purple hearts in Nam. He doesn't like to mention it because he feels like he abandoned his fellow Marines when he was medevaced back to Hawaii to recover. For him they bring only bad memories. And here we are, discussing PTSD Hearts?? Maybe I need one for three bad mariages.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Winger
    PTSD is currently classified as an illness and not an injury. Does that mean other illnesses might be considered as well? ...dang, how many purple hearts would've come out of Subic???
    LOL!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'd be pretty ****ed-off if that happened. I'm not happy I got the damned medal, but at least everyone knows what it means and how you have to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeley
    I'd be pretty ****ed-off if that happened. I'm not happy I got the damned medal, but at least everyone knows what it means and how you have to get one.
    Yeah, personally I am very proud of my father-in-law. But I didn't go through the Citidel, or the Tet Offensive so I can't even begin to understand all the emotions he deals with to this day. I know he re-upped after his first Purple so he could get back to his buddies, only to get a worse wound his second tour. Half an a** cheek shot off the second time. First wound was a mortor round that erased his best friend, and almost severed his carotid artery in his neck, while leaving a 6 inch scar across the back and side of his neck. I think, from what he has told me, he feels like he let down his fellow Marines by getting wounded. He is just starting to talk about his experiences, and it's been 40 years.

Thread Information