what is military time for midnight
Create Post

what is military time for midnight

What is military time for midnight . It seems like a no-brainer that 15 minutes after midnight would be 0015, but I have seen 2400 and 0000 used for midnight. In my job I have a need to use this occaisionally.

2400 for the same reasons as 360, avoids confusion

You end the day at 2400.

You begin the day at 0000.

In the 24-hour time notation, the day begins at midnight, 00:00, and the last minute of the day begins at 23:59. Where convenient, the notation 24:00 may also be used to refer to midnight at the end of a given date — that is, 24:00 of the current day is the same point in time as 00:00 of the following day.

The notation 24:00 mainly serves to refer to the exact end of a day in a time interval. A typical usage is giving opening hours ending at midnight, e.g. "00:00–24:00", "07:00–24:00". Similarly, some railway timetables show 00:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. Legal contracts often run from the start date at 00:00 till the end date at 24:00.

Time-of-day notations beyond 24:00 (such as 24:01 or 25:59) are neither commonly used nor covered by any relevant standards. However, they have been observed occasionally in some special contexts in Japan and Hong Kong where business hours extend beyond midnight, such as broadcast-television production.

Most digital clocks and watches show times between 00:00 to 23:59. As a notable exception, the digital clocks of at least one European manufacturer of kitchen appliances show 24:00 for midnight, rather than the standard 00:00.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock

Written: 2359 (1159pm) Verbalized: Twenty Three Fifty Nine Hours.
    Written: 2400 (Midnight) Verbalized: Twenty Four Hundred Hours
    Written: 0001 (1201AM) Verbalized: Zero oh One Hours (or Zero Zero One Hours)
    There are only 24 hours in a day. Not 24 hours and 59 minutes (2459).

Quote Originally Posted by MarineNCO
    Written: 2359 (1159pm) Verbalized: Twenty Three Fifty Nine Hours.
    Written: 2400 (Midnight) Verbalized: Twenty Four Hundred Hours
    Written: 0001 (1201AM) Verbalized: Zero oh One Hours (or Zero Zero One Hours)
    There are only 24 hours in a day. Not 24 hours and 59 minutes (2459).

When did Marines start using the word 'hours' after the time? Back in 1968, we were taught using the word 'hours' was for doggies and the Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Winger
    that is, 24:00 of the current day is the same point in time as 00:00 of the following day.
    .............Similarly, some railway timetables show 00:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. .

Man, that is one fast train!!! I ain't ridin on anything that gets there as soon as it leaves.

When did Marines start using the word 'hours' after the time? Back in 1968, we were taught using the word 'hours' was for doggies and the Air Force.
    Yup, semperfi170---that's the way it was '69-'73.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard
    Man, that is one fast train!!! I ain't ridin on anything that gets there as soon as it leaves.
    Next STOP! ....Yemassee!!

First big official graveyard shift back in the day i was told by a senior Marine (which was everyone) the first log entry should read: 0001 PFC______ relieves PFC_______ at this time. Post one all secure. The guy you relieved made his last log entry no later than 2400.

Today i believe that notation was accurate as 0000 means nothing, not midnight. Like 0 or 000 on a compass means nothing often before it clicks as 360 geo north. Digital readings on the multi-tasking watch/compass/altimeter display zero's. Is it midnight, is it north am i at sea level bone dry as a popcorn fart? WTF??? These zero notations can lead to confusion and despair, i've seen it. Especially when your tired, wet and cold like that job of sdk87to91's in the boonies. Wet cotton and confusion kills.

--->Dave

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I guess I will use 2400 and then 0001 since I am convinced by the arguements here that there is really no 0000 time, just like there is no 000 degrees in direction.
    I see that the other uses could be considered appropriate in some circumstaces and situations.

Thread Information