Pearl Harbor vet, Palomar work to preserve survivors' stories

By Steven Mihailovich
TODAY'S LOCAL NEWS

May 3, 2008

SAN MARCOS – When you walk into the living room of World War II veteran James Evans and his wife, Jeanne, you have to maneuver to get to a chair.

There are stacks of paper everywhere: on tables, shelves, furniture, almost any space available. The sheets of paper are aging, and the writing is faded.

Evans is holding onto them for the sake of history. They contain the stories of 25,000 U.S. veterans who were at Pearl Harbor the day the Japanese attacked.

The 84-year-old Evans is the national secretary of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, and the papers in his living room are the application forms of the 25,000 members at the organization's peak. There are now fewer than 5,000 members, and the average age is 86.

Palomar College is working with Evans, a San Marcos resident, to preserve the stories. History teacher Linda Dudik said volunteers at the school are scanning the documents and have recorded 6,000 since the project started in December 2006.

“It was Jim's idea,” Dudik said. “He was the one who came to us. He was afraid that something was going to happen to them.

“What distinguishes Jim Evans is his sense of history. It's very important to him that the story of World War II be known to younger generations.”

Evans feels strongly about history. He respects it. He enjoys talking about it. That's because he lived it.

Evans was stationed at Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay on Dec. 7, 1941, the day of infamy when Japanese warplanes attacked American naval installations without warning. Evans was 17 at the time, having joined the Marine Corps in 1940 after growing up in Chicago.

“The Depression was one of the reasons I joined,” Evans said. “It was just me and my mother at home. We were poor before it was the thing to be.”

Evans was in his barracks looking at the mirror in his locker before his 8 a.m. duty at the field gate when the Japanese attacked. Someone shouted into the barracks to come out and see the spectacle, but Evans said no one responded immediately because they were sleeping in late after a Saturday night.

“We heard the thump-thump-thump sound,” Evans recalled. “The station was still under construction, so we were used to that sound. But it was Sunday, and you knew the civil service doesn't work.”

Evans' station was the first to be attacked. Although the assault spurred the 25 Marines in Evans' barracks to grab their rifles, no one had any clue what was happening.

“You're wondering what the hell is going on,” Evans said. “We weren't in a war. You don't know what these planes are doing up there. It could be a maneuver.

“In 1941, if you asked what was the insignia of the Japanese Navy, 99 out of 100 wouldn't know.”

While other soldiers began firing from the ground, Evans climbed onto the roof. He said a Japanese plane was 50 yards away just as he got to the roof.

“I saw the Japanese pilot grinning at me, and I was cursing him,” Evans said. “I shot five rounds and stopped. I figured out I wasn't going to hit a plane going at 200 mph. But I could see everything.

“They did some good work. They got 33 planes, and two hangars were burning. There wasn't much left.”

Evans said neither he nor his comrades realized the scope of the historic event while it was occurring.

“Sometimes you have to read a book to learn what you actually did,” he said.

Evans said the country's fighting spirit was fanned by Pearl Harbor. It stayed that way for the duration, particularly against the Japanese for dragging the country into war.

Pearl Harbor wasn't Evans' only meeting with history. In July 1942, he was assigned as a rifleman with the 2nd Regiment in the 2nd Marine Division and saw action at battles in the Pacific including Guadalcanal, Saipan and Tarawa.

Evans recounts the atrocities that were committed on both sides during the war but argues simple logic.

“Some of the things we did, we're not really proud of it,” he said. “The fact is, we were no better than them when it comes to killed or be killed. But you resent being dragged to that level.”

Evans lectures about his war experiences to students across North County. He said he gives about 15 speeches annually at local schools.

They include Palomar College, where Dudik teaches a course called World War II Generation and invites 30 vets to speak each semester.

“I've heard veterans who ramble or don't do it logically,” Dudik said. “Jim Evans speaks methodically and brings humor to it.”

Evans said the decision to speak about his combat experience was difficult, yet it has become cathartic and pleasing.

“I get more out of it than the kids do,” Evans said. “I just feel good that I've done something for these kids, whether they know it or not. Something no one else can do. ...

“I used to think, that's over with and it's none of your business. But Jeanne explained the facts of life. If I don't tell them, no one will. If young people don't understand what happened in their country, how are they going to feel anything about it?”

Steven Mihailovich: (760) 752-6753; steven.mihailovich@tlnews.net

Ellie