Have a kid, but not married.. Does that disqualify me?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Have a kid, but not married.. Does that disqualify me?

I'm 17 years old. My son will be born june 21st. My girlfriend and I aren't married. We would be, but her parents don't consent to the marriage. Anyways, I was checking out all the requirements for joining any branch of the military.

"be single with no children or married with 2 or less children"
    That's on army.com

I'm not single, but i'm not married. Where does that put me?

Thanks for the help!

You should be ok to join. They will verify that you're not leaving the baby with no financial support. It sounds like her parents are taking that responsibility upon themselves.

And point of fact, you are single. Married is a legal status. You either are or you are not.

Credits
    Savings
    Couldn't get ahold of a Marine recruiter, so i called a air force recruiter. He told me that I couldn't get into any branch of the army in this situation. He said that National guard isn't as strict though.

If anyone here who is a recruiter for the marines or been through this situation and still got in, could you post in this topic and let me know?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo90
    Couldn't get ahold of a Marine recruiter, so i called a air force recruiter. He told me that I couldn't get into any branch of the army in this situation. He said that National guard isn't as strict though.

If anyone here who is a recruiter for the marines or been through this situation and still got in, could you post in this topic and let me know?

Thanks

If you want to go Air Force then go...but as far as the Marines go...if that is your son...all you need is a birth certificate to get him taken care of....the Marine Corps takes care of their own and their families. Thing you have to realize here is that if youhave to pay child support that will automatically be deducyed from your pay. Or do you guys plan on getting married? Thses are the variables that affect any answer to your question, ok?

Credits
    Savings
    Well, we would like to get married, but her parents don't consent to it.

As far as child support goes. I'm all for it. As long as the baby is getting everything he needs, then i'm fine. I want to be in the marines, because it has been something i've always wanted to do, not because of the pay, so i'm not worried about getting anything deducted.

SON YOU JUST NEED TO CONTACT YOU LOCAL MARINE RECRUITER.HOWEVER I DO NOT THINK IT WILL DISQUALIFY YOU OR JUST WAIT A YEAR UNTIL SHE IS EIGHTEEN THEN YOU DO NOT NEED HER FAMILY.THEY WILL TAKE CHILD SUPPORT OUT OF YOUR PAY BUT AS YOU SAY THAT ISNT A PROBLEM YOU SHOULD SUPPORT YOUR CHILD ANYWAY.GOOD LUCK

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by AL49BGN
    SON YOU JUST NEED TO CONTACT YOU LOCAL MARINE RECRUITER.HOWEVER I DO NOT THINK IT WILL DISQUALIFY YOU OR JUST WAIT A YEAR UNTIL SHE IS EIGHTEEN THEN YOU DO NOT NEED HER FAMILY.THEY WILL TAKE CHILD SUPPORT OUT OF YOUR PAY BUT AS YOU SAY THAT ISNT A PROBLEM YOU SHOULD SUPPORT YOUR CHILD ANYWAY.GOOD LUCK
    I agree, contact your recruiter. It is their job to answer these type questions. The Marine Corps will make sure you are not leaving the baby without financial support.

Thread Information