Swimming Qualifications!
Create Post

Swimming Qualifications!

I wanna get a head start on preparing for boot camp but i don't know what the tasks are for the different swimming qualifications are. Can any one help me out?

Credits
    Savings
    Our resident swimming expert, Marine84, can answer all your questions, as I know she can SEARCH and find all the answers for you.

Maybe if you PM her, she could help you out.

Credits
    Savings
    I forgot to add, she has GREAT buoyancy!!!

She can float better than Mae West!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BigAl's big head makes him a better flotation device - LOL! The only thing I qualified for was an anchor for the Navy!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    BigAl's big head makes him a better flotation device - LOL! The only thing I qualified for was an anchor for the Navy!
    Man, do I ever want too, but I ain't stupid, and I ain't touching that with a 10' pole.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It would have only been a 115 LB anchor back then BigAl - LOL!

Kstarr,

There are 4 different levels to swim week, You'll start at level 4 which is just basic sqimming. Then the next day with be swim qual 3. Which is basic swimming and buoyancy in cammis and boots. Then next day will be swim qual 2. Its done in boots and cammis rifle and lbv while towing another recruit some odd meters. I believe its 50 meters one way and he totes you back 50 meters the other way. Then there is swim qual 1 which i know they do not do in boot camp anymore because they are noe traing "basic marines" emphasis on the key word basic.

Its really all very easy if you can swim. If not, just take 15 minutes out of your day for 5 days out of the week and swim continuously. until you build your endurance up to being about to swim for 45 minutes non stop. You'll not only be ready for swim week but it'll help you should you decide to go for recon.

Which brings me to another suggestion. Run, run, run. at least a mile a day but work up to 3 miles a day and boot camp will be a freakin breeze for you.

PerfectStorm, you need to get your info straight. If you're trying to tell me you don't swim in cammies and boots for swim qual 4, you're off your rocker. If you're trying to tell me you don't have a pack and rifle for swim qual 3, you're out of your gourd.

Sorry Cpl, it was all a breeze so i slightly remember it. I apologize for not being able to give 100% accurate information.

Goodevening Cpl.

Quote Originally Posted by KStarr
    Can any one help me out?
    Sure, can you swim? yes ok then prep yourself for boot camp with PT and knowledge...M16 mechanics and nomenclature, first-aid, general orders, Marine Corps history etc...can you identify the symptoms and help a Marine with heatstroke? How about heat exhaustion? Clear lungs if he/she couldn't swim, can you?

--->Dave

PerfectStorm, I didn't want you to think of that as a chewing out or anything. It certainly was a breeze though; that's for sure. It's just that if you dont' remember something 100% (trust me, I certainly don't know everything lol) try and do some research on it first. Same applies to the one who asked the question, of course. Good initiative, nonetheless. It's just our duty to keep the poolee's on this website as accurately informed as possible. Keep up the moto.

Hope you have a good evening as well.

Recruits begin the course with CWS-4 qualification, the minimum qualification requirement for enlisted Marines, which focuses on personal survival without combat gear.

At this level, recruits swim 25-meters in shallow water using the beginner or survival stroke. They are also required to enter the pool from a 15-foot tower simulating the abandon ship technique. After returning to the surface they swim to an area where they tread water for four minutes. Recruits then swim another 25 meters to obtain the minimum requirement for graduation.

After recruits complete the requirements for CWS-4, they move on to the more difficult third and second classes— which involve full combat gear.

The third class qualification begins with recruits entering the water using the abandon ship technique and swimming 25 meters. Recruits then don full combat gear, enter shallow water and swim 40 meters to the other side of the pool.

Recruits again enter the pool using the abandon ship technique, only this time from an 8-foot tower while wearing full combat gear. One final 25-meter swim completes the third class qualification.

The second class water survival qualification is the last level recruits can obtain in boot camp. The qualification focuses on assisting an exhausted or wounded Marine to safety while wearing full combat gear.

After swimming 50 meters, recruits drag other recruits, simulating wounded Marines, 25 meters to earn the second class qualification.

Thread Information