PittsMom Skeered
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

PittsMom Skeered

My son is 17 years old & is graduating HS this month-1 Year Early. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of him driving a car. Now he wants to go to war! Not just "serve his country", he actually wants to go fight.

His dad is in Iraq now but will be home for HS Graduation, but only for 2 weeks. He's pressuring me to pressure his dad to SIGN FOR HIM TO ENLIST AS A MINOR!

His dad & I would be so proud and supportive, but he is OUR son and he's only 17 (that's the mom part of me talking). How can we make a decision like that?

The war & the MARINES will be there when he turns 18. Then we can be supportive and proud without the guilt. Either way, he is an incredible kid. The Marines is where his heart is & I'm sure he'd be better for becoming one of the brothers!!

Any inside advise would be seriously appreciated.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!! PittsMom

I say sign now. If it is what he really wants he is going to do it when he turns 18 anyway. By doing it now you may potentially save yourself that issue of him feeling as though you did not support his decision on because you would not let him enlist early. That is just one possibility and only my opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    I'd say let him join. It'll be a year before he deploys - Boot Camp, MOS School, etc.

This war is winding down but there will be others. If this is what he truly wants why deny him?

We thought my son was joining the USAF - Surprise!!!!

The Corps has been a BLESSING.

As A Parent Myself A Understand Your Fears,however If He Trully Wants To Join He Will When He Is 18 Yrs Old With Or Without Your Blessing.if It Is What He Trully Wants I Am Sure Having Your Support Would Mean A Lot To Him.good Luck!

I am not sure but maybe one of the NCO's on here can confirm, a order that states 18 and older only in a combat zone or deployed? not sure but I do remember reading that somewere it may have been a bill some congressmen was trying to pass or something like that.

Doc Mullins

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Its not all on your shoulders, nothing has to be decided today. When Dad gets back you all will have plenty of time to talk about the future.

By him graduating early, he has already shown you what he is made of. It sounds like you and his dad have done a great job. If he truly wants to enlist you should let him. My mother did it for me back in 1975 and it was the best thing she could do for me. The corps made me what I am today, but my mother gave me a great start. Good luck with your family.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Let him go....he wants to go anyhow! And it will be sometime before he goes... then he will be eighteen anyhow.

It's your job to be a mother and worry.....but ma'am let him go from the nest.

You and dad raised him this far....let the Marine Corps turn him into a seventeen year old man.

I would be honored that he wants to go and enlist.

The odds are high that he will go to a land of battle.....but the odds are even higher that he will take with him the knowledge and expertise to survive,excel and make you both and the world proud!

This is from the way he was raised and the extensive training he will receive before he is assigned to go anywhere.

I agree that the decision does not have to be done today...wait until his dad comes home....but in my personal opinion and there is nothing wrong with going either way..I would rather say my son daughter is in the Marine Corps instead of my son/daughter is flippin' burgers at the greasy spoon.

Good luck to you....and by the way when does he turn 18?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    Let him go....he wants to go anyhow! And it will be sometime before he goes... then he will be eighteen anyhow.

It's your job to be a mother and worry.....but ma'am let him go from the nest.

You and dad raised him this far....let the Marine Corps turn him into a seventeen year old man.

I would be honored that he wants to go and enlist.

The odds are high that he will go to a land of battle.....but the odds are even higher that he will take with him the knowledge and expertise to survive,excel and make you both and the world proud!

This is from the way he was raised and the extensive training he will receive before he is assigned to go anywhere.

I agree that the decision does not have to be done today...wait until his dad comes home....but in my personal opinion and there is nothing wrong with going either way..I would rather say my son daughter is in the Marine Corps instead of my son/daughter is flippin' burgers at the greasy spoon.

Good luck to you....and by the way when does he turn 18?
    He turns 18 on Sept 12th.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    If this is any consolation.....by the time he goes through boot camp,SOI/MCT or MOS school he will be over eighteen before he hits the fleet. I can not vouch for todays Marines because the turn around is fast...but I would venture to say that he would have sometime to train with his unit before being shipped out.

Also since he has not enlisted as of yet...his MOS would determine where he goes in an overseas tour.The CMC said he wants ALL Marines to serve overseas...however,where they would serve and for how long...I would venture to say that would be determined by unit and MOS.

As I am not in the here and now....this is speculation....but,this is also what I am hearing down here at Camp Lejeune,NC from some of the younger Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by PittsMom
    My son is 17 years old & is graduating HS this month-1 Year Early. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of him driving a car. Now he wants to go to war! Not just "serve his country", he actually wants to go fight.

His dad is in Iraq now but will be home for HS Graduation, but only for 2 weeks. He's pressuring me to pressure his dad to SIGN FOR HIM TO ENLIST AS A MINOR!

His dad & I would be so proud and supportive, but he is OUR son and he's only 17 (that's the mom part of me talking). How can we make a decision like that?

The war & the MARINES will be there when he turns 18. Then we can be supportive and proud without the guilt. Either way, he is an incredible kid. The Marines is where his heart is & I'm sure he'd be better for becoming one of the brothers!!

Any inside advise would be seriously appreciated.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!! PittsMom
    Whatever he decides will be in God's hands, Semper FI.

Thread Information