My son wants to join Marines
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My son wants to join Marines

My 18 yr old has been planning on joining the Navy for the longest, but last night he told us he wants to go Marines instead. He was in 6th grade on 9/11 and from that day on we've known that he was going to serve in the military. I'm going to support him with whatever decision he makes, but honestly - the Marines scair me. The boy has a huge heart and the most patriotic of any 18 year old I've ever known, I know being a solder and serving is his dream. Any one care to share some first hand experience w/ the Marines? I'm also smart enough to know that the media spins so much and focuses on the negatives, they aren't best friends to any branch of the military, but especially not the Marines . . . I'd like to hear from some people who have first hand knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ksmamato2
    My 18 yr old has been planning on joining the Navy for the longest, but last night he told us he wants to go Marines instead. He was in 6th grade on 9/11 and from that day on we've known that he was going to serve in the military. I'm going to support him with whatever decision he makes, but honestly - the Marines scair me. The boy has a huge heart and the most patriotic of any 18 year old I've ever known, I know being a solder and serving is his dream. Any one care to share some first hand experience w/ the Marines? I'm also smart enough to know that the media spins so much and focuses on the negatives, they aren't best friends to any branch of the military, but especially not the Marines . . . I'd like to hear from some people who have first hand knowledge.
    1. The Marines scare me, too. But they scare the enemy even more.
    2. Heart is a good quality and we like to see that.
    3. Mamm, we get our fair share of bad press but it's all part of the job. Sometime we create our own bad press but again it comes with the territory. Most Marines on active duty couldn't tell you what the press is saying about them, because they're fighting and winning battles, not listening to the media. I suggest you turn off the TV or change the station.

Your son will be fine.

My first hand knowledge is it will change his life, forever. It is very unlikely that he'll regret it, I can't say that for the other branches. But in the Corps he'll be in good hands; trained by the greatest warriors our country has. He will eat three meals a day and he will have unlimited future potential, if and when he decides to get out.

Oooh, and one more thing though,,,he will not be is a soldier if he joins the Marines. We are Marines, plain and simple, call us little green amphibious monsters, if you will, but please not soldiers, Mamm.

The Marines is a scary thing. But after serving for 4 years and in a war I am glad of what i did. The Marines gave me something that none else could have given me. They gave me honor, tradition, and many other untangle-able qualities and abilities. I can understand your fear for your son and his willingness to join the Marines. But I would encourage him he will be trying to be one of the best of the best. He will be part of the finest origination in the world and while i can't sit here and guarantee his safety i can tell you he will be much safer than he would be in any other fighting force and get a ton of of great brothers out of it. I can only imagine what your going threw, I put my parents threw hell and back before i joined.

Credits
    Savings
    The Marines changed my life. I experienced things I would have never experienced as a civilian. As a whole the Marines made me a stronger, more disciplined individual. The Marines are the best trained service out there with the most loyal brothers. Marines don't just fight for God and country, but for the men in his unit beside him, or any Marine in the area. There will always be Marines around him watching his back. He will be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mamm, I was so introverted before joining, I couldn't face a cashier at the store 'cause I was afraid I would make a mistake and be judged.
    Ask around about ole Sparkie. Introverted? Not. The Marines have great things to offer,,,,, like manhood, honor, destiny, and lotsa bullkrap too numerus to bring up. Life is a risk. He could join, or forever wish he had.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate you taking time to reply to my post.

Also, thank you for all that you do to serve our country. Thank you and God bless you and keep you safe.

Isn't it funny how when a Marine does something wrong it is blown up and the fact that he is a marine or former Marine is mentioned?

What about if it is a former soldier, airmen or squid? nope it is only mentioned that so and so comitted a crime, why do you think this is?

It is because we are the best and people look for ways to make us look bad. One incident does not make everyone bad.

Yes the Marines are hard and it is scary, but would you rather you son be under trained and stuck in the same war or do you want him to have top of the line training?

Why settle with another branch when he can be elite? Have every military branch in the world fear him because he is a US Marine, some countries fear us so much they will not even look our direction.

When I was deployed in Iraq we laughed at the other branches because of their lack of training and discipline.

Once we were in an area with the Army and when we packed up and left no more than 30 minutes after we were gone they fell under attack. I believe that they were afraid to attack while the Marines were there.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The Marines are the best trained service out there with the most loyal brothers.
    That is the Truth.

Dear Sir, The Marines tought me a lot. And they will teach your son also. I've been out of active duty for almost 20 years now. I still see myself as a Marine and always will.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I am not a Marine. My dad was a Marine (enlisted & retired USAF Maj.) and my son is a Marine.

My father was buried as a Marine (Not Air Force) and after attending my son’s graduation at Parris Island, now I know why.

You will TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Fear not. He'll be in good hands.

Credits
    Savings
    My son left yesterday for parris island and im only proud not sad.this is what he wants to do and that is an honorable thing in this day.cant wait to see these young men strut across the parade ground in july

keith

Credits
    Savings
    Now the hard part. Write, write, write, and relax. The DI's will get him through.

Ya done good dad!!!!!

Ya'll will be in our thought and prayers.

Once a Marine Always a Marine

Quote Originally Posted by DAMNPROUD
    My son left yesterday for parris island and im only proud not sad.this is what he wants to do and that is an honorable thing in this day.cant wait to see these young men strut across the parade ground in july

keith
    Write lots of letters and relax. The Di's will complete the job you started, and a d--n fine job you have done. The pride of seeing my son on the Parade Deck is only surpassed by the day he was born.

Quote Originally Posted by ksmamato2
    Best decision my son made, and as the commercial says "Marines don't take applications, they take commitments". He may enlist but you will be drafted in.

Thread Information