HELP! Enlisted to OCS?
Create Post

Exclamation HELP! Enlisted to OCS?

Hey, my name is Jamie and right now i'm scheduled to leave on May 27th for bootcamp. Here's my situation:

I am a Freshman at college and I have a lot going for me here. This causes a lot of people to question why I am choosing to go enlisted rather than going through OCS to become an officer. Initially, I was completely against that idea. Enlisting for active duty really appealed to me and I had a hard time with the idea of becoming an officer and leading people in something I've never gone through myself. So, my thought was to work up from the bottom to earn the ranking.

However, now I am really considering switching from active to OCS. I currently run Track and Field here and am the number one runner on the team. I have been having long discussions with my coach about my potential to be at the national championships throughout college. I also love college, so I guess I'm just worried that I am going to leave all of this and later regret it. I just wanted to know your guys's thoughts about this.

Is it easy to switch from enlisted to OCS?
    Do you get a better experience going enlisted?
    Do you have as much respect for an officer that hasn't initially served?
    Since I already have a year of college under my belt, would it be smarter for me to just finish?
    Would it be better to go enlisted and later apply for MECEP?
    Do female officers have just as much responsibility/respect?

Thank you for your time! God bless

All of these questions could have been answered with a search.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwenzel
    Is it easy to switch from enlisted to OCS?
    Once you have a degree, relatively easy if you qualify and are not actively serving an active duty contract.

Do you get a better experience going enlisted?
    Better in what way?
    Pay, quarters, and privileges for officers are better.
    Chances to get your hands dirty on gain practical experience in technical fields is better for enlisted.

Do you have as much respect for an officer that hasn't initially served?
    Yes. We respect the rank because it was earned. However, we respect the Marine depending on their leadership style and work ethic.

Since I already have a year of college under my belt, would it be smarter for me to just finish?
    If your ultimate goal is to become an officer, an active duty time is just delaying your objective. Finish college (and enjoy it), then you can join our ranks.

Would it be better to go enlisted and later apply for MECEP?
    MECEP like all other meritorious programs is very competitive. You have to be sure you are the absolute best Marine among truly good Marines. I wouldn't suggest enlisting with that goal in mind. You are more likely to get disappointed.

Do female officers have just as much responsibility/respect?
    We have female officers? Nobody is going to care what gender you are when you can accomplish your missions and secure objectives.

God Bless Captain FG, US Army, walking outside the wire with the SF. SHE has my love, respect, and admiration during her 2nd tour and likely earning a repeat CAB.

Contact the local OCS recruiter in your area. Yes, OCS has a different recruiting system then enlisted. Finish college. Being an Officer in the Marine Corps has it's perks. But know this...It is never easy. You don't eat until your men do. You don't sleep until they are taken care of. You never rest, you never stay at ease. The Enlisted like to razz the Officers, they have the right to. They are the Marine Corps. OOORRAAHHH!! The Corps expect a lot out of their Officers and you will give all the you got, all the time. If you make it through OCS then you will know what I am talking about. Please feel free yo contact me with any other concerns.

You've had two very good answers so far and I hope you gathered the right course of action from it.

The most telling part of your post was that you are worried you might miss college. You will.

Take an honest look at your life and your goals and dreams and ask yourself where you want to be in 20 years. Forget the recruiter hype. This is something you can only settle for yourself. If college is involved in it, then finish it now. No one ever got ahead by hopscotching from one thing to another in life and hoped that they'd be able to make up something in the future that they purposely overlooked today. Many opportunities are lost because we assume we'll have another chance. And a lot of times... life doesn't give 2nd chances. That's stuff from fairy tales.

Thread Information