Snipes gets the max -- 3 years -- in tax case
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

Snipes gets the max -- 3 years -- in tax case

OCALA, Florida (CNN) -- Actor Wesley Snipes was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison for three misdemeanor counts of failing to file tax returns -- the maximum requested by federal prosecutors.
    Wesley Snipes leaves federal court after being sentenced to threes years in prison Thursday.

"Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him," said Assistant Attorney General Nathan J. Hochman of the Justice Department's Tax Division.

Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Douglas Shulman said the law is clear on taxes.

"There is no secret formula that eliminates a person's tax obligations, nor are there any special exceptions," he said.

"The majority of Americans pay their taxes timely and accurately. Those who willfully violate the law must be held accountable."

In a civil suit, the IRS is seeking repayment of all taxes and interest from Snipes.

Federal prosecutors said the actor for nearly a decade escaped paying more than $15 million in income tax returns by sending money to overseas accounts, though they acknowledged in court that the amount is in dispute.

Before the sentencing, the actor asked the court to show mercy and offered three checks totaling $5 million as a gesture of good will.

Federal prosecutors diverted the checks to the U.S. Treasury -- which accepted the payment -- but it wasn't enough.

"It's essentially a down payment, but a fraction of what he owes," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Scotland Morris.

Snipes' attorneys -- who had argued he should get probation or house arrest -- said they will appeal the sentence.

The actor, who showed little reaction, gave a loud "wow" to the crowd as he exited the courtroom. Watch Snipes leave the court »

A jury convicted Snipes on the misdemeanor charges February 1, but he was acquitted of more serious felony charges of tax fraud and conspiracy. Jurors accepted his argument that he was innocently duped by errant tax advisers.

Defense attorneys in court documents suggested that to sentence Snipes harshly would be to disregard the jury's verdict.

But prosecutors, in their sentencing recommendation, said the jurors' decision "has been portrayed in the mainstream media as a 'victory' for Snipes. The troubling implication of such coverage for the millions of average citizens who are aware of this case is that the rich and famous Wesley Snipes has 'gotten away with it.' In the end the criminal conduct of Snipes must not be seen in such a light."

Snipes, who has starred in dozens of movies, including the "Blade" trilogy, "Major League" and "Murder at 1600" had received the support of many of Hollywood friends. Defense attorneys filed 39 pages of testimonials, letters from a Hollywood "Who's Who" list and also high school friends and his employees.

Actors Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson, as well as television judges Joe Brown and Greg Mathis, submitted letters to the judge on Snipes' behalf.
    In his letter, Washington said Snipes was "like a tree -- a mighty oak ... Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labors, have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence. I am proud of him, proud to call him a fellow thespian and most importantly, proud to call him a friend."

Brown, who addressed the court on Thursday, likened Snipes to legendary actors, including Sidney Poitier, and said, "I have been something of a mentor to the young man."

Another witness described how Snipes had helped train personnel from 33 airlines on safety techniques after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, without seeking pay or media attention.

"This man is one of the most honorable men of character," said Robert Wall, CEO and president of World Black Belt, a martial arts training firm. "He's made mistakes, but I'm so impressed with the depth of his character.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/24/...ing/index.html

Two things all Americans have to do:

1. Pay Taxes.

2. Die.

you don't **** with the IRS

The money them actors make and can't keep up with taxes they should be put away longer.

Yelp burn his arse if we got too pay the IRS so should he.. What a dumb arse a decade goes by and he still hadnt made arrangements to pay his taxes he got what anyone else would be getting (Jail Time).

Took the IRS long enough. They bagged in only 3 yrs for $1200 in tax on $4000. WTF.

Credits
    Savings
    My only question is..... Will he be the bad arse he plays in the movies ... or will he become someones girl friend

I don't think prison really solves the problem. I think they should be allowed to work and garnish the hell out of them. That way they get punished and the taxes are paid, especially someone who has the potential he has for making bucks.

S/F
    Finger

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger
    I don't think prison really solves the problem. I think they should be allowed to work and garnish the hell out of them. That way they get punished and the taxes are paid, especially someone who has the potential he has for making bucks.

S/F
    Finger

Didn't they do just that to stoned Willy Nelson?

Snipes apparently cut a check for $5 mil to the USG prior to his sentencing.

Bloomberg.com

"Snipes, in refusing to pay taxes, followed tactics employed by so-called tax deniers, the government said. Such people claim the law doesn't require U.S. citizens to pay income tax, often relying on century-old Supreme Court cases and repudiated legal theories to make their case. The Justice Department earlier this year began a nationwide crackdown against the movement, pledging to target tax deniers with criminal and civil cases."

The rest => http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aKNiX4rXIPoA

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Snipes is a bad a*s and has been studying martial arts for years i doubt if anyone tries him and plus federal prison is a joke. He'll be eating steaks and reading movie scripts.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Snipes got what he deserved and I feel your correct Darkgreen. He is going to eat all the tube steak he wants. Don't be fooled. Federal prison is no joke. You just don't mess with the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97
    Didn't they do just that to stoned Willy Nelson?
    Hell yeah after dad IRS popped Sillie Nelson he hashed together an album and crooned "who will buy my memories" at an attempt to appease the IRS. Like to make us think memories was about all he had left, but i doubt it. The commercials with that hair and macramé strap on a junk guitar reminded me of a hippy panhandler who once knew the good life, pathetic. A mere shadow of Barbarosa. Willie would have faired better in California celebrity divorce court.

Bobbie Fischer owed taxes on his winnings from Fischer vs Spassky II. 92' Sarajevo. Fischer played despite United Nations sanctions against Yugoslavia and a warning from the United States Treasury Department, which threatened him with severe penalties for playing. Fischer is dead but was smart enough to never again return to the U.S. where he would have been molested.

Snipes the foolish has been action-ego hero reduced to whoring infomercials with Christie and the Chuckster still couldn't keep the IRS off his neck.

I've paid quarterly taxes for what seems like forever. The earnings from approx 1 out of every 2 and 3/4 horses trimmed or shod is 'donated' to the IRS. After materials and operating expenses its often 1/2 my gross income. Snipes, Nelson or Fischer could spend a tour FAP'ed out sterilizing the penitentiary ****ters for all i give a damn.

--->Dave

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97
    My only question is..... Will he be the bad arse he plays in the movies ... or will he become someones girl friend
    He's headed to the "Federal prison system". It's a JOKE and he knows it. Most cut grass, work in laundry facilities and such without even as much as a fence to keep them within the confines of the facility. At Saufley Field in Pensacola, they have a yellow line on the ground that confines them...that is all. Lots of the guys who were kept at Eglin cut the grass on the softball fields at Eglin and Hurlburt. I met a guy named Luis who admitted to me he dealt coke for nearly 20 years and retired only to get rolled over on by a bro who was going to do hard time. Luis got 17 years for being "dimed out". Luis was a hell of a groundskeeper though at Hurlburt Field.

All of these inmates are also required to earn a GED if they do not have one and learn a trade or earn college credits towards a new skill that will make them marketable to an employer once they leave prison. Those are included in the conditions for their release. ( I know all of this because I applied for a teaching position with the Feds system 12 years ago. It was a sweet paying job with early retirement too. Starting pay was 37,500 to start over a dozen years ago and you were pretty much guaranteed to make it to GS-11.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311
    Snipes is a bad a*s and has been studying martial arts for years i doubt if anyone tries him and plus federal prison is a joke. He'll be eating steaks and reading movie scripts.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!
    Have you ever been in one? Worked in one? Club Fed is closed! No steaks here. Just a national menu.

Thread Information