Squared away uniform tricks... - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    I bought most of my clothing from the base cleaners. I could get shirts for 50 cents, complete with chevrons. There was always clothing left over where people had left them for one reason or another. I then went next door and had them tailored with the money I saved. My Charlies always looked good. As did my Trops and Greens. I used a bar of soap and ran it down the inside of every crease of my greens. Using a "warm" iron I melted the soap and it gave me a razor sharp edge. Be careful - don't use too much soap. Back during the late 60s when we had a junk on the bunk, I put out my old skivies for the old timers. No elastic. They had tie-ties. You could iron them flat and the WWII and Korean vets would stop and talk about the old skivies and skip everything else.

Last edited by William Hardy; 06-14-09 at 02:34 PM. Reason: left out part of sentence

Why is it that everyone looks for the tricks? 2 tours on the street and one as a DI School Instructor and not one trick. Learn to do it the right way the first time and you'll ALWAYS be ready. Treat the gear like it meant something to you and use what is authorized to use. No tricks not even any hard work!

One of the happiest days of my life was when I found this shirt stay http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/.../36963035.html you slip your foot into the loop so there is ZERO chance of of the sock end of the metal tipped stay to come loose and snap you in your manhood, causing you to let out an effeminate "oof" which generally is a serious break in bearing I also bought a set of http://www.ultimateblouser.com/index.html from that guy running around Camp Pendleton. My NCOs made fun of me but they were much more comfortable than boot bands. I was bored so one day I took the instructions part of the Eagle Globe and Anchor Iron on and Ironed it to the inside of my Wooland blouse

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311 View Post
    I remember also seeing guys take a whole roll of toilet paper and hold it inside of their covers and take a hot iron and iron the top of the cover. I guess it was a way to make the top of the cover firm on top and not sink in the middle i never understood why they did it.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!
    This was so you didn't burn ya little fingers, but you can do it better without the roll of toilet paper. I still iron my 8-point when in Garrison I use liquid starch to keep it hardened, but starch in combat turns your cammies black when looking through NVGs or any type of night vision googles making you stand out like a soar thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by psijac View Post
    One of the happiest days of my life was when I found this shirt stay http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/.../36963035.html you slip your foot into the loop so there is ZERO chance of of the sock end of the metal tipped stay to come loose and snap you in your manhood, causing you to let out an effeminate "oof" which generally is a serious break in bearing I also bought a set of http://www.ultimateblouser.com/index.html from that guy running around Camp Pendleton. My NCOs made fun of me but they were much more comfortable than boot bands. I was bored so one day I took the instructions part of the Eagle Globe and Anchor Iron on and Ironed it to the inside of my Wooland blouse

so those blousers are elastic?

Even after being out the MArines I love staying squared away. Semper Fi

Sempfer Fi. MALS -31 Avionics . We stay squared away in and out of uniform

Last edited by thedrifter; 09-30-09 at 11:54 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMarine View Post
    Sempfer Fi. MALS -31 Avionics . We stay squared away in and out of uniform

I started my music & film company when I got out in 05 at the best rank in the Marines.... Sgt!

Support with a vote.
    vote for our artists song "Let Me Take You". by Kayo feat. Yung Capo of my recording company ChiCityInc. It was just on 1075 WGCI chicago . go to www.djtimbuck2.com and scroll down and vote.

Hope everything is good with all you Marines and you all are succeeding in life!

Semper Fi. RIP to my fallen brothers.

AGAIN!!!

... how many times are you going to post this?

Mopp and glow...

I remember using a bit of Windex. Some tricks are just an excuse not to do it right the first time. With uniform preparation, I'd tell my guys preparation is the key. Just do it right

look what they learned u how ta do

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    AGAIN!!!

... how many times are you going to post this?
    Look maw, look Paw, da MoRines learned me how ta use fonts and size lettern

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMarine View Post
    Look maw, look Paw, da MoRines learned me how ta use fonts and size lettern
    Hey JACK*** your sig is annoying and that comments is disrespectful. I could care less that you were a Sgt when you got out. If you want to call yourself a Marine you DMAN well better RESPECT those who went before you. You want to try and talk down to a combat vet? Where do you get off?

I may have missed this but any tips or tricks for squaring away the vinyl DressBlues cover. Its been in storage and has a couple marks where the strap may have rested and some spots on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGarland View Post
    I may have missed this but any tips or tricks for squaring away the vinyl Dress Blues cover. Its been in storage and has a couple marks where the strap may have rested and some spots on the top.
    I have seen success with gentle heat - put the vinyl where it can get warm heat (never hot) - in winter you can put it over an air duct. Southern facing window ledge - on top of the water heater. If it is not bad, you may be able to place it face down on top of the dryer when laundry is done. Never try an iron, oven, or hair dryer (blow dryer). It may need the gentle heat for a day or it may take it a week or more, but slow is good. If the underlying material is damage and won't rebound, a new purchase will be necessary.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Why is it that everyone looks for the tricks? 2 tours on the street and one as a DI School Instructor and not one trick. Learn to do it the right way the first time and you'll ALWAYS be ready. Treat the gear like it meant something to you and use what is authorized to use. No tricks not even any hard work!
    I respect your statement and basically agree...but that is the starting point. Sometimes more than just a clean uniform fresh from the cleaners is needed. I take this thread as being a place were some of us older guys can offer help to the young ones. There are tricks such as the best way to spit shine shoes...not everyone has the option of buying corfam or patent leather shoes. What's wrong with sharing the different ways to spit shine or anything else that may come along. I'm glad these guys are asking...it tells me they care and want to be more squared away.

Just for the record - not everyone is looking for a shortcut to "get by". Some of the "tricks" to staying squared away are needed by many who do not fit "off-the-rack" clothing. Back when we wore the old utilities with shirt tails tucked in, they look really bad when a skinny guy had to wear a shirt that was too big in the waist. When we were paid less than a hundred dollars a month, tailoring was not the option we chose. We had to resort to a few stitches where the blouse was to be pinched and then folded forward towards the waist. A few choice stitches keep the waist line trim and made it easier to stay squared away. Personally, later on after getting promoted and having a few more dollars, I did in fact get my clothing tailored and those "tricks" were no longer an issue. I know of many E8s and E9 (both MSGT/1stSgt & MGYSgt/SGTMaj) who had their front pockets sewed up to make their frontal appearance look smooth and clean. I can remember on several occasions when we had "junk on the bunk" inspections and the inspection team offered "tricks-of-the-trade" to the men as they inspected..."Next time try......" These leaders were teachers and trainers....they didn't just gig you, they offered solutions and many of the suggested solutions were "tricks" they had learned over the years and they shared them with me and other Marines. Ever hear about the "trick" of using a ration can on an M60 to make the rounds feed in smoother? Some tricks can actually make a significant difference in combat. (With MREs rations didn't work)

Please - just keep an open mind. If you can help these young men, please offer them a solution they can use and you can contribute to keeping the Corps squared away.

spit shine shoes, boots, boondockers ... what is patent leather Never seen that went in in 1957 to 1961

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    The coveralls thing would probably work if the captain of the ship would allow such a thing. At the end of wog day we all took all of our catsup, mustard peanut butter, oatmeal, raw eggs and whatever else you can think of; encrusted clothing and flung it into the sea. I'm sure it came clean eventually and washed up on some deserted island for gilligan to wear. The ships fire hoses were then turned on us so that we would be clean enough to go below decks. Ahh the rigors of becoming a shellback. What great memories. I'm sorry you missed out on it SSgt Petzold.

who here ate the cherry ? haha i just got my Shellback last year

Thread Information