Squared away uniform tricks... - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    uh, loose and down to the forearms? where'd you read that? on the back of a cereal box? it's two inches above the elbow and 4 fingers width... and if you really want to look like a turd you can have them loose but the last time I read the MCO there was nothing that said it's supposed to be loose.

who told you that devil?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    You can take a scuff out of your chorfams with a piece of duraglit. Do we still have duraglit?
    Bulk, my brother...you can bet your last dime they still have durglit...a poolie of mine wrote me she was shining some brasswork when she banged her finger or something and how awful it tasted!! LOL This Petzhold dude...I dunno bout him...PM me for more info...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    uh, loose and down to the forearms? where'd you read that? on the back of a cereal box? it's two inches above the elbow and 4 fingers width... and if you really want to look like a turd you can have them loose but the last time I read the MCO there was nothing that said it's supposed to be loose.

who told you that devil?
    correct me if i am wrong but i remember bieng told that the sleaves where the only thing aloud to be tailored on the chucks.

I think he means on the desert cammies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post

who told you that devil?
    Not really 4 finger widths by regs:

3. The combat utility uniform will be worn outside the trousers. When authorized by the commander, sleeves will be rolled with the inside out, forming a roll about three inches wide, and terminating at a point about two inches above the elbow.

Whenever wearing dress blues Id lock my belt buckle to the left side as Im wearing it of the first belt loop . This prevented the front of the blues from puffing out at the front. Gave them a little bit better cleaner look.

I remember the 4 inches rule, some Marines would put cardboard in their sleeves, to make sure it was exactly 4 inches.

Nothing better than to come out on Monday morning with a brand new fres haircut, boots with a shine so bright on them you could see your reflection, a set of cammies , that had the f*ck starched out of them, just awesome. Miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by PTurchan View Post
    Not really 4 finger widths by regs:

3. The combat utility uniform will be worn outside the trousers. When authorized by the commander, sleeves will be rolled with the inside out, forming a roll about three inches wide, and terminating at a point about two inches above the elbow.

I'd say that 4 fingers width is close to three inches unless you'd like to bust out the ruler every time.

but thanks for the quote, 'cause I was confused about the who rules the sleeves up thing.... though the time frame for that comes from HQMC now don't it?

Woodlands in the winter - sleeves down
    Deserts in the summer - sleeves up

I am unsure if the Base Commander gets to choose when the change over happens but I do know that in the beginning or end of the uniform swap they can extend the wearing of the previous uniform if the weather is extreme.

yeah , that's what I thought... I posted that in another thread. glad I was right

Thumbs up

I really hate labeling my gear with the white tape and block stamp kit.

I've started ordering the small nametapes for the Gortex jacket and sewing them into the collar of my cammies and the inside of my covers. I've liked it so much that I'm thinking of doing it to my service uniforms as well. Not sure about that, though.

It's not that expensive, the tapes are only about $2 and you need to have nametapes sewn on anyway. I'll gladly pay $2 to never have to worry about screwing around with the marking kit. And the MCO states the size and color of the letters, but not what they must be marked with. The order also specifically says that it can't be amplified by local commands.

It's a stupid outdated rule anyway. No point in having a name printed inside the collar of a blouse that has a name SEWN onto the front of it. Sure it made sense 30 years ago. Not anymore.

I used these http://www.conntext.com/.

What can be amplified by commands?
    "In order to standardize throughout the Marine Corps and prevent variation from station to station, no elaboration of the following guide for marking will be made, nor will any greater preciseness of location be prescribed"

How about your socks and underwear, are you going to label those with name tapes? I had my boot socks, dress socks, and about 10 briefs marked as it is required:

"7. Drawers. Outside, immediately below the waistband, near the front.
    15. Socks. Outside, on top of the foot."

I still use the white tapes for my service stuff, and I maintain a set of PT gear labeled.

I searched all over the place for something like that conntext. Thanks for sharing.

I got my nametapes from www.nametapes.com They actually had the Gortex tape.

I make a point of saying that uniform marking placement can't be mandated by local commands for the same reason I sew nametapes into my cammies. Because theres always a motivated Sgt that needs to be reminded that the orders are written at HQMC, not in his head. Knowing the order is your only defense.

True... I like the Conntext because I can easily swap em out and they held for a long time. Fairly inexpensive for a lot too. I really hated the look the stamp kits would get you. How about socks and drawers though? I never met a Marine who would even try to.

I've only seen it done on socks once. It was in MAT platoon at MCCES. I assume he was being a smartass. It looked horrible.

My PT socks are marked directly with the kit since they're white. Boot socks I don't bother with. Underwear I don't bother. I figure if they make it past my belt nametape and trouser nametape that should be good enough.

Thread Information