Squared away uniform tricks... - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    They make nice thin plastic ribbon backers now too. I used them in the Air Guard and as a police officer. Better than cardboard, especially when you're sweaty.
    They have had those for at 35 years. Available in PX.

Used to spray my Campaign Hat with hair spray and put it in the cover block. The brim was very stiff unless it was raining and when it rained the hair spray ran into my eyes. A trick to blousing utilities used to be springs with the 7.62MM slug removed from the shell and put inside the spring for weight. Usually took about 10 of them. The weight kept the trousers nice and tight where they were bloused. The problem was that when you walked, they rattled. Also used pledge on the cor-fam shoes.

Credits
    Savings
    I kept an extra Charlie shirt especially for Boards. It had been pressed to perfection. The best solution would have been to have it tailored, but I improvised. I actually stapled the creases / folds into place, below the belt line of course. That, along with the shirt suspenders made it almost inpossible to come undone during a Board. Since this basically ruined the shirt, definitely unservicable, I would take it off and hang it up immediately afterwards, so that it was ready to go next time.

I still wear the shirt suspenders for all dress shirts...I just feel unsat without them....15 years later. OOORAH

SFi
    C

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311 View Post
    Windex on the patent leathers a small piece of cardboard placed behind your charlie shirt to keep the medals straight.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

I used a small piece of the Brown Web belt. Held the medals in place and blended in with the shirt.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I seem to recall just the opposite when it came to Job's. We were gigged if the soles and heals looked brand new. It was better to have walked around in them for a few days, then get started your master piece spit shine.

When I worked in the company police shed... I had to stand next to the company tool kit for inspection. This chisel has been sharpened, gig. This hammer has imprints of nail heads on the face, gig. On and on.

Do What I Did Spend The Hole Weekend On Your Cammies And A Ton Of Stayflow. You Could Hear Me Walking They Were So Stiff.....lol....other Marines Would Ask Me To Do There Cammies For Boards.....lol

There was this guy in my platoon that used starch mixed with wood glue to iron his cammies and civvies...his cammies were hard as plastic and looked like crap, all shiny and stuff.

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thought I'd post this here it kinda fits.. we just got back from a visit to our Marine stationed at the 8th & I in D.C.. Before the Evening Parade on Friday we were able to hang out in Devs room on his deck. The guys were all wrapping wide masking tape around their waists several times (over the waistband of their trousers and about 6 inches up their undershirts) so I asked Dev whats with that. He said it not only helps them look even more tapered than they already are but helps their backs while they are standing so long. Was funny... they write little sayings on the tape, some of them very imaginative! I asked him if he would like one of those back support straps and he said nope.. Dad we Marines Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome remember? Cracked me up!

Last edited by DevsDad; 06-16-08 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling

I am currently at 8th and I and we do a lot of tricks to make our uniforms look top notch.
    Everyone at the barracks builds at least 2 barracks covers (one green and one white) from scratch. We use the frames/halos in current issue (flatten the halo so that the ega is almost parallel to the deck . A rag or cover that is at least one size smaller (Pull the eyelet out of the front with a pair of needle nose pliers very carefully, superglue the seam shut). A hangar (keeps the sides from pinching especially during parades). Masking tape holds the cover on. Tacking the cover in front to pull down and make the line straight and the seam straight all the way across. And a double wide chin strap to hide the tacks.
    As for Chuck shirts we take the large cpt's rank to blouse the back. We also use six shirt stays. i like taking electrical tape and taping three of the shirt stays together on one leg near the top and near the bottom keeps them from rubbing on the back of your knees. As for Ribbons. By taking the metal out of the ribbins and supergluing the ribbon to the former and then setting them on the bar then pinching the sides down making them flat makes them look a hell of a lot better.

As for Dress Blues. Building your own medals makes them better this a whole class all together. With white trousers pinning the trousers up on the front crease with (again) lrg Cpts rank high up on the trousers makes the crease look sharper than razors. As for the tape it holds it up and makes it stay in place.

Semper FI.

Credits
    Savings
    Welcoma aboard Neosa.

Looks to me like we have a resourse here.

Semper Fidelis!!!!

Windex on the patent leathers a small piece of cardboard placed behind your charlie shirt to keep the medals straight.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE

windex ruins the clear coating on the patent leather... use the proper bates shoe cleaner unless you like buying 60 dollar shoes every year.

great idead about the card board... but it's a better idea to find something that has one white side to it... like the seperator of one of those cube packs of pop.... that way the white doesn't stick out against the white shirt (most boots have the wool thin shirts).

I remember also seeing guys take a whole roll of toilet paper and hold it inside of their covers and take a hot iron and iron the top of the cover. I guess it was a way to make the top of the cover firm on top and not sink in the middle i never understood why they did it.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE

they were idiots.... anyone who didn't follow the MCO and the label conveniently stiched on the inside of the tri colors that stated they are NOT to be starched or ironed, is an idiot.... if you've ever looked at a starched pair with NVG's you literally glow like a light bulb.

the only creases authorized were the two on the sleeves... all others were not.

I had the order on me in case of surprise cammie inspections, my Sgt's hated that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can take a scuff out of your chorfams with a piece of duraglit. Do we still have duraglit?

I don't think so... 'cause I never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    they were idiots.... anyone who didn't follow the MCO and the label conveniently stiched on the inside of the tri colors that stated they are NOT to be starched or ironed, is an idiot.... if you've ever looked at a starched pair with NVG's you literally glow like a light bulb.

the only creases authorized were the two on the sleeves... all others were not.

I had the order on me in case of surprise cammie inspections, my Sgt's hated that.
    Well your also supposed to have your sleeves loose and down to the fore arm but only officers do that. Thats why i have garrison cammies and field ones. And i got them well marked lol.

Thread Information