Squared away uniform tricks... - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    i am also stationed at Marine Barracks 8th & I and we pretty much know most of the tricks plus some u may not have heard for keepin squared away uniforms. Anyone who needs help with somethin uniform related pm me an i should b able to help u out

For the dress blues cover: kind of hard to explain without getting out my crayons and such...

take a clothes hanger, break off/remove the hooked end, create a double U-shaped device with the metal ends made to wrap around the inside of the brim where the EGA is screwed into. This helps hold together the cover into a tight frame.

Take the standard plastic frame and fastener with the metal attachment for the big EGA and turn it inside out. This requires you to "smash" yes "smash" the catch for the EGA in order for it to be opposite of where it was, takes a bit to get the right angle for the EGA to fit in as the loop is now backwards of its original manufacture.

get a cloth cover that is smaller than the frame, wash and bleach to perfection

replace the standard issue black band on the front with the officers gear that is wider and doesnt slip as much.

once the cloth is secured tightly and without wrinkles on the frame use white push pins to secure the section on the front of the cover where the white cloth meets the black frame to prevent the white from sliding up and exposing the black frame as well as keeping a tight cloth devoid of wrinkles.

When this is all done, takes time practice, it will look as squared away as the goons from the Silent Drill team at 8th and I

All these tips and tricks are nice, but the only dress uniform I really ever wear are the blues for the USMC Ball every year, I wear coveralls to work more than I do utilities.

We have to wear chucks while on duty... taking care of all the drunk Marines. Also we do wall locker inspections and uniform inspections. Not bad for a grunt battalion huh? And who said we don't do garrison.

whats the saying, an inspection ready unit never makes it in combat, a combat ready unit never passes an inspection. Their is always exceptions to that though. Ive never had to wear chucks on duty before, they only makes us do that when stuff gets stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311 View Post
    I remember also seeing guys take a whole roll of toilet paper and hold it inside of their covers and take a hot iron and iron the top of the cover. I guess it was a way to make the top of the cover firm on top and not sink in the middle i never understood why they did it.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

That never made sense to me either.

All I did was spray the thing with starch and iron it using my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by EA-6BMarine View Post
    Ive never had to wear chucks on duty before, they only makes us do that when stuff gets stupid.
    Stupid is one of the key words in our daily routine lol

I'm gonna try the light soap inside my trouser and shirt creases and six shirt-stays. Ha ha I love the termed 'squared away' especially when it comes to uniforms.

this is one way to keep your chevrons on

instead of cardboard ive use a small piece of web belt leftover from when i cut it to back my ribbons and shooting badge.

Buy RS Gold
    Runescape Gold
    Rift Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by SundayForever View Post
    instead of cardboard ive use a small piece of web belt leftover from when i cut it to back my ribbons and shooting badge.

Buy RS Gold
    Runescape Gold
    Rift Platinum
    Hell for twenty years I threw the cut off web belt away.

Great idea !

Semper Fi

The first time I graduated Marine Security Guard School (1973), we had two complete sets of uniforms. One was perfect and always "inspection ready", the other was the set we actually wore day-to-day. Of course, that was pre-terrorism when embassy duty was all about spit-n-polish and look'n good (like Sea Duty).

The second time I graduated (1987) was during the global war on terrorism. Still had to look good but the emphasis then was more on function rather than spit-n-polish.

Rift Plat
    RS Gold
    Cheap Maplestory Mesos

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    The first time I graduated Marine Security Guard School (1973), we had two complete sets of uniforms. One was perfect and always "inspection ready", the other was the set we actually wore day-to-day. Of course, that was pre-terrorism when embassy duty was all about spit-n-polish and look'n good (like Sea Duty).

The second time I graduated (1987) was during the global war on terrorism. Still had to look good but the emphasis then was more on function rather than spit-n-polish.
    Top, your right MSGS has changed over the years.

I was stationed at Henderson Hall back in 1963-65 when the school was there. I worked in Bn Supply and gave instructions to SNCO's going to the school on requestioning procedures. We issued them their extra uniforms, including their Blues. I never got the chance to school myself. I understand it was a good ticket to get punched for your career.I didn't however as a 1StSgt get to screen Marines who wanted to apply for this duty. A couple of them did very well.

Thread Information