New Marine here, need some help with my Dress Blue bravos
Create Post

New Marine here, need some help with my Dress Blue bravos

Our Drill instructors never really taught us how to do uniform maintenance on our dress blue bravos, so i've been pretty much going around asking for help from more experianced Marines. I have a couple problems that i could use some help on.

1. How do i loosen the collar on the coat?

2. The dry cleaners took the buttons off of the sleeves (only the sleeves) and i can't quite figure out how to put the darned things back on.

that's all i've got for now, thanks for any and all help!

The Neck is tailored to fit the buttons I can't recall but someone will help you there. You will have to take the Dress Blues in to the tailor and they can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarhead222 View Post
    Our Drill instructors never really taught us how to do uniform maintenance on our dress blue bravos, so i've been pretty much going around asking for help from more experianced Marines. I have a couple problems that i could use some help on.

1. How do i loosen the collar on the coat?

2. The dry cleaners took the buttons off of the sleeves (only the sleeves) and i can't quite figure out how to put the darned things back on.

that's all i've got for now, thanks for any and all help!
    Don't forget your drill instructors had a lot going on teaching you not to be a sloppy civilian.

The blue's should include a ring with each individual button. Slip the back of the buttons in the holes on the jacket and the rings should clip on from the inside. Don't forget the orientation of the EGA.

The collar is tight for a reason. Loosening it will cause the entire front of the coat to 'sag'. However, if you choose to do this, take it to a USMC tailor and not some mom n pop shop.

Buttons as stated should have some metal clips on them.

Also for your buttons, seeing as you probably got the same issue I did. The ones from PI now the buttons do not have the "rings" as mentioned above. They are tailored on like a normal button on a jacket.

IF you had your BUTTONS REDONE with the new shiny, anodized ones their is a set of rings and buttons (rings and buttons can also be bought separately) one can purchase at your local MCX. The button should loop through the hole, slip the ring in on the inside of the blouse and this should attach the button.

If this is not the case and they just took them off and did not fit the blouse for them, I'd take the blouse to the cleaners and explain the situation. They should fix it seeing as it would be their mistake.

As a Sea Cop for 2 years,I wore my Dress blues many ,many times.I had actually shined the buttons so often,some of the raised parts where actually being shined off...as in "Old Salts" that filed there tie bars down to bare metal,and then used jewelers rouge and Brasso to get the little scratches out.
    highly illegal,but most did it.Same thing with the Sea Going Dip and the barracks cover.We would take as much as we could get away with,and then the Skipper would reign us in.I preferred the **** Cutter for Libbo,as there was nothing to shine,and if I had to go with the Barracks cover,I had 2,one for duty and honor guard,and one for Libbo,that if it got scuffed up in a bar fight,no big deal!
    The neck was tight like all commented before,and I couldn't wait to get the Bravo's off after using them.
    Semper Fi

Just purchase a new set of the anodized buttons and take your blues back to the cleaners and have the button holes redone. You can put the buttons on your self and the newer buttons look a whole lot better than the dull brass ones, one a plus side will save you time later on down the road if you plan on staying in. The collar on your coat is supposed to be tight if it is too tight have it refitted at the tailors you have probally put on some pounds since boot camp.

Semper Fi, Marine

Thread Information