Squared away uniform tricks...
Create Post
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Squared away uniform tricks...

I just replied to another member's post about sleeve rolling and it got me thinking. Who here remembers their old "tricks of the trade" for squaring away your uniform?
    My biggest memories are:
    1. Mop'n'Glo on your boots to shine them up
    2. Cutting off the buttons on your pockets and then sewing them flat.
    3. Taking your cover to Mama-san in Oki for the cement-like starch treatment (I got out in 2002 and my woodland cover is still hard as a rock).

Ahh....the memories!

Share yours!

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Windex on the patent leathers a small piece of cardboard placed behind your charlie shirt to keep the medals straight.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

On "The Rock",all our utilities were starched rock hard.
    You had to be careful about the scivie draws.
    We used a thing called ,five day deoderant pads,on our dress shoes.You need a 2nd pair,just in case.

These were all great things back when the utilities were made for that kind of thing. With the new rough side out boot and the wash and wear camis its not necessary. The piece of cardboard behind the ribbons/medals is still good though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311
    Windex on the patent leathers a small piece of cardboard placed behind your charlie shirt to keep the medals straight.

They make nice thin plastic ribbon backers now too. I used them in the Air Guard and as a police officer. Better than cardboard, especially when you're sweaty.

instead of cardboard ive use a small piece of web belt leftover from when i cut it to back my ribbons and shooting badge.

What works better than the card board or web belt is a ear plug cut into two pieces. Put one each on each post of the backer and then you don't have to worry about the corners of the cardboard poking out after a few hours.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When you are in garrison and doing your laundry, grab a book and stand by the dryer and the second the dryer stops pull all your cammies out and neatly fold them before they cool. Do it right and they look like they have been pressed.

Duraglit will take a scuff off of chorfams.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

I remember also seeing guys take a whole roll of toilet paper and hold it inside of their covers and take a hot iron and iron the top of the cover. I guess it was a way to make the top of the cover firm on top and not sink in the middle i never understood why they did it.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

they make inserts for the covers now. i know i haven't been in long but a trick before i bought the springs for blousing my boots was tie 2 bands together

Floor wax on the black boots looked like hell if you didn't prep the leather first. A few students at sea school received scowls and demerits when instructors noticed scuff marks and debris underlying a curious glossy finish. They strongly recommended stripping and spit shining before 0400 reveille hehehehe

Six shirt stays on the charlie shirt, if it fits properly, makes it almost look tailored to your body. No wrinkles, no nothing. I was getting compliments all day on graduation day of my MOS school, my nickname was "Crisp"

i actually recently heard about it and thought about doing that myself.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Rock hards were very uncomfortable in the summer and to be squared away a fresh set of boards was needed for each day. As I remember it cost about a buck per set. It was money well spent because it showed up on pros and cons and fitness reports.

Jim

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

By 'SHIRT STAYS' ....

Quote Originally Posted by Achped
    Six shirt stays on the charlie shirt, if it fits properly, makes it almost look tailored to your body. No wrinkles, no nothing. I was getting compliments all day on graduation day of my MOS school, my nickname was "Crisp"
    ... do you mean the 'garters' ??

Two things I hate, are shirts that won't stay DOWN, and socks that won't stay UP. So.. hook them together !!

I wear the garters all the time.... pi$$es the C.O. off to... cause my t'shirt is tucked in (if that's what I'm wearing). In the office, still sharp and squared away, all day long.

Oh....... and ... watch the 'gig' line !!!!!!!!!

Thread Information