No access to a pullup bar, but...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No access to a pullup bar, but...

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a pullup bar, but no luck. Hell I can't even find some monkey bars or a horizontal tree branch to grab on to. Right now I don't have the money for a gym membership or a doorway pullup bar, but I DO have access to a lateral pull-down weight machine.

Until I can get a hold of a proper bar to do pullups on, does anyone know a the lat-pulldown machine will suffice? I know it's not a substitute for the real thing, but until then I need something to keep those muscles from just going to complete waste.

Yes that is what i used for awhile. They wouk your back muscles and other muscles depending on ur grip.

No bar at school?

buy one man, its like 30 bucks at a sporting good store, way worth it.

Throw a folded towel over your door and do them that way...that's what I do, and it works.

Kinda off topic... But doing wide pullups will work the muscles more and make doing shoulder length ones easier correct?

I didn't have a pull-up bar for a while, but here's what I did instead:

push-ups
    crunches
    diamond ups (place your hands close to each in a diamond other and do push-ups; works your triceps)
    ghetto dip bar (I hope you have a BATH at your house )

All of those things will help you with pull-ups. In the mean time keep looking for a spare $30. I got mine for free from my recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan
    I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a pullup bar, but no luck. Hell I can't even find some monkey bars or a horizontal tree branch to grab on to. Right now I don't have the money for a gym membership or a doorway pullup bar, but I DO have access to a lateral pull-down weight machine.

Until I can get a hold of a proper bar to do pullups on, does anyone know a the lat-pulldown machine will suffice? I know it's not a substitute for the real thing, but until then I need something to keep those muscles from just going to complete waste.
    I made a pullup bar while I was a Poolee.

Go to home depot/lowes and buy some steel gas pipe, your choice of size. I bought 4, 4 foot pipes for the sides, and one 5 foot pipe for the bar.

Dig a hole about 1 foot deep with and fill it with cement, then put the two bottom poles in the two holes. After the cement hardens just attach the rest of the puzzle and you've got yourself an almost indestructable pull up bar. It'll probably cost you about 30 bucks and you'll get a workout while making it.

You may also want to ask your recruiter if he has gym passes that you can use.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How about a freakin' tree limb? You got trees in your yard? Improvise...........Adapt...............Overcome

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    How about a freakin' tree limb? You got trees in your yard? Improvise...........Adapt...............Overcome
    Yea just use a tree limb, thats what I have always used.

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan
    Hell I can't even find some monkey bars or a horizontal tree branch to grab on to. Right now I don't have the money for a gym membership or a doorway pullup bar, but I DO have access to a lateral pull-down weight machine.
    If that's all you've got, then use it like crazy. Give your Recruit Station a visit every other day and use the bar they've got.

Actually, good news. I just got a call back from the temp-job I applied to and got hired. Looks like I'll be able to afford a pullup bar no problem now. Either that or a YMCA membership. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Kinda off topic... But doing wide pullups will work the muscles more and make doing shoulder length ones easier correct?
    I'm no expert, but from what I gather the answer is no. It doesn't necessarily work the muscles more, it just changes the angle and potentially puts more stress on your shoulders and rotators. Again, I'm not the most informed person on this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dig a hole about 1 foot deep with and fill it with cement, then put the two bottom poles in the two holes. After the cement hardens just attach the rest of the puzzle and you've got yourself an almost indestructable pull up bar. It'll probably cost you about 30 bucks and you'll get a workout while making it
    Haha sounds like an interesting setup. Personally, I dropped $20 on a pullup bar from Dicks.. but I'm sure I didn't have near as much fun installing it

I made one in shop in highschool but seein as your not in high school and probably don't have access to a welder and some metal i'd just buy one.

Thread Information